1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Favorite Time Periods to Watch

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LostSpirit, May 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    There are so many genres of movies and shows with different time periods as their settings. Movies set in past such as the medival times, movies set in the present, and movies set in the future.
    What are some of your favorite time periods to watch? Do you like watching things set more in the past, present, or future?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. BiohazardSr

BiohazardSr My name is Sid. Sid the Bard

PokéPoints:
    ₽71.6
    I think my favorite periods are the not so distant future, and medieval times.

The not so distant future is airways cool because the technology is very similar to ours, but there's also a lot of cool future tech. Good examples of this would be like Real Steel.

Medieval fantasy movies always have there charm. I love d&d so it's always cool to think see people fighting things like dragons and such. Super hype for the warcraft movie

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. UltraHaxorus

PokéPoints:
    ₽36.8
    I think my favorite time period to watch is any from the medieval times and back. There's just something about people fighting other people with swords that gets me.

4. Pokémist

Pokémist Trashcan

smol heart
    (Luvdisc)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,860.3
    Tapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Medieval time and future. They are fun to watch and are sometimes unique(some specific movies)

5. Teddybear2345

Teddybear2345 Which is cooler, to be cool, or uncool?

PokéPoints:
    ₽529.7
    Rage Candy Bar ★★★Bicycle ★★Razz Berry ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Slowpoke Tail ★★★★
    Medieval and Future for me.

Future because, it seems much less ordinary than what the future really is.
    Which is hollow and empty.

Medieval for its power struggles and tribes/wars.

6. EchoSouls

EchoSouls Contributor

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.2
    Future and current time. I've never really watched any movies in an old setting. I love future settings though. About 100 years into the future is probably my favourite setting as of late.

7. Sanctuary

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽94.1
    I tend to avoid anything before the 1970s, especially medieval times. The concept of older times just doesn't catch my interest. That being said, I have watched a fair amount of medieval movies that were actually pretty enjoyable.

The time periods I tend to go for are present, near future, and far future. Present ranging from 2000-2020, near future being a little bit past that, and far future being hundreds of years later. Future ideas are usually much more intriguing than what happened in the past and are executed better overall, imo. However, I do know that there have been some pretty bad movies about the future, but I still like the overall concepts better than from older times.
    As for present and near future, it's just nice to see a movie and think that it's possible for that to happen in our current world and age, even if the ideas are pretty far fetched.

8. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    It's usually not a big concern of mine going into the few things I watch (and it really is few), but after taking some time to reflect on the trends of things I like it tends towards things taking place in the 80s and 90s, and distant future like Star Trek. I think more of what I don't like than what I do like since what I do like is mostly a case of just "this doesn't bother me". Things set in ancient times end up annoying me the most because of some tropes they always use that I think are dumb (for example everybody has to have a British accent even if it has nothing to do with that region) and all of the ridiculous mistakes made with regards to dress, weapons and armor and the like, some examples being back scabbards everywhere, overuse of black leather on everybody, people yelling the word "fire" for archers when nobody would use that term then since firearms were not yet a thing, everyone being needlessly dirty (damp cloths have existed for a damn long time and everyone wasn't always going around looking grubby), people seeming to ignore the fact they have a shield with the way they fight (it should not be thrust behind you as you swing a weapon in the other hand, it does you no good that way!), it goes on and on. More forgiving on some things if it's explicitly and clearly a fantasy setting, but when it's a real world setting and it's supposed to be depicting the past these things annoy the hell out of me because for a lot of these things we actually know better, and it leads to misinformation for the sake of looking cool in what is intended to be "historical". If your set in the olden days series is going to claim to be historical, don't do these things! But they do anyway.

Nah, I mostly like modern but pre-smartphone/social media era settings (I don't like seeing these shoved in my face in fictional scenarios, there's enough in real life not to mention that these also tend to pander towards the hard leftist trends and agendas of today which I'm not the biggest fan of) and indeed things that were not just set but also created during this time, and distant future where it's far enough away that weird things can be plausible because damned if we're going to be around to see if it actually gets like that.

9. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    I loooove watching older time periods, preferably about the era of the tudors, a little earlier and later than that is cool though. For example, The White Queen is a great series :D but I'm not too fussy on location, it could be anything of a similar vein. I totally didn't expect it but I also looooved the Victoria series and I am hanging out like crazy for them to do another season. It's the first time I've really gotten in a slightly more modern time period, I usually find the stuff like Pride and Prejudice to be a bit boring with all the overdone language and aimlessly hanging about arguing elaborately in random drawing rooms of the gentry. Better to see something involving the court of a country because you get a better sense of the history and bigger context of things going on in the bigger picture. But I did like Mr. Selfridge too, you could see quite a bit through that as well.

10. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I like future or modern sets, I like to see what people think will come. What will happen, what they think it may come to be. I enjoy apocalypse themes so seeing how they also portray what happens now or in the future is so cool. Since the past has happened I want to see what happens in the future.

11. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I love watching movies set in the early-to-mid 20th century, especially the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I love the aesthetics from those periods sooo much :)
    I'm not a huge fan of movies set in the future unless they have a slight (or big) retrofuturistic vibe to them. If it's setting is anything like the future we invision now (with all those ugly cars and buildings with no character, bleh) I lose interest straight away.

12. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    I'm not too picky about the time periods that I watch, though I do avoid medieval-era movies for the most part, for the (very good) reasons mentioned above. I mostly watch them if they're supposed to be jokes, and therefore I know that the moviemakers don't honestly think the medieval era looked like that. Otherwise, I don't judge movies as much on setting as I do on plot.

13. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I like watching futuristic stuff usually, though movies with older epic battle sequences are always fun (Like Gladiator and whatnot)

14. Smarty_Pants001

Eevee
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽780.4
    Futuristic stuff, especially stuff in the far future. I enjoy seeing the technology people come up with and figuring out if said tech could one day exist irl.

15. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I don't usually care what time period my shows take place in. I think my favorites are the stories that are basically timeless, they can take place in any time period, and yet no time period at all. I have been watching a time travel show lately though, and I've found that I definitely prefer the episodes where they go back in time to the ones where they travel into the future, so I think I prefer stories that take place some time in the past.