1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Staff Post Competitive Q&A

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Noctis, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Noctis

Noctis *this message has been removed*

PokéPoints:
    ₽65.0
    Recently the Help section in this area of the forums has been removed. We are now using this thread for Help about anything Competitive Related.

Do you have a question?

Post in here and we will attend to your question as soon as possible.

Any very helpful/useful questions will be updated here into the OP for all to see.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    East likes this.
  2. MrTimtendo

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    May I get clarification on how Mega Evolving works? I know about the typings and that Speed changes don't take place until the turn after you Mega Evolve, but I need some clarification with the abilities lol.

When Mega Evolving...
    - How do passive abilities (ones that trigger under specific scenarios work) with non-Megas, like Flash Fire on Houndoom, Rough Skin on Garchomp, Justified on Gallade and Lightning Rod on Manectric work? Can they still trigger in the same turn you Mega Evolve? (i.e. if Garchomp Mega Evolves and is attacked directly, does the attacker take Rough Skin damage?)

- Abilities that affect turn order (such as Chlorophyll on Venusaur, Prankster on Sableye), would they still receive their "artificial speed" under their respective scenarios and have the Mega Evolution under their belt? Say if Venusaur Mega Evolves and has Chlorophyll beforehand and it is sunny, he would still have his speed doubled, but also receive the benefits of Thick Fat?
    And what about abilities that affect turn order after one has Mega Evolved (i.e. Prankster on Mega Banette)? I'm guessing Prankster doesn't kick in for it until after?

- Finally, with power boosting abilities (let's say Solar Power on Charizard), and then evolves into Charizard Y, would he get his Drought up AND get the Solar Power boost (and then the recoil afterward)?

==========

Also I have some other questions regarding Foul Play.

- Its damage is not affected if the opponent is burned, but if the user is burned because Burn cuts the Attack by half?

- Holding something like a Choice Band or Life Orb still boosts Foul Play by 50% and 30% respectively and in the case of the former, it uses the target's Attack Stat and boosts it by 1.5x?

- And although this one is an oddball (because no Pokémon have this combo legally lol), what happens if a Pokémon with Foul Play has Unaware, but the opponent still has stat boosts in their Attack? Is it still boosted? (I'm curious cause I may get into the "Almost Any Ability" meta lol)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Noctis

PokéPoints:
    ₽65.0
    Once a Pokémon evolves, it's ability when it isn't Mega-Evolved will change to the new Ability when it is Mega-Evolved. Therefore, if you want Rough Skin to proc on Garchomp, for example, you shouldn't Mega-Evolve it. Sometimes it's better to hold off on the Mega-Evolving in specific situations depending how well the ability works in said situation. Especially when it comes to typing change.

If they do evolve, they will absolutely not have the abilities that they originally had. So, if in the Sun, Mega-Venusaur will lose it's speed since it's ability changes to Thick Fat. However, there are some Pokémon that do keep their stats after Mega-Evolving, depending on the kind of ability it is. Lets take Gyarados's Moxie for example. If you knock out a Pokémon with Gyarados before Mega-Evolving it, it receives an Attack Boost. If you Mega-Evolve it afterwards, it'll still have it's Attack Boost.

For Charizard my previous explanation should answer that.

---------

If the opponent is burned, the outcome of Foul Play will remain the same. Meaning, though the opponent's stat is cut in half from the burn, that doesn't mean it'll affect your damage.

If you are holding a Life Orb while using Foul Play, it'll increase the damage from your Foul Play. If your opponent is holding Life Orb and you are not, your damage will remain the same as if the opponent were not holding the Life Orb; If you use Foul Play against an opponent that is holding Life Orb then the damage will not increase due to it.

For this last question... I'm not too sure. lol

4. dellishuz

dellishuz Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽5.0
    Hello there guys! I'm new here, i was introduced to this lovely place by WainGuy, but I'm pretty mediocre at Pokémon. I've been watching people play Pokémon for a while and some terms about competitive battling confound me. What is EV and how do I set about maximizing my Pokémon's EV and/or IV (if thats the same thing?). A quick thank you to all responses, have a nice day :)

5. YouHoney

YouHoney Snow wanderer

PokéPoints:
    ₽135.9
    Ok imma give you few links:

http://serebii.net/games/evs.shtml Here is a vast explanation what EV's are and how do they work

And if you play games from gen 6, you can just use Super Training to give your Pokémon EV's

And IV'v are breeding stuff. Here is a link to it too

http://serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml

I know its complex at first, but trust me it is pretty easy to understand once you get the hang of it. I suggest you search some YouTube videos to understand it fully.

Hope this helps! <3

@[member="dellishuz"] Also welcome to the forums!!!

6. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    Welcome in! If you want to learn about IV's and EV's, we have a bunch of Tutorials that could help! Here's one on IV's and EV's written by Xarn. I hope that helps!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me, or another mentor or staff member! I hope to see you around! ^-^

7. MrTimtendo

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Does anyone know how it works if say, in a Double Battle, your partner has Storm Drain and one of your opponent's Pokémon has Storm Drain, and either side uses a Water move, who does it get redirected to? Does it go to its intended target? Does the Speed of the wielder with Storm Drain play a role? =P

8. The Royal Aegis

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    Is Lillipup usable in LC

9. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    If two Pokémon have Storm Drain in a multi battle, the faster Pokémon will draw the attack. In the event of a speed tie, the Pokémon who has been on the field longest will draw the attack.

Lillipup is indeed legal in LC. If you're asking the viability, pretty much every Pokémon in LC is viable. Here's a set I'd personally recommend:
    Lillipup @ Choice Band
    Ability: Vital Spirit
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Crunch
    - Retaliate
    - Play Rough
    - Fire Fang

10. The Royal Aegis

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    Thanks Bryce. I can't wait to set this baby puppy loose on everyone. Who would you partner with it

11. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    @[member="BlackNeko~Chan"] personally, I think that a good partner would be a Gastly. It's very powerful, but a glass cannon as well. Works very well with Lillipup's Retaliate :)

12. That Weirdd Guy

That Weirdd Guy PKMN Breeder

Buddy
    (Sableye)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽27.4
    Quick question, in light of the general uncompetetiveness of full baton pass teams, what is the policy when it comes to baton pass users in the Lake Valor server?

Edit: Just read that it is 3 per team, what do you guys think of smogon's rule of not being able to baton pass another stat plus speed? So no Quiver or smash passers, but calm mind/nasty plot/etc. can be.

13. Merdrabolt

Merdrabolt Hex Maniac

Umbra
    (Zorua)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3.1
    Darkinum Z ★★★★Slowpoke Tail ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I finally got a shiny Riolu after way too many eggs and I'm not sure what moves and EV's I should give it...
    I will say that it's gonna be my mega evolver and I want it to have Aura sphere but I'm not sure what else...
    It has 5 IV's, all but speed sadly, but I imagine its speed is pretty good considering I used two 6 IV Pokémon to breed it.
    Also its nature is Lonely and it was bred to have Bullet punch, Blaze kick, High jump Kick and Crunch. But I don't mind getting rod of
    those moves, it only has them because that's what moves my other Lucario had.
    I wouldn't mind any suggestions or tips because I'm kinda new to this sort of thing and I don't want to screw up my favourite Pokémon...

Noctis likes this.
  14. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    To be perfectly honest, if you plan on using it seriously in a competitive setting you are far better off getting a perfect non-shiny lucario. In both of the formats that Mega Lucario are allowed in (Ubers for Smogon Singles and VGC), positive speed natures are required. Having a lucario without a perfect speed IV will cause it to be outsped easily by Pokémon it should be able to outspeed, and with Lucario's abysmal defences you won't survive attacks from fairly weak opponents.

As for movesets, I would recommend consulting the Smogon strategy dex and looking at the recommended sets for the tier that you intend to play in. If you're not sure you whether you want play by Smogon rules or by VGC rules I would look at both and see which sounds more interesting to you. There are some amazing YouTube videos explaining the difference between these.

But if you intend to battle friends who aren't maximising their IVs or EV training their Pokémon then your Lucario will be fine.

Sorry for the rambly response, I just need a bit more information to answer your question in more detail. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions, I probably didn't explain this very well.

15. Noctis

PokéPoints:
    ₽65.0
    First off, congrats on finally getting that guy! I know it must have been tough doing it on your own!

With that being said, I would advise following @[member="Reborn"] 's advice, Lucario has always been very dependent on it's speed. With how easy it is to access different shiny values thanks to forums and the internet, finding decently strong shinies with perfect stats that haven't been "hacked" is still fairly easy just as long as you get together with a person who has the same shiny value as your egg.

With that being said, Lucario should be built like this in my opinion:

[3D='lucario']
    Lucario @ Lucarionite
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature

Bullet punch is a great move to have on it! I'd follow that bullet punch with a swords dance and Iron Tail/Close Combat. Or both if you prefer!

I highly recommend you looking into Shiny Values to get that ultimately perfect, shiny you want.

16. Merdrabolt

Merdrabolt Hex Maniac

Umbra
    (Zorua)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3.1
    There is a small tournament coming up near to where I live and I feel like taking part (even though I suck at competitive battling)
    I want to give Stealth Rock to my Tyrantrum but I'm not sure what move to remove..... It has Crunch and the three elemental fangs (fire, thunder, ice)
    I'm mostly deciding between fire fang and thunder fang but I'm still not sure....

17. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    This depends a whole bunch of things. First off the format. Is it singles, doubles, 6v6, 3v3 or 4v4 (VGC). Then what the rest of your team is and what Pokémon you struggle against. I will say that Tyrantrum isn't the most reliable rocks setter since it has a poor defensive typing and bulk with below average speed, and the main draw to using it is that it has a very spammable STAB options in Head Smash and Dragon Claw/Outrage. This is why every common Tyrantrum set is very offensive, either being a set up sweeper or Choiced in some way.

I will say that all of the fang moves are very situational and generally aren't worth taking up a move slot. Take thunder fang for example. It has 65 base damage with no STAB. Then look at Head Smash which has 150 base power + STAB, making that 225. Therefore a resisted Head Smash does similar damage to a super effective thunder fang (112 compared to 130). So in the hypothetical situation where you fight something that resists rock but it weak to electric, like Empoleon, Head Smash and Thunder fang do very similar damage so you may as well click Head Smash to cover a switch.

I really can't give you too much more help without knowing more about your team, the format that you're playing in and what Pokémon you expect to be up against but I can say that basically all of your current moves are practically never run on Tyrantrum since they don't capitalise on what Tyrantrum is bet at, coming in and getting a kill, since these moves have low base power and no STAB.

18. Merdrabolt

Merdrabolt Hex Maniac

Umbra
    (Zorua)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3.1
    I'm trying to make a Lugia with Mulitscale on showdown and whenever I try to validate it, it says:
    "Lugia is only obtainable via event - it needs to match one of its events."
    What does that mean exactly?

19. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    Multiscale is the Hidden Ability of Lugia and it's impossible to get a Lugia with Multiscale unless it's from the Dream Radar. One of its moves or its Nature is probably not legal in combination with its HA, but I'm not sure about the details.

20. Merdrabolt

Merdrabolt Hex Maniac

Umbra
    (Zorua)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3.1
    Uhh.... Its moves are toxic, whirlwind, reflect and roost... Its nature is bold....