1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What is the most unique build you've seen on a Pokemon Competitively?

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Noctis, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noctis

Noctis *this message has been removed*

PokéPoints:
    ₽65.0
    Something that is not completely in the Meta, but it still worked well to the user's advantage.

Honestly Se Jun's Pachirisu used in the 2014 Championships still blows my mind to this day. Who would have thought that a little Pachirisu could tank like that?

Outside of that though, I've seen one person using Victreebell with Leftovers. It had Sucker Punch, Body Slam, Swords Dance, and I'm not too sure what the fourth move was because they never used it. It was... absolutely terrifying once it was set up. I got destroyed instantly lol. ^_^

What about you all?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. shinygiratinaz

shinygiratinaz Boats Against the Current

PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    The most unique set I have seen was in Doubles OU. This guy pulled out a tyranitar and a swoobat, which already confused me. The tyranitar went mega, which I expected, but the swoobat didn't set up calm mind like I anticipated. It instead used follow me on the tyranitar to let it use rock slide immediately after the swoobat moved. The swoobat must've been scarfed, because it outsped my weavile. I eventually took it down, but not after the duo took down two of my Pokémon.

I've never seen anyone else using a swoobat like that, so it really caught me off guard. The darn bat is more versatile than I thought.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nauris

Nauris The King of Konchus

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    While I haven't seen unique build from my opponents, except those arguably bad movesets that are similar to 4 Fire Attack Charizards, I think that few of my Pokémon that I have used count as unique, like Counter Scizor. While this undoubtly created this set, I can't say that it was my own idea, since this idea was developed by me and 2 other guys whose names I have already forgotten.
    Scizor @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Roost
    - Counter

You want as much attack as possible to have some damage with Bullet Punch and U-turn, with 216 Speed with Adamant allows you to outspeed 44 Speed Rotom-Wash, Jolly 252 Speed Azumarill, and 252 Neutral Magnezone, along with -1 Speed Victini. If you only care about Outspeeding the current regular Rotom-Wash, you can also use use 180 Speed EVs. Rest are put into HP to allow Counter to deal as much damage as possible. 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe with Jolly is also an option to 44 Rotom-Wash, while allowing you to invest more in the HP with the expense of lower Attack.

4. Weedle Enthusiast

Weedle Enthusiast Resident Weedle Enthusiast

Best Boi
    (Charjabug)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽57.8
    Crown of ValorDome Fossil ★★★
    I use a pretty unique one:
    Shedinja @ Focus Sash
    252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP (All other stats besides Atk and Spe are useless, so Wynaut HP?)
    -Toxic
    -Dig
    -Protect
    -Phantom Force

That's right, I run a stall Shedinja. I have messed with so many Sucker Punch users. This is what I lead with of course, as Stealth Rocks ruin Shedinja's day. It isn't always that great, but when it works, I've gotten toxic on just about every Pokémon, and severely damaged a few. The best it has done was killing a Rhyperior, half killing a Jolteon, and poisoning every other Pokémon except one on the team.

5. Nauris

Nauris The King of Konchus

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I'm aware that this is not the intended purpose of the thread.

If you want to be optimal with your set, you should try
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Lonely Nature
    IVs: 12 Def

This lets you avoid your opponents Porygon2 or -Z getting a Special attack boost from Download. Genesect should only be considered if you are playing in a format where it is allowed, and then its just which boost you want to give it, since depending on the set, it can use both.

6. Doomhound

Doomhound
    (Houndour)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽77.7
    My most creative idea, most unexpected, and most deadly thing I can claim to have created to this day... THE FEAR-INSPIRING MARACTUS! He draws his power with roots somewhat in the Se Jun pachirisu, although i would consider him much more potent. In the days of VGC 2015, rain teams were rampant, as were landorus... landorus... more landorus... mega kangaskhan is everywhere, rotom wash, thundurus, amoonguss, breloom. Maractus has tools for all of these.

Cactus (Maractus) @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Storm Drain
    Level: 50
    EVs: 212 HP / 84 SpA / 212 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Helping Hand
    - Safeguard
    - Giga Drain
    - Spiky Shield

Maractus is a team player, and amazing support. I typically lead camerupt and cofagrigus. Cofagrigus gets the trick room up, camerupt mega evolves and protects or attacks. Then I switch out the cofagrigus for maractus if there's any water on the field, or if it is just a sensible switch. Storm drain comes in and picks up any and every scald, powering up giga drain if need be. More importantly, camerupt is protected from all water moves. This lets him dish out crap tons of damage with worries only about landorus' earthquakes. But landorus isn't that big a deal, because trick room is up. Drop a helping hand from maractus to heat wave for devastating damage on both, or a heat wave giga drain and landorus is almost surely dead. Safeguard protects from the spores, and being grass also means you can't put him to sleep when he switches in. Safeguard also shuts down thundurus pretty effectively. Spiky shield is great for catching kangashkans, talonflames, or even the sporadic u-turn from landorus. The number of times brave bird hits into the spiky shield and is followed up by camerupt's ancientpower... its great. And helping hand in the trick room with any team member lets you kill basically any threat on the field. Also, the special defense of maractus. Invest in it a lot so he can take ice beams from any water team, or the HP ice from a thundurus with ease. With maractus living longer, camerupt lives longer, and dishes out more and more damage. You can't point to maractus for great kills, but he makes it so easy for other team members. You might see a storm drain gastrodon, but his support isn't nearly as useful (and gets OHKO'd by a giga drain). He's definitely the MVP of the team, and a completely original member. My college's Pokémon club hates and fears maractus because of all the trolls he's pulled off in FFAs.

Note... VGC 2016. Origin pulse hits both targets. Storm drain now useless. Primal Groudon... too strong. Maractus lost his viability amid the flood of OP legendaries. Incredibly sad for me... but what can I do. He's still my favorite Pokémon to use competitively

7. Noctis

Noctis *this message has been removed*

PokéPoints:
    ₽65.0
    You know, that's very strange too considering how easy it can be to take out a Swoobat as well. Very clever to use Follow Me on the Tyranitar though; I've never seen or heard of such a unique way to get the battle popping off.

8. Pitmore

Pitmore Mild Internal Pain

PokéPoints:
    ₽84.0
    In metas like CAP with Pokémon who can abuse Trick Room better, mega Camerupt is really nice in it and is an extremely hard wallbreaker! I've also made mega steelix work in CAP before because of is great ground typing.

In all honesty, all megas are good to an extent (yes, even audino), so I find them fun to work with.

9. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    I'm assuming you mean After You, since Follow Me doesn't work that way (and swoobat doesn't learn Follow Me). And if this is the case, Cinccino seems like the better choice in every way, barring access to Tailwind. Speaking of, it seems like Tailwind on any other Pokémon would be a better option so that you don't have to constantly spam the move and can support the team in other ways such as Helping Hand support. This strategy is being used in VGC16 with things like Chlorophyll Lilligant and Trick Room Ammonguss. It's cool to see Swoobat being used competitively, but for more reliability something like Talonflame with Tailwind would probably get the job done without being locked in to a move, having a better match up against common meta threats like Amoonguss and of course spamming priority brave birds :P (Oh, as well as potential quick guard support).

Something pretty cool I've been seeing in VGC16 is Snore Mega Mence to essentially counter Smeargle. People found that Draco Meteor on Mence was often a wasted moveslot, only really hitting opposing mence and Mega Ray, while also getting a chunk on P don. Some teams deal with these mons fairly well already, so they opted for Snore to improve their Smeargle matchups, to not insta lose if they get a speed/accuracy raise with Moody. I think that's pretty damn cool.

shinygiratinaz likes this.
  10. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I once encountered an Azumarill with Whirlpool/Toxic (Didn't see any other moves). Didn't see that coming at all. It actually did work though!

11. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    Oh that's a pretty cool set. I'm pretty sure they run Perish Song and Rest, and generally Knock Off/Scald over Toxic with Sap sipper. It's weird being able to counter Ferrothorn with an Azumarill :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.