1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How will Mimikyu's Ability work?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Maantijger, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    This is a thing I've been wondering about for a while now, what's the deal with Disguise? On the official website it says: "Mimikyu has the Disguise Ability, a new Ability that no Pokémon has ever before possessed. The Disguise Ability allows it to escape damage from an enemy's attack just one time, and then its appearance changes.", okay, that much was clear from the trailer video too but in doesn't go into detail at all. We can conclude the Disguise Ability doesn't exactly work like Substitute, as it's stated it can only escape damage one time while Substitutes can take more than one hit. What bothers me though, does Disguise protect Mimikyu against status moves as well and does the Disguise get restored if Mimikyu switches out? No mention of that on the official website so we're still in the dark for now (get it?).
    What do you think?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    "allows it to escape damage from an enemy's attack just one time"

I think this means that it doesn't lose any hp the first time you use an attacking move on it. So basically you can use something like thunder wave and still paralyze it since it doesn't deal damage. I'm not sure how secondary effects of offensive attacks would work, but I'd assume they also would be blocked? For example if a Pokémon used Fake out on Mimikyu we know it wouldn't take any damage on the first turn, but would Mimikyu flinch or just avoid both the damage and secondary effect of the attack as a whole?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Ryan likes this.
  3. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    It is pretty much a last hit substitute as an ability, I dont think any moves made against it in the first round will do any damage to it or effects. My guess is that even if you return it and throw it out again the disguise will be still broken since that ability would be super broken competitively if not, you could just return it and throw it out for a free attack of your choice.

4. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    I wonder about that, Mimikyu doesn't look all that powerful. Even if it has an OP Ability it won't be too strong if its stats are weak. Look at the Simple Ability: it's one of the best Abilities in the game but the Pokémon that have it (Bibarel, Swoobat) have lackluster stats and are still considered bad Pokémon competitively. The Abilities for most non Mega or Legendary Pokémon don't get them banned to Ubers, with the exception of Aegislash and Blaziken so I think even if Mimikyu's Ability is really that good, it probably won't be broken.

5. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    It could also have an evolution that may help it up especially if this ability transfers over. Though it is totally possible it is not going to be a very good Pokémon and they gave it an ability to try and not let it just be left in a box for ages. I have hopes for it since the back story is very cool.

Maantijger likes this.
  6. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    I can only assume from the wording of it that it prevents damage from the first attack that lands on it. This would mean that it could still be statused before its disguise is broken. I'm not sure however when it comes to multi-hit moves. Would a sucker punch (assuming mimikyu attacks that turn) damage it on the second hit? Would a skill link heracross's pin missile hit it 4 times? Or does it negate damage for that turn. If it works like substitute then yeah that's how it would work, but it's quite vague in how it's worded, since the 'just one time' bit would suggest this to be the case, while the fact that it says 'escape damage from a move' suggests all damage from that move is negated.

So really we'll only really know when more information is released. As for the 'substitute' being replenished every time it is brought in, I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to suggest and it really just depends whether or not it can take advantage of the essentially free switch in it can get or free turn of set up.

7. Doomhound

Doomhound
    (Houndour)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽77.7
    Regardless of stats, this Pokémon could make for an effective stall if its ability resets upon switching out, which I don't think will happen. If its physical appearance seems to change when its hit, then its probably like a zoroark and just a one time use. Otherwise you just need toxic spikes, a tank, and lots of switches and protects to stall out. Certainly wouldn't be infallible but it would be sooooo annoying to deal with.

8. EmeraldHeart

EmeraldHeart Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽11.5
    I think it'll act like a one hit sub, which is a scary thought indeed i hope it doesn't get focus punch

9. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    I have a really evil hope that it's disguise resets every time it leaves the battlefield. If they give it subpar stats, then the chance of that being a thing would increase.

Then again, I really just wanted something interesting on my Mono-Ghost team lol

10. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    Personally, I think Mimic will work as a one-time shield. Any attack can break it, but Mimic will prevent any effects of attacks before breaking- status effects, damage, secondary effects, etc. I don't think it will refresh upon switching out, either, since that seems a bit broken. But hey, you never know. It would be pretty cool if it did, it could lead to some interesting strategies.

11. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    It will pretty much be a free sub unless a Pokémon has Mold Breaker or an ability similar to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.