Background Changer

Background Style & Options

Background Image Rotator

Create a list of background images to use and a random one from the list will be used each time you refresh or go to a different page!

Color Scheme Changer

Width Changer

Minimum allowed width is 960px, default width is 87%.
Welcome to our site, Guest!
If you're new, why not join us? If not, click here to sign in.

Photo
Discussion

Competitive Q&A

WainGuy Battling

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:16 AM

Reborn
    Reborn

Signature Creator

• VIP
  • 468 posts

User's Awards

Uhh.... Its moves are toxic, whirlwind, reflect and roost... Its nature is bold....

That set should be valid. What format is this for?

#22 Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:20 AM

Merdrabolt

User's Awards

That set should be valid. What format is this for?

VGC 2016 Doubles

#23 Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:54 AM

Reborn
    Reborn

Signature Creator

• VIP
  • 468 posts

User's Awards

VGC 2016 Doubles

That would be why. VGC has the pentagon rule mening the Pokemon have to be bred/obtainable in the current game (ORAS in this case). There's no way to get Multiscale Lugia in ORAS, so you need to run pressure.

Lugia is also generally accepted as unviable in VGC16, especially the set that you are using. There is a strategy which uses Lugia, where a partner Fling's a Salac berry to Lugia, giving it +1 speed whilst simultaneously activating Lugia's Weakness policy. You also want to practically always run protect unless it's for a very important reason, e.g. you're choiced or you need the 4th moveslot drastically. 

#24 Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:03 AM

Merdrabolt

User's Awards

That would be why. VGC has the pentagon rule mening the Pokemon have to be bred/obtainable in the current game (ORAS in this case). There's no way to get Multiscale Lugia in ORAS, so you need to run pressure.

Lugia is also generally accepted as unviable in VGC16, especially the set that you are using. There is a strategy which uses Lugia, where a partner Fling's a Salac berry to Lugia, giving it +1 speed whilst simultaneously activating Lugia's Weakness policy. You also want to practically always run protect unless it's for a very important reason, e.g. you're choiced or you need the 4th moveslot drastically. 

Ahh, thats annoying... thanks for the info though~ I'll give it a think and see what happens

#25 Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:22 AM

Maantijger

User's Awards

Uhh.... Its moves are toxic, whirlwind, reflect and roost... Its nature is bold....

Don't know what the problem is then, I'd just use Pressure Lugia.

RcGt2aY.gif

#26 Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

Merdrabolt

User's Awards

Would it be worth teaching my Lucario follow me to absorb fake out?

Or to similarly  absorb a dark move if I have one with Justified?

Or would it just be better to completely focus on damage?

It will be in a double battle by the way....

#27 Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

Reborn
    Reborn

Signature Creator

• VIP
  • 468 posts

User's Awards

Would it be worth teaching my Lucario follow me to absorb fake out?

Or to similarly  absorb a dark move if I have one with Justified?

Or would it just be better to completely focus on damage?

It will be in a double battle by the way....

Fake Out has a higher priority than Follow Me, so that's irrelevant. And even if it had a higher priority than Fake Out, you wouldn't flinch because you would have already moved, meaning you wouldn't get the Steadfast boost (which is what I'm assuming you're getting at here). Considering how much of a Glass Cannon Lucario is, using Follow Me seems counter intuitive. You don't want Lucario to be taking hits, you want it to be picking up KOs before your opponent can attack it, since even resisted attacks can hurt with STAB. But the real question is, why use Lucario in doubles anyway? In its non mega state Lucario really does leave a lot to be desired. It's offensive typing is nice, but it faces a lot of competition from faster, stronger and bulkier fighting types like Terrakion. Yes they patch different holes that may be in a team, but being outsped by Mega Kang really doesn't help it.

If you are going to use it, I suppose a Mixed set would make the most sense to take advantage of its higher base sp.atk and to make it less susceptible to Intimidate. Inner Focus is probably your best bet to allow it to have a guaranteed KO on Mega Kang assuming they don't switch out or are running the fairly uncommon Protect Kang. Close Combat, Flash Cannon and Protect are mandatory on a set like this. Then you have a choice between quite a few interesting moves. Extreme Speed is probably your best form of priority (since without the adaptability boost, bullet punch won't be hitting particularly hard and E speed has greater neutral coverage), Substitute could be used to shield you from status from slower Pokemon like Amoonguss or to take advantage of an obvious double Protect, Feint can be used to ensure you secure a KO on a Pokemon even if they use Protect and has a higher priority than E speed and Helping Hand could be a niche move to power up your allies attacks. Max Speed is a must, and you should get a good split between physical and special attack to ensure you pick up the KOs that you need to. Naive nature makes the most sense to minimise damage taken by priority moves (which are almost entirely physical, the only special priority move I can think of is Vacuum Wave which Lucario wouldn't appreciate anyway).

#28 Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

Vegeta
    Vegeta

Now here's a little lesson in T R I C K E R Y

• Contributor
  • 1,734 posts

User's Awards

Here's a morsel I need some help on.

Meteor form Minior vs Carracosta.

Assume 31 IVs in Speed. Ignore EV investment in Speed stat also for now.

Carracosta uses Shell Smash. Gets the two stage speed boost.

So how then could a Meteor form Minior still manage to outspeed the turtle? It must've been scarfed, right? Because unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious, I'm at a loss here as to how this was possible...

Rowlet Adoptable Jirachi Adoptable Shiny Totodile Adoptable Shiny Sylveon Adoptable Shiny Jirachi Adoptable Christmas Azelf Adoptable

web projects: gym booking system | electronic parts distributor (TBA)

7nfDLD3.png

Software developer by day. Hermit writer by night.
nothing is impossible chasing a super hero on the run

#29 Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

❀Bloom❀

User's Awards

Here's a morsel I need some help on.

Meteor form Minior vs Carracosta.

Assume 31 IVs in Speed. Ignore EV investment in Speed stat also for now.

Carracosta uses Shell Smash. Gets the two stage speed boost.

So how then could a Meteor form Minior still manage to outspeed the turtle? It must've been scarfed, right? Because unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious, I'm at a loss here as to how this was possible...

Yes in meteor form it would have to have a scarf.

With max ivs, evs, and a beneficial nature after shell smash carracosta would have 358 speed while a scarfed meteor form minior would have 360. 

Shiny Shaymin Adoptable Shiny Sylveon Adoptable Shiny Origin Giratina Adoptable Shiny Jirachi Adoptable Shiny Volcarona Adoptable Shiny Mew Adoptable

J2GH8Kz.gif

QjtcVlw.gif

J2GH8Kz.gif

#30 Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

Vegeta
    Vegeta

Now here's a little lesson in T R I C K E R Y

• Contributor
  • 1,734 posts

User's Awards

Awh man, two points in the difference!? I feel robbed, haha. Oh well, back to the drawing board with Carracosta I guess.

Rowlet Adoptable Jirachi Adoptable Shiny Totodile Adoptable Shiny Sylveon Adoptable Shiny Jirachi Adoptable Christmas Azelf Adoptable

web projects: gym booking system | electronic parts distributor (TBA)

7nfDLD3.png

Software developer by day. Hermit writer by night.
nothing is impossible chasing a super hero on the run

#31 Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:24 PM

Strytho
    Strytho

Tactical & Special Ball Breeder

• VIP
  • 772 posts

User's Awards

A dated question but what would you guys recomend for a hail team in sun.  I have slush rush sandslash and snow warning ninetales to start with but I'm not certain what else to uses.

Sandslash @ Life Orb/Chople Berry
5IV Missing SpA
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Ninetales @ light clay
5IV Missing Atk
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

What do you guys think I could or should do with this?

Bulbasaur Adoptable Shiny Totodile Adoptable Shiny Mega Rayquaza Adoptable Shiny Mew Adoptable

pre_1454910103__signature.png

Thank you Wizard for the awesome signature!

#32 Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:50 AM

Reborn
    Reborn

Signature Creator

• VIP
  • 468 posts

User's Awards

A dated question but what would you guys recomend for a hail team in sun.  I have slush rush sandslash and snow warning ninetales to start with but I'm not certain what else to uses.

Sandslash @ Life Orb/Chople Berry
5IV Missing SpA
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Ninetales @ light clay
5IV Missing Atk
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

What do you guys think I could or should do with this?

I'm assuming this is for use in OU. Honestly I'm not all that familiar with the current OU metagame but I do know that Sandslash + Ninetales isn't too viable. Ninetales is a strong option due to its access to Aurora veil and that's about it, and with its poor defensive typing Sandslash just doesn't take advantage of it like you would hope. Stacking ice types isn't the best thing to do, again because of the numerous weaknesses they have. Really if you want a weather abuser you'd be better off with something like Ttar + Excadrill or rain.

If however this team is for VGC where the core is more usable, I would recommend these sets instead.

Ninetales-Alola @ Focus Sash  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Blizzard  
- Aurora Veil  
- Freeze-Dry  
- Protect

Sandslash-Alola @ Groundium Z  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Icicle Crash  
- Iron Head  
- Protect

As for teammates, again it depends on the format. For singles, hazards are massively important to both have and remove. A defogger like Tapu Fini could make sense, and hazard setters like Lando-T and Ferrothorn could work. Really I couldn't tell you without just making a team for you, what you choose should be based on the other choices you've made. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users