1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Will the names ever improve?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Doomhound, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Doomhound

Doomhound
    (Houndour)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽77.7
    With today's reveal came lots of pain for me. If the names we were given are indeed the names that these Pokémon will have in-game... well I think its just sad. It seems to me Pokémon is losing creativity not in its Pokémon design but in its naming. I'm a pretty harsh critic of names such as talonflame, and this reveal, while showcasing only 7 Pokémon, brought 2 more unsatisfactory names. First...
    "Cutiefly" Is this a Pokémon? A winx club fairy? I can't tell you for sure, but as far as combining two words goes, this is the least discreet I've seen nintendo thus far.
    "Charge a bug" Oh sorry, its "Charjabug" Spelling it with a "J" makes everything OK, it totally doesn't sound like you're charging a bug or anything. Nobody would guess its electric/bug typing. That's really not a big deal, though, because Yo-Kai aren't supposed to be discreet with their names. Wait... this isn't Yo-Kai? This is Pokémon? Oh...

I don't know if these are the official names or just japanese translations. I will say though that Nintendo's naming has seen a bit of a downward trend lately, and its possibly going to get a lot worse. What do you think of Nintendo's naming history?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Manaphymajic1999

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.9
    The English names are going down the toilet, but to be fair, that is the fault of localization. Cutefly literally means... Fumes? Really? Okaaayy then... There may be something in it's dex entry...

I couldn't find a japanese name for Charjabug, but Grubbin, Agojimushi, appears to be derived from Ago, which is Jaw, and jimushi, Grub. This is just speculation here, not official.

I wonder what Puff the Magic Dragon's japanese name is? I'm too lazy to search for it and I've found the two you didn't like. Like I said, blame the localization company.

3. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    I do have to agree with you a little bit, Charjabug seems like the absolute worst Pokémon name I've ever heard, and some of the other names aren't impressing me. However, we still do have to undergo a translation for some of these names, and we've had bad pre-translation names in the past. Some that stand out to me are Drowzee and Hypno being called "Sleep" and "Sleeper" respectively. They also have to face the idea that there are only so many different things they can base Pokémon off of, and the same animal has been used many times for different Pokémon. Every time a new Pokémon is created, that's another potential name combination, plus other similar name combinations that can't be used again. Hopefully that makes sense and I'm not just rambling ^_^. The point is, I think that they are doing a decent job with the material that they're using.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Manaphymajic1999

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.9
    Indeed. And really, the only reason that I remember the names anyway is because of how fast I learn new things. I just tell them apart by form, it's great.

5. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I really hope the names will improve. I get why it must be hard to come up with names sometimes, but "Cutiefly"? Uhh... What?
    I suppose it'll just get me a while to get used to, just like I'll have to get used to "Alola"...

6. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    I am once again left scratching my head as to why the hate for Pokémon names gets bigger and bigger. I LOVE the names! I mean, Cutiefly! It sounds just right for a Pokémon name! If we look at the older Pokémon's names, there isn't much difference in etymology. Let's have a look at um... Butterfree, Furret, Hoothoot, to be honest, I find no difference in any Pokémon name except for Tapu Koko, because as far as I'm concerned, it's the only Pokémon who's name has a space. (Even Charizard and Pikachu, I find no difference between those and the new names)

Back to the conversation, I also happen to LOVE Charjabug's name! I mean, Charjabug! I can keep on saying this wonderful name and not get bored of it. I don't think we should judge the creativity based on names. They are fantastic and they say "Pokémon!" Bruxish as well is an amazing name.

(Charjabug, Charjabug, Charjabug!)

7. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    Probably not, we had names like Arbok and Seel back in 1998 and now in 2016 we have Cutiefly, but we also had Blastoise and now Solgaleo, it's a mixed bag of terrible and awesome names imo and names are a matter of personal preference anyway.

8. Teddybear2345

Teddybear2345 Which is cooler, to be cool, or uncool?

PokéPoints:
    ₽529.7
    Rage Candy Bar ★★★Bicycle ★★Razz Berry ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Slowpoke Tail ★★★★
    I never thought of them as terrible names for the Pokémon.
    Cheesy, but not bad!

I think they are losing creativity with the names these days.
    But remember, Pokémon has been around for 20 years now.
    It's natural to lose the spark, after that long a span.

And I think the fanbase appeal is what they mean to do most.
    Aiming towards the younger demographic.

Pokémon is for everyone yes, but soley with the purpose of kids in mind, originally.

9. Pbear

Pbear Space Polar Bear

PokéPoints:
    ₽43.8
    rockruff is the kind of name where you look at the design and think: its a dog that has rocks... rockruff

litten kinda seems like they're trying to keep up with the times

thank goodness there's no name reference to Trump with yungoose

10. Elfwink

Elfwink School Kid

Cookie
    (Pancham)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽33.1
    Would a rose by another name still smell as sweet?

Personally, I think a lot of Pokémon have silly names - ever since gen 1. Jigglypuff... JIGGLYPUFF?! However, I rate Pokémon more on their physical aesthetics, and how well they perform in battle.

Teddybear2345 likes this.
  11. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I got a feeling it might not get any better after over 700 Pokémon they're running out of ideas for decent names. There's always been bad names in the mix tho for every generation tho it just seem more obvious now.

12. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    Gee, I am loving the names even more. ORICORIO! WISHIWASHI! These two Pokémon now have a personal and special place in my heart. Turtonator! How cool! Honestly, Pokémon do not have bad names, in my opinion. I am looking forward to Pokémon Sun and Moon more than ever now, and I'd just love an Oricorio and a Wishiwashi in my party right away!

13. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    I find it's really hard to pronounce some of the names. I keep getting tongue-tied on Pyukumuku and I still don't know how to pronounce Oricorio. I really like Lurantis's name and design though.

Tbh, yeah I think they could be a little less obvious in the words they mash together for names. Stufful and Bewear stand out to me for this reason, though oddly enough I don't mind Cutiefly. Overall, I reckon the names aren't that great for this Gen, but it was going to happen eventually after so many years of coming up with new names.

14. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I actually like most of the names of this generation. I do agree on Cutiefly, Gamefreak step up your game!

15. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    I also like the names, minus UB02 Absorption, it should have stayed Expansion.

16. MoonLightOwl25

MoonLightOwl25 PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽34.8
    all Pokémon names never bothered me I guess it's because I'm a pretty relaxed person

17. ShiroLugia

ShiroLugia ✂ No Longer Human.

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    I dunno... I don't think so, the names have always been this way and all of them usually have really interesting meanings behind them. I think Cutiefly is adorable, but I'm biased towards cute things. I don't think the names are getting worse, Pokémon will always be Pokémon to me.

18. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    Nope. In fact I expect them to start getting weird and messed up with random apostrophes in them like the character names of bad fantasy fiction. Not saying all the names are terrible now but constant dumb puns and weird things I forecast to NOT IMPROVE.

19. Almandine-G

Almandine-G All Men Are Equal

Eggu-Sama
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽25.4
    For me the names can't get much worse because for me, they've always been stuck in an awkward mix of some really cool names and some names that you could find in the "see also" sections of an article. As such I don't find myself overly disappointed with a lot of the names, and in some cases I find myself thoroughly appeased (I know Mimikyu is literally Mimic+you but it has such a cute sound to it, and Solgaleo just sounds hella awesome). Besides, I'm generally casual about this stuff, and more frequently find myself nicknaming my mons anyway. So hey! There'll always be the bad names, and there'll always be the good, and even then a lot of it is subjective. In my books, bad names are a small price to pay for what is an amazing franchise!

20. Headsprouter

Headsprouter Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽86.8
    Well all I'll say is that Gen 1's Japanese names leave a lot to be desired.

"Let's make it an English word, that's a good substitute for creativity."

But yeah Talonflame is a shit name.

Same. Absorption just doesn't sound as formidable and scary as "EXPANSION"!!! It sounds like it's going to start affecting things around it. Like a problem that's going to get worse and worse the longer it's left. It's like my room!

EDIT: You didn't see anything.