1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Triple Battles and Rotation Battles

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Starry Windy, May 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Starry Windy

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.1
    In Black and White, we are introduced to two new battle formats thanks to Charles in Driftveil City. In Pokémon Black, he will give you a taste of Rotation Battles, meanwhile in White, you get Triple Battles instead.

In Triple Battles, each trainer sends out their 3 Pokémon at once, and the placement of the Pokémon can affect how the battle will turn out because most of the moves have limited range.

In Rotation Battles, though, each trainer sends out 3 Pokémon at once, but only Pokémon in front (or middle) are battling with you. However, you can rotate your team on the fly as you battle (and they will use attacks afterwards), because doing so might be crucial if you want to win.

What's your opinion on these two battle formats?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I'm not a big fan of rotation battles, but I still think that they can be a blast at times. Tripples on the other hand... Oh Arceus I love those for one reason... BLISSEY BASE BATTLES! This one battle style makes it SO much easier to level up my Pokémon in spades and control what EVs I have to erase. Other than that they are fun just to see what can happen. Like a metonome battle with mew. the predicatability just makes them more likable to me I guess.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Vaporstar4x4

Stephy
    (Jirachi Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,075.0
    I'm not a big fan of either really. I think triple battles are too crowded and the rotation battles are very confusing and not all of the Pokémon on the field can be hit.

4. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I like them, but I'd love to see their role in the game become bigger. During my playthrough, I only encountered these two battle formats a handful of times, which made me sad because I had expected to see so much more of those battles. My favourite of the two are Triple Battles, because I find Rotation Battles kind of annoying to do with the turn stuff (I always forget to turn, lol).

5. MegaBlastoise15

PokéPoints:
    ₽22.6
    In my opinion, Triple Battles are enjoyable, yet criminally underutilized. I wish Game Freak brought it back for Gen 7. Rotation Battles, on the other hand, bring nothing new to the table and are only there to waste your time. I can somewhat see why one would enjoy it, but I don't see the point.

6. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I don't care much for rotation battles but I live triple battles. Sadly both formats are barely used in the games while you play through them. Hopefully in he future we'll see either or both used more in regular playthrough. Even if I personally don't really care much for rotation battles at all I find them quite boring.

7. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    I thought Triples were really neat when they first came out, and would actually do them a lot in Black/White. While I don't nearly do as many anymore, I enjoy an occasional Triple Battle here or there.

Rotation Battles... meh. I didn't really like them. I could see there being some kind of competitive meta for them, but I can imagine games ending quickly, since it's pretty much switching AND attacking in the same turn.

8. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    I enjoy triple battles, mostly because they're like double battles, but better. I wish there were more in the games, as it would make in-game battles more fun and interesting.
    Rotation battles I'm less than enthusiastic about, but I wouldn't object to more of those being included either.

9. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    Triple battles are whatever for me because they're so hectic it's so hard to pay attention to everything that's going on. Rotation battle, on the other hand, are a lot of fun. There's a whole new level of mind games that comes with them and I love it.

10. UltraHaxorus

PokéPoints:
    ₽36.8
    I think that triple battles are okay but i don't really enjoy them that much, same with doubles. Rotation battles on the other hand, I really like. Sure there's more than one Pokémon on each side of the field like triples and doubles but rotation battles have a lot of thinking to them and I really enjoy that.

11. Almandine-G

Almandine-G All Men Are Equal

Eggu-Sama
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽25.4
    I absolutely luuuuv these battle types. I remember back when they were first introduced and getting super excited about them. And hoo boy was I not disappointed.

Triple battles are so huge for a start. They add a whole other dimension of play to prior double battles, now requiring a lot more strategising and thought on positioning, such as understanding that a mon at the far left can't hit a mon at the far right (most times) and vice versa. It makes for some tense and chaotic gameplay which I dig a lot.

Rotation battles are a whole other ball game, requiring an entirely different strategy. The entire style is like one big mind game that adds a layer of unpredictability to the mix, forcing players to amp up their strategising. I'm into messing with my opponents, so the style plays very much to how I run haha

12. Pitmore

Pitmore Mild Internal Pain

PokéPoints:
    ₽84.0
    I'm still waititng on Rotation Battles to be on Pokémon Showdown tbh

I loved them, they made you think of team synergy, opponent prediction and you had to take in 12 moves, up to 9 possible abilities and a whole host of things to do at one time, then you had the Pokémon in the back! Its so diverse and complex that it really makes you think and can be really nice for a player starting out, as they immediately have skills to assess the whole battlefield and the Pokémon quickly and efficiently.

Triples was waay too much of a clusterfuck for me, there were Pokémon everywhere and I honestly have enough troubles with doubles so I tried Doubles once and realized that it wasn't for me, so I can't give much of an input on it.

13. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    Honestly I am not a big fan of this, I never was. Double Battles were always something I couldn't handle too well so I stick with Single Battles most of the time. Colosseum and Gale of Darkness made it so Double Battles were interesting and I like those games because of it, heck Battle Revolution made Doubles amazing. Triple and Rotation Battles are one thing I never liked and probably never will.

14. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it. I think Rotation Battles are really cool in their mechanics, and they bring a lot of new strategies to the table. On the other hand, I can see why the chaotic nature of them would turn someone away, and I can also see why you say they don't bring much to the table, as the mechanics of the format tend to just accentuate certain aspects of battle that are already present (i.e. team preview).

Triple Battles are definitely fun, too, but my main love is in double battles for VGC reasons. Triple Battles are very cool, but doubles is the OG. What're your thoughts, @[member="Reborn"]?

15. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I really loved Triple Battles! They were a lot of fun to do with friends and allowed my team to work harder using a lot of moves that hit multiple opponents. I was not a fan of rotation battles though as they were hard to move and a bit clunky. I am very sad they wont be returning in the next game but I love the memories I had with them.

16. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I actually like Rotation Battles a lot. It probably has to do with out predicting your opponent and strategy being the key in those battles. Not to mention it is an effective way of leveling your under-leveled Pokémon a bit. I like Triple Battles less, because they are so hectic and it takes forever to decide what to do.

17. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    Never been a big fan of triple battles, they're not very interesting. Rotation battles however were great. I love being able to try matching up your Pokémon with the opponent but then your opponent can do the same. It definitely adds a little extra layer of strategy that I love :D