1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

If the Physical-Special Split was reversed?

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by TripleAAABattery, Jun 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    I'm surprised no one made a topic about this yet, and I saw someone elsewhere make a topic like this.

Back before the 4th generation, whether a move was physical or special depended on the type of the move. For example, Fire Punch was a Special Move, while Shadow Ball was a Physical Move. The change made a great number of Pokémon much better, like Crawdaunt, Gengar, Gyarados, and more.

However, if they decided to get rid of this split, how much do you think the various meta would change? Who's usage would skyrocket, and who's would plummet from this?

Physical Types: Normal, Fighting, Poison, Ground, Flying, Bug, Rock, Ghost, Steel

Special Types: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Ice, Psychic, Dragon, Dark, Fairy (I say it's Special since it seems like a Specially Based type, and Sylveon has this typing)

For example, Weavile would be absolutely horrible, since both of his STAB's become Special, and he only has a Base 45 Special Attack to work with. On the other hand, Knock Off becoming Special would benefit a lot of the Special Attackers who'd get it, like Zoroark, Thundurus, and Serperior. Serperior especially would benefit from this, since Leaf Storm is still special, and Dragon Pulse is special, but now it actually gets a bit of coverage in Aqua Tail and Knock Off.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I think it would be really interesting to play a current-generation Pokémon game with the original Physical/Special split. Although I can't think of any specific examples, I like the idea of Serperior with Knock Off and Aqua Tail as special moves, especially with its access to Contrary and Leaf Storm.

Is there a meta of this? There should be, if there isn't!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TripleAAABattery

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    Apparantly there was indeed a meta for it. Unfortunately, I guess people stopped having TOO much of an interest on it, and nothing has really been updated.

4. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    Azurmarill would drop badly from this.... In fact most water types seen as "competitive" would drop bad, while bad ones would rise (Like Samurott)

5. Weedle Enthusiast

Weedle Enthusiast Resident Weedle Enthusiast

Best Boi
    (Charjabug)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽57.8
    Crown of ValorDome Fossil ★★★
    Most fighting types would drop, as their good coverage would be gone. Weezing would be better though. It's STAB would match with the higher stat. Flareon would go back to crying on the corner. I think just about every Mega except the Steelones and Sableye would rop a lot too. Gardevoir is another exception.

6. TripleAAABattery

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    Leafeon would join in with Flareon, too :(

Oh yeah, a lot of Megas would get significantly worse, huh? In fact, a couple of Uber Megas would probably drop from such a change, too, huh? Mega Lucario (and just Lucario in general) would be restricted to mostly physical attacking sets, and Mega Mawile (and Mawile) would lose Play Rough and Sucker Punch.

7. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I see Regice benefiting from this a lot. It's still a great special sponge, and with the split it would make it a little better.

Accelgor would drop though since it's STAB is now physical, and not only that, but it would make another useful move terrible (Acid Spray). The only real thing it can do is set up spikes or use Final Gambit, at least in my eyes anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.