1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

5 moves instead of 4?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Starry Windy, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starry Windy

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.1
    Okay, personally, I didn't notice this one when I was watching Treehouse coverage over and over, but a discussion from a certain YouTuber that I watched recently highlighted this notable change:

[​IMG]
    (Mmhm, these numbers are noted by the YouTuber himself.)

Since I was used to having 4 moves in Pokémon, this reveal was surprising for me. What do you think about this? Do you think all Pokémon will eventually learn 5 moves altogether, or do they will be capable of having 4 moves but having the last one reserved for the ultimate move?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DemonicGamerAzazel

PokéPoints:
    ₽18.9
    I kinda hope this isn't true. As someone who values the competetive scene in Pokémon, I can only imagine the broken, hilairiously overpowered monstrocities that could arise from adding a fifth moveslot. For many utility 'mons, Four-Moveslot Syndrome is one of the few things keeping them in check.

Besides, it would ruin the "Alakazam can learn anything but a fifth move?!?" meme.

On the other hand, though, I could see this being a simple yet revolutionary change to the metagame as a whole that could benefit the competitive scene, breathing new life into it.

It seems to be confirmed, so we'll just have to see where this goes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Starry Windy

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.1
    Well, actually, the picture highlighted was from the Treehouse's Pokémon Sun and Moon coverage (at the point where the player switch the Pokémon) albeit it was not noticed for me until I watched the discussion, given that it was just shown in about a few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC-uLg_5RIA
    (Look at 27:58 for proof)

4. thunder2910

thunder2910 Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.6
    I certainly hope not, it would ruin the balance (I like even numbers ;v;) Anyway I've seen speculations that the slot might just be for the held item

5. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    I have mixed thoughts about this. It would be cool if a fifth move slot was added, as it would completely change the way the game works, especially with certain Pokémon. That can also be a bad thing, as some strategies would have to be completely re-worked or even scrapped completely. It depends on the Pokémon, it could either be a very good thing or a very bad thing. Personally, I would like to see it happen, especially if we get some cool new moves in the 7th Generation.

There's also the possibility that the fifth slot is for a new mechanic that hasn't been introduced yet. We'll just have to wait and see.

6. UltraHaxorus

PokéPoints:
    ₽36.8
    It'll be interesting to see the changes to Pokémon if having 5 moves is possible. The competitive scene would change a lot so I'm looking forward to see what happens next.

7. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    Looks more like an aesthetic thing to make the screen feel less empty to me, rather than an extra moveslot. Notice how the bottom space is a lot bigger than the other ones. I doubt it'll be an extra moveslot, but it could be a spot for a special new skill or whatever. Certainly very interesting, even if it's just part of the interface design >_>

8. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    The bottom space is actually the same size as the top slot, if you compare the two. It's very possible it's either an aesthetic choice or something else altogether (an item slot or a new mechanic), but we'll just have to wait until Nintendo officially reveals more information.

Maantijger likes this.
  9. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    Maybe its a space for a HM Move.......

Maantijger likes this.
  10. Heavenly

Heavenly Just Smile!

PokéPoints:
    ₽83.2
    This would be a cool idea if it were true, but the real question is would it be disabled in battle? What if you teach one of your Water-Types Surf for an HM and want to use it in battle, but can't because you've used it for your HM slot and haven't taught it any others? It would be complicating, and if you did get to use that 5th slot, it would lead to a very powerful metagame for water types and attackers that learn Waterfall and Surf in general.

If this would end up being a 5th moveslot, it would change the metagame so much that tiers for basically every Pokémon would have to be reconsidered (except ones that suffer from a horrible moveset and ends up putting them lower in the first place). It would be a huge impact to the game overall, possibly even larger than Mega Evolutions, and would lead to a lot of focus around Pokémon that could abuse this 5th slot (Alakazam, Lucario, Gengar, and Greninja all come to mind). It would possibly lead to more challenges in the overall game too, because the unpredictability of what could be in the 5th slot on a champion movepool for example is very difficult to get past.

Most likely, it will be for the item judging by the location and the fact that nowhere else on the screen are you able to make out a possible spot (that would give it enough room) on the screen. With it being the screen for switching between Pokémon, its the best conclusion I can come up for that.

11. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I hope this really isn't the case. I think Pokémon would change quite a bit if we were allowed 5 moves on a Pokémon rather than 4. That would change up a lot of things...

12. Vaporstar4x4

Stephy
    (Jirachi Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,087.7
    I belive this 5th row might just be the place where it shows a Pokémon's held item and personality. Pokémon have always had 4 moves and its how the system is balanced. I would hope that they wouldn't change the mechanic after so many games.

13. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I don't think Pokémon would add a fifth move in this stage of the game series. There's really no reason for them to do so since the previous system worked just fine.

14. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    Adding a 5th slot worries me. I think it actually makes it easier for the player to have it since you won't have to debate as hard on what moveset you want. By adding it, it would make it easier than it needs to be. After all, it ain't broke, so don't fix it.

15. Fizzysoda

Fizzysoda Valor Lake Cryptid

(Jirachi Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,390.9
    Soda Pop ★Reaper Cloth ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    A 5th moveslot? Hmm... I don't know, I have a feeling that this would make the game really unbalanced. Perhaps it's a slot for a held item, not a move?

Maybe it's just me, but if we have say, Garchomp or Mega Blaziken with 5 moves they'll be broken as hell. Then again, maybe Gamefreak is trying to experiment and make a new battle mechanic that's different from all the previous games.

16. Starry Windy

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.1
    I guess so, since it's directly stated that the showcase in the Treehouse might not reflect the game in its entirety when it's released months later, so I think Game Freak might possibly testing out if 5 moves will work out or not. Perhaps they will stick to 4 moves, or decided to go with 5 moves if it's going well.

17. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I feel like the fifth moveslot is going to be reserved for HM's, that way they won't be taking up valuable spots while keeping their HM status

18. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    Like a lot of you guys, the number one thing going through my head when I hear this is how the competitive scheme will turn out as a result of this. I mean, 5 moves would be pretty darn broken, let's just be straight up with this. I personally, would never play competitive again (Lol, I probably won't even without it). However, I think it would be pretty useful and fun in-game, when more moves is mostly a good thing for the trainer. The evidence looks pretty solid right now, and I think that the HM theory floating around earlier in the thread may deserve some looking into.

19. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    It would definitely be interesting to see how a 5th moveslot would affect the game. Personally I'm hoping it's just a slot to show the Pokémon's held item, but if it is a 5th slot for a move I won't argue. I doubt it would break the competitive scene entirely, but it would definitely majorly change it.

20. Doomhound

Doomhound
    (Houndour)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽77.7
    I'd certainly appreciate it for doubles, since I could just run protect on every Pokémon and feel less limited. I'd rather just see it as a metagame on showdown though... It'd make every Pokémon broken so things could stay balanced, and it might favor a few Pokémon more than others, but it wouldn't blow up anything too crazily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.