1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Article Myths and Pokemon

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Shada, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shada

Shada netflix binging

(Taillow)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽252.7
    Repel ★Charizardite X ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Bottle Cap ★★★★★
    Have you ever noticed how some Pokémon just "came out of the blue", or that they don't resemble animals, or anything at all?
    Take a look at Absol for example. What exactly is that...thing? It's animal like, but it doesn't seem to resemble any animal that we really know of. Or does it?
    Of course, not all Pokémon are based off of animals, as tons of Pokémon are based off of myths. (And that doesn't mean all of them are Japanese!) In this article today, we'll show you 10 of the amazing myths that some Pokémon originated from that you probably didn't know of!
    • Have you ever seen a tengu mask? If not, I think you should take a look at a Shiftry. Even though most masks are red, tengus aren't really blood suckers. Tengus are known to be guardians of the forest, in which, the concept is similar to Shiftry. [X] [3D='275']
    • Sableyes were originally based off of a Hopkins, Kentucky paranormal activity. In 1955, there were a series of incidents that people thought that goblin-like aliens existed! Also, the reason why Sableye is immune to normal type moves, because as the story goes, bullets would bounce off their bodies! That's some Magic Bounce! [3D='302']
    • Jynx is not based off of Nicki Minaj, rather it's a reference to the Japanese tale of yamanba. These creatures would live in mountains, and when travelers came, they ate them! [3D='124']
    • [3D='145']Zapdos is based off of a Native American mythological bird, who could produce thunder with a flap of its wings. As for Moltres and Ho-oh, they're both based off of fire birds! Moltres is based off of a phoenix, hence the flames, while Ho-Oh is based off of Chinese phoenix which is called a Fenghuang. As for the name in Japan as it adapted into Japanese culture, it's literally called, "Ho-o". [3D='146'] [3D='250']
    • Doesn't Frostlass look like a lady in a kimono? If you ever heard of the tale of Yuki-Onna, a kimono obi wearing woman who would lure people to the cold and kill them. Frostlass wears a kimono and a obi, and this also explains that Frostlass is 100 percent female.[3D='478']
    • There's also another Pokémon that's based off of a woman who kills things. Have you ever noticed that Mawile looks like a girl? It's based off a tale called, futkachi-onna, which was about a farmer's wife who ate from the back of her head. As the tale goes, she literally ate his entire house! [3D='303']
    • Litwick is based off of a Hitodama, which are similar to will o'wisps, and have a colored light near where people passed away. They aren't evil, rather they're just the souls of the dead trying to find their way to the afterlife. In Pokémon Black/White you usually find these critters in the Celestial tower, a resting place for dead Pokémon. [3D='607']
    • Last but not least, Absol is a legend based off of the Chinese, in which a beast with white fur taught the emperor how to beat supernatural beasts. In Japanese culture, it warns people about upcoming disasters, similar to Absol's Pokédex entry. [3D='359']
    ---
    So, what did you think about these Pokémon and their myths? Did you know some of these tales beforehand? Do any of these facts change your perspective of that Pokémon?
    Which Pokémon has the coolest myth in your opinion?
    Would you be interested in reading more of these in the future?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    Wow, I didn't know most of these! Especially Shiftry and Sableye!

But I was wondering about the Creation Trio and Kyurem. I know that the Creation Trio s based of some myth, but I don't know what. And also Kyurem, since Reshiram and Zekrom are based of the Yin Yang.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Kyurem comes from third (or zero-th) part of the Yin and Yang pair. First off, Yin and Yang aren't good and evil, they're just emphasized and un-emphasized by proper Chinese society. High and low, male and female, clean and dirty. Those pairs aren't good and bad, they're just opposites for which only one is typically emphasized (and Daoists emphasize both). Kyurem's part, Wuji, is either the middleground of those two opposites or the complete lack of them at all.

(Chapter 28 of the Dao De Jing is one of my favorites and very clearly describes the "not good-and-evil, and emphasize both yin and yang" part of Daoism. I found a site with multiple translations here if anyone wants to read)

So here's two things regarding the Unova trio: First, Zekrom isn't evil, and Reshiram isn't good. The power of Truth is emphasized in Chinese culture (especially Chin Dynasty legalism), whereas personal hopes, dreams, and fantasies are probably less focused upon in that society. Secondly, Reshiram and Zekrom are both Dragon plus a high-energy type: Fire and Electric, not Rock and Poison or whatever. Kyurem is Dragon plus a lack of energy. Reshi and Zek are both different kinds of energetic types, while Kyurem is low-energy for his part in the Wuji of being impartial to the two opposites, empty of whatever energy he may have once had.

(Side note, something else I wish they would have done: Daoism also has a high emphasis on water, how it easily flows from place to place, not forcing its way but going with the flow, but still carves out canyons and valleys. Reshi and Zek are physical and special, Kyurem has good balanced offense. I wish there was a fourth to represent Wu-Wei, the Daoist concept of the physical virtues of water, which could have appropriately had a defensively-oriented shuffle of Kyurem's stats. But that's just me.)

4. Vaporstar4x4

Stephy
    (Jirachi Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,087.7
    Dunsparce is based the creature called the Tsuchinoko. There is no proof that the Tsuchinoko exists but it is said to originate in Japan. According to sightings, the Tsuchinoko looks a little like an overweight snake with a flattened midsection. Instead of slithering, the it is said to inch forward like a snail. Other legends say that it can leap great distances, which could explain Dunsparce's wings. The Tsuchinoko also has twin fangs, another trait shared Dunsparce has.

5. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    Thank you for the explanation! Though I know Zekrom isn't evil, it bugs me for somebody to say that Reshiram isn't good, because I love Reshiram (and Zekrom).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.