1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What are your thoughts about Battle Royal?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Maantijger, Jun 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    So at E3 recently a 'brand new' battle mode was revealed, namely Battle Royal. Isn't it weird how there's no 'e' at the end of 'Royal'? Oh well, maybe they wanted to avoid copyright issues, but yeah. As most of you know there was a similar way of battling that fans came up in XY and ORAS though Multi Battles even it was very much limited. GF probably realized this was a cool idea and put in it in the game with a special ruleset too. I'm honestly super excited because the the free-for-all battles in XY were already a neat concept but now with official rules that decide the winner by looking at damage dealt, damage taken and knock outs plus a team of 6 for every player there's room for entire new metagame and an infinite amount of strategies. We better hold a Battle Royal tourney here sometime >_>
    If you don't know about the Battle Royal yet, you can watch the demonstration and explanation at E3 here, at 36:13 :3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Fizzysoda

Fizzysoda Valor Lake Cryptid

(Jirachi Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,390.9
    Soda Pop ★Reaper Cloth ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    Huh... I'm curious as to how the online competitive battlers will handle this new format. We did have double, triple, and rotation battles but they're still a one-on-one battle. The battle royal is like 1 on 3. Hope your opponents don't gang up on you! I'm looking forward to trying this mode, it looks fun :o

I hope we also have triple battle royals, can't wait to pit 12 Wailords against each other in a Wifi battle >:^)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Rayquaza and LunarRabbitPikachu like this.
  3. UltraHaxorus

PokéPoints:
    ₽36.8
    I really like the concept of Battle Royal. The new rules just make the whole thing even more interesting and I think that this format can become really competitive. I'm excited to see what Battle Royal will bring.

4. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    I think it looks really cool! I know Youtubers have been doing Free-For-Alls for quite a while now, so it's nice to have an actual battle mode that's somewhat similar. While I don't battle with other people at all in Pokémon, I do think that this is a great addition to the games, especially with the interesting rules. I could see Battle Royals becoming very popular in the battling scene once the games come out.

5. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    Its My Dream Come True, I Play FFA's ALL THE TIME, Maybe we will have an Online Mode For Random Matchup which would be AWESOME (Competitions Would Be Too)

6. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    I love battling in FFA's, and I watch them on YouTube occasionally so I'm really excited for this format. :D It'll be fin to see all the new strategies that people will come up with, and it's cool that there's an official ruleset and way to determine winners!

I can't wait for S/M. :D

7. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I'm really interested to find out how they're going to insert Battle Royal into the game! I sure hope it will be used in the game itself as well, not just in online multiplayer battles. An 1-vs-3 format is very interesting because you have to keep track of three opponents at the same time. I'm sure it'll spice the competitive battling world up!

8. Doomhound

Doomhound
    (Houndour)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽77.7
    They got SOOOOO close. Everything about it is great except for one major flaw... The battle ends as soon as one person runs out of Pokémon. This really kills the free-for-alls on a casual level. You now have to let somebody hold onto their one Pokémon, no matter how threatening, or annoy everyone and just end the battle early. The best moments of FFA's often come at the end, with just 2 or 3 Pokémon on the field. If you choose to FFA in Battle Royal, you have to watch and be careful of this rule. Even if splash damage moves are a little tough to work around, I can see myself still using double battles for my FFA's. Won't have to deal with this ending clause. Its great if Nintendo doesn't want someone targeting down 1 person, but I think we can handle that on our own.

Rayquaza likes this.
  9. Wiso Altred

Wiso Altred Dragon Tamer

tetsu
    (Ledyba)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽66.8
    I really do like the concept of the battle royal(e), While it is true that the battle will end when one person loses all of his Pokémon, its quite an amusing rule,

As for Setting up:
    You might think to yourself, "oh ill setup and spam earthquake or surf!", but that may not be the case, because there are still many factors going on in the game such as:

1.If people see you using Dragon dance or tailglow, your probably the target for 3 Pokémon.

2.Even if you set up and start attacking, your not guaranteed to win the match, because either someone might take out more Pokémon than you, deal damage to you that takes you down to your sash/low health and ends up winning instead, or someone that simply went all out with a scarfed/banded/spec'd mon and dealt more damage, got more knockouts than you , even if he didnt even touch you, even if you were in perfect shape, you'd still lose.

As for Walls:
    Its a bit of a workaround, but if you see someone you cannot defeat, you could still Go for 2 other people, and hope you arent the target, and that may give you just enough damage/points that you come out a winner.

As for in-game play:
    I do see the battleroyal being a meta in a place such as the (battle frontier?) or the side - end - game Battling place, like generation 4, which included game modes, classics, the battle factory, I can see myself battling a 3v1 match in it with a final (brain?), tho I dont know exactly how it would work out, it still is a possibility.

Or maybe it would be a special thing, such as the inverse battles guy.

10. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I'm pretty interested in them as FFAs are a ton of fun to do with friends, however the points system is a little weird. I still think they will be a lot of fun but maybe not as much fun as the classic FFA rule-set we've been using for the past couple years.

11. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    I think the concept of Free for Alls are really fun! Competitive tournaments are definitely a possibility amongst communities, and I do see it happening in Lake Valor!

What I like about it is that it's a completely new battle mechanic. They could have easily done quadruple battles (though I never could see it happening), but instead, Game Freak went out and explored a new concept, four trainers against four, something I never have seen at all in Pokémon! It's a really nice addition that could re-invent many player's strategies.

I'm sure many people will have fun with this, especially considering that it's a free for all! It adds to the tension that no one is helping you, you're on your own!

12. Rayquaza

Rayquaza School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I really love the Battle Royal so far myself.... finally we're seeing some official FFA action, loving everything about it so far. Except for one thing.. how come the Battle Royal FFA ends when one person's out of Pokémon? I understand not wanting to have the battle take a while, but isn't that what the battle timer is for? The battle timer in place pretty much renders that manner of ending the battle pointless imo. Just me though! I'm still really looking forward to battling in this format despite some of my thoughts, since there's no teams or anything, just some nice free-for-all action.

13. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    They have to have definitive and clear end for a battle otherwise it might drag on super long and then it'd basically be about timer stalling. This way everyone has to attack in order to gain points and also be careful they don't lose their Pokémon too quickly, it's a super interesting balance. You might be dishing out heavy hit after heavy hit but if you run out of Pokémon you're left with nothing, on the other hand if all you're doing is surviving by protecting and healing every turn, you won't receive any points for damage dealt. This way walls won't be OP because they can timer stall all the time and make the gamemode very boring and stale, while, at the same time, you have to be on your guard when attacking. Basically, both attacking and defending can be rewarding which allows for different playstyles and strategies.

Rayquaza likes this.
  14. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    While i'm not that interested in FFA's myself i'm glad they actually decide to make this a mode for people who actually want to play it. Glad they actually decide to make the area look like a boxing ring as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.