1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Is it really justified?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Achromatic, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Here is something which has gotten me thinking... Is the hate for Black and White really justified? Ever since Black and White 2 has come out, I've seen a lot of people say they are awful compared to Black 2 and White 2, and to be honest, I even agreed with this. I do think they are a lot worse in comparison, but are they really as awful as some people may portray them?

I think Black and White had a good feel to it, some things were certainly missing (As seen in their sequels) but overall it was a nice game and not too bad. I felt they lacked with certain things like the VS seeker, but they were overall a huge improvement on the older games, and it was a lot of fun to play. Without them, we wouldn't have the same Black 2 and White 2 we have now.

I don't need to go in to all of the good points about Black 2 and White 2, I'm sure you already know them, such as the Join Avenue and others. But what do you think? Do you think the hate for the first games is really justified? Or do you think that it's wrong to say they are terrible? Share your thoughts here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    I think it just goes to show the sequels were successful. The only people I saw actually hating on Black and White were the people who have a bias against Generation 5 as a whole, saying the designs of Pokémon suck and citing things like Vanillite and Trubbish (while forgetting that like design choices have been around forever. Muk. Exeggcute) and things like that. But what you described was just people comparing the two, and overall the sequels are better, and the disdain the first ones get in comparison shows it. Stand alone Black and White are fine additions to the series but in comparison they don't measure up, and that's justified.

3. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    All hate is justified as every opinion is just as valid as another. You may not agree with their opinions, but that doesn't make said opinions any less justified. I personally didn't like Black and White much and I still prefer the old games with the exception of a select few new mechanisms. Black and White 2 was certainly a huge improvement and they're great games, but I just personally prefer the fourth generation games - especially HGSS.

4. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    But is it really justified to say the games were terrible if you don't actually agree and just want to say what others think? Sometimes I feel like most people don't even agree with that, they just jump on the bandwagon to seem cool and popular to that others will like them, it's common with post things.

5. Trainer_Ebony

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Do I agree? No. Is it a valid opinion? Ofcorse. Its like compairing Generations. There are always people who prefer one over the other, and some will state their opinion by hating on the other :P So its not so much saying BW is bad, as BW2 is better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Yes, all hate is justified because it's an opinion. All opinions are justified. If they want to misstate their opinion, that's totally their choice, and it's just as justified as any other choice. There is no lack of justification for opinions. Everyone has their own.

7. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    I don't think it's fair to assume people just parrot what others say without thinking for themselves. How exactly can you tell the difference between someone saying they don't like something because they actually don't, and saying they don't like it just because other people do? Accusing people of pretending to think one way because others do is bordering on projecting your thoughts of something onto others and calling them in denial.

8. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I think Black and White are great games even when Black 2 and White 2 obviously are better. The games are still fun and they started gen. 5 which is easily one of my favorite generations.

9. Snivinerior

Snivinerior Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.1
    Whaa? There are people who hate Black and White? I personally never played it's sequel but for me, it's a major improvement in the Pokémon series. And about the hate, people hate things that others like, and while others like it, you hate it, vice versa... And there's been a "I hate Generation V because the Pokémon suxs" line of thinking, others agree with this while others don't. But you can't blame them really, nintendo's running out of ideas. But you can't also blame nintendo, they're pretty much keeping this franchise alive for more than a decade.

10. Cobalt

Cobalt I'M A HURRICANE

PokéPoints:
    ₽64.6
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

11. Shadow Blaze

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    As others have said all opinions are justified, but that doesn't mean that all opinions have valid arguments to back them up. I'd say that Gen Five haters are the perfect example of this. If you ask someone why they hate Gen Five the most common answer seems to be that the Pokémon "suck" or are "unoriginal". Just saying that a Pokémon "sucks" is too vague to be considered much of an argument, and the Gen Five Pokémon are far from unoriginal, despite the mass of different opinions out there. Scrafty is a Hoodlum. That's unoriginal? Garbodor isn't supposed to be cute, and frankly, he's much more creative than Muk the blob.

I can understand if people have personal reasons for not liking Gen Five, and if they can give a reasonable explanation for not liking it, but it's horribly annoying to read posts of people just saying, "The Gen Five Pokémon just suck!" That's vague, and really... They don't.

12. Fooze

Fooze Rival

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    Everyone's opinion is of course justified since that's what they think of the generation and other people shouldn't dismiss it just because they don't agree. Black and White weren't the best Pokémon games I've played but they still managed to keep the franchise running. Also, there are cool Pokémon in B/W, some not so much. B/W did also change the metagame since there are a lot of notable Pokémon in the OU and UU tiers from Gen. 5. So basically, I think that B/W wasn't a failure but just something that could have been improved on.

13. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Okay, everyone can stop saying the same thing now, this thread was a pretty stupid idea back then, but people don't need to keep bumping it up with the whole "opinion is justified" speech. I'll lock this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.