1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How Good Do You Consider Yourself At Competitive Pokémon?

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Nate, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    Pretty straightforward, how good do you think you are? Do you feel that you underestimate or overestimate your skill at times? Why do you think the way you do?

For me, I used to think I was really good at Pokémon, back in my prime. However, it has been forever since I have played Competitive Pokémon seriously, and as such I think I've lost my touch. Maybe I'm underestimating myself a little because I bet it would all come back to me pretty quick if I dedicated a lot of time towards it. When Gen 7 comes out I'll for sure get back into battling and we'll see if it does or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Although I do battle competitively often, I'm not as good as I want to be. Sure, I've got all the basics down, and I can make a team that kicks ass, but there will always be many people better than me, so I don't practice often enough to be good.

I'm more into the collection and side-game aspect of Pokémon, but if anyone challenges me to a competitive match, I won't turn them down. Gotta show everyone what I've got, eh?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wiso Altred likes this.
  3. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,861.4
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I struggle with competitive battling, I've gotten a little better over the years, but in the end I don't have the strats, and I don't feel much like investing the time to learn how to predict.
    My favorite part of Pokémon is mostly in the cute little creatures. They don't work well in competitive usually (though beast mode pachirisu with the sitrus berry and follow me. That was legit) Anyway, yeah I'm mediocre. Like Aura, I typically will accept a challenge though.

4. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    I think I'm alright at the game. There are certainly parts of the game that I can improve at, for example I tend to be impulsive and clicking the obvious move instead of considering my options and covering all of my opponent's options. I feel I'm fairly good at defining a win con, but then again my team is often tailored towards a particular Pokémon sweeping. I often find it difficult to read players, especially on the ladder, though I find that much easier once I've seen them play a few games first. I also find playing around potential hax to be difficult, since often plays that I make rely on me not being crit/flinched/statused etc.

As far as teambuilding, I feel I can make fairly well rounded teams but I struggle to see huge weaknesses that a team has, though I guess that just comes with experience.

Wiso Altred likes this.
  5. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    I'd like to think I'm somewhat good at competitive battling. I've always had a large group of buddies to help me continuously improve in a battle, but I still have a few problems that I suffer from. My biggest one is that often enough, I tend to overpredict and overthink a LOT when going for the obvious move would just be better anyways. I keep expecting some kind of amazing play from them, but then they don't and I get upset at myself. As far as teambuilding goes, I wish I was a bit better at that, although my group tells me I'm just fine in that aspect.

6. UltraHaxorus

PokéPoints:
    ₽36.8
    I think I'm okay at competitive. I'm not good but I'm not bad. I think my biggest problem is that I don't think about the endgame enough. I just take things as they go.

7. The Finland Frogadiers

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    On smogon Ladder I'm not as good since I don't do it often enough since I personally feel like it's kinda boring as for now until new generation has arrived. as for league format I consider myself being pretty good.

8. Pitmore

Pitmore Mild Internal Pain

PokéPoints:
    ₽84.0
    I'd like to say I'm good but honestly I'm not :3

I mean, I pride myself in knowing my enemy and making the risky plays when I've forced my opponent into a corner, unfortunately, I still need to improve on anything at all before that haha. Whilst I have the good ability to pressure my opponent from the get go through predicted switches, early KOs and VoltTurn, they can easily control the battle and I'm forced to make risky plays for it to pay off and most of the time it doesn't

So yeah, gimme momentum and I can make life hell for you, take my momentum and oh my help

9. xXAmarillaXx

xXAmarillaXx Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽10.0
    When it comes to competitive Pokémon I'd consider myself being okay ish, I dont take it too seriously but its fun to play and try to make predictions and make teams you think will work and you believe you can win battles with. When it comes to DL format I think I can do pretty alright so far in every league I have been in , I've either been in play offs or just missed out on it. This week I've had my first loss after 4 weeks in a league called the IPL and it was only a 1-0 , but Im still growing in my skills and still learning. In the end its all for fun !

10. Fizzysoda

Fizzysoda Valor Lake Cryptid

(Jirachi Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,390.9
    Soda Pop ★Reaper Cloth ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    I'm not even sure myself tbh. I don't consider myself to be great at competitive battling but I don't think I suck that much either. I used to be on showdown quite often but after I lost my first account, I don't go there as much. I've gotten quite a few wins by doing a lot of risky stuff. Maybe I was just lucky.

Now I'm not into competitive battling anymore, it takes the fun out of everything (to me, at least)

11. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I think i'm average, but i'm way better then when I started. When I first started I sucked hard, and this was on Gen 5 (The hardest game to play competitively in my opinion.) However, I think I have a lot of potential, but I don't really use it because I don't use all OU Pokémon at all. (I think all the teams on the higher ladders use mostly OU Pokémon anyways.) I like using low tier Pokémon mainly because it is fun, but I digress. Some of my teams get around the 1350-1480 mark on the ladder.

12. Weedle Enthusiast

Weedle Enthusiast Resident Weedle Enthusiast

Best Boi
    (Charjabug)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽57.8
    Crown of ValorDome Fossil ★★★
    I think I'm pretty good at battling. I am decent at predictions, and other important stuff like that. But I enjoy using weird sets too much, and once I screw up, my brain fries and I lose terribly. A lot of my battles that I win are either with me winning no issue, or finally getting my act together and making a comeback. But a lot of my battles are also the exact opposite. So at my best, I'm good. At my worst, I do stuff like using a stall Gyarados, or using Hex on a normal type.

13. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    Im Above Average, Better then most players at competitive but still can be beaten, I got to say I was at my best during the XY OU Metas End and AnythingGo's Beginning

14. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Honestly, I am not really good.

I constantly lack of strategy and it seems that my teams are really bad. I can't even calculate the % of damage that I will deal (or even my opponent's damage) or do good predictions.

For example, look at this http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-399134786
    I fought like 5 minutes ago after more than 5 months that I have been out of Showdown.
    We can say that I lack of what a competitive player needs.

[​IMG]

Now being serious, I was a bit decent before. But now I am just another average player that is completly outdated and that has a little chance to comeback at the 7th Gen. Personally, I am really proud of those players that learned with me and that also tought me a lot of things which helped both parts to become better, improve the sportsmanship of the site (including our other members and friends) and also become better persons on the way.

So,thank you guys and thank you @[member="Nate"] for making this post that makes me and the others to feel comfortable and free to talk in.

PD: Sorry for my English, I am still bad at this -.-

15. DIO

DIO KONO DIO DA!

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽239.2
    I think I'm decent. I'm okay at it, but my strategies are pretty linear and I'm easily next-leveled and out-foxed. One of my biggest weaknesses is that I often let Pokémon set up way too much. I'm also really out of practice; I haven't played any format really except Random Battles in a while, and the time I play has declined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.