1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

VGC Roulette

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Reborn, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    Hey everybody. I just wanted to post about a cool format that I've seen some poketubers playing recently. It's called VGC roulette and it was thought of by Wolfe Glick (this year's world champion). The idea behind it is that 2 teams of 6 are randomly generated and the two players make the sets for each member of their team with the knowledge of what is on their opponent's team. The players can decide to evolve or devolve any member on their team and can choose what form they want their Pokémon to be (so if you get Landorus-I, you can make it a Landorus-T and vice-versa). The players then have a best of 3 battle with standard VGC rules (bring 6 pick 4, doubles).

I think it's really cool and in a lot of situations forces the use of creative sets. The fact that it's doubles changes things up quite drastically since it makes many moves viable, such as redirection moves (rage powder, follow me), spread moves, speed control (tailwind, icy wind and trick room), Fake Out, Feint etc. Because of this I think otherwise fairly underwhelming Pokémon can have a pretty cool niche.

Let me know what you guys think of the format. You can see people play the format by just searching it on youtube. If anybody fancies playing me at this format I'd love to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I have been watching the roulettes for a while, love the concept of what it brings to the table. I watch Hoodlum-Scrafty for his videos on the roulette format and I highly suggest checking them out since there are some cool cards that allow team edits, messing with other people's teams ect. It is a very interesting way to give all Pokémon a fair chance, I would love to do a roulette match my self just to see what happens.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    Oh roulette free-for-alls are pretty different, mostly in the fact that its its 1v1v1v1 as opposed to just 1v1. But yeah those look super fun as well :) My only issue with them as that you can't have them on Showdown, and genning your team would be a bitch.

Cadbberry likes this.
  4. Toxic

Toxic Idk I'm bored

Lugia Egg
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽176.8
    I'm sure Showdown will have them implemented into their site eventually I mean considering Battle Royale is coming to Sun and Moon which is basically free for all.

5. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    Ooh! You're right! I totally forgot about that. Man you've got me all hyped up now haha :D Still organising roulette matches would be difficult since twice as many players are involved and the team edit cards complicate things, but at least now it would be possible without genning :)

6. Toxic

Toxic Idk I'm bored

Lugia Egg
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽176.8
    I'm not even really sure if this was the appropriate place to post this since it was sort of a spoiler. Oops..

7. Weedle Enthusiast

Weedle Enthusiast Resident Weedle Enthusiast

Best Boi
    (Charjabug)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽57.8
    Crown of ValorDome Fossil ★★★
    This sounds like a really cool format. I would definitely love to do this. It'd be fairly simple to do on Showdown too. You just forfeit after your fourth Pokémon dies, and forfeit if you use more than 4. I'm definitely interested in doing this if anyone wants to do it with me.

8. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    Or you know, you use the VGC format programmed in to showdown...
    Otherwise it would be pretty dumb since you could essentially pick the two you use in the back after you see your opponent's two leads. But yeah I'd be down to battle you in this format. Remember it's best of 3 so it gets fialry interesting once you know what sets your opponent is running.

I'll probably be pretty busy after tomorrow, but if you want to have a set today or tomorrow that would be cool :) Pm me if you're interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.