1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Underappreciated Monsters

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by ShiroLugia, Sep 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ShiroLugia

ShiroLugia ✂ No Longer Human.

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    Ever seen a Pokémon that doesn't get much credit for what it's worth? Be it competitively, design wise, uniqueness, etc? I know I have! Let's talk about Pokémon that need more love here.

The first one that came to my mind is Cryoganal. It's design is really cool, especially that dangling rope of what appears to be marbles? of ice. The Pokémon is super rare and only available in the winter of Unova too. Seriously, I know it probably isn't best competitively (dunno much about that) but isn't it really cool? Why does nobody notice it? I wanna draw one now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    Cryoganal is a good one to bring up, I mean it can tank with an A-Vest but why people see it as bad is its Defense thou and Ice-type not being tanky (No resistances). But I feel if you were to pair it up with a Ferrothorn it could be pretty good maybe...

Emolga is pretty dang good, its cute and its like the Poor-mans Thundurus (And can do a bit more with Encore and Nuzzle) :p

yet both are NU.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    I think the fact that Cryogonal is unviable in higher smogon tiers coupled with its rather dull mono-ice type which is poor defensively and makes it weak to hazards which is undesirable in a hazard remover are what make it less popular for the competitive crowd. And for the average player, people generally have a thing against Pokémon that greatly resemble something in the real world, like Vanilluxe and Klefki, and Cryogonal fits that description.

I personally really like Leafeon. I guess mono-grass typing is a bit meh but I really like its design and unlike the under eeveelutions in the PU tier, it can be a serious monster on the right team. I think its pretty cute and I like that they used green more to highlight some of its features rather than as a base colour like most grass types.

4. ShiroLugia

ShiroLugia ✂ No Longer Human.

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    Yeah Leafeon is super cute!! And honestly, I don't get that hate. I love Klefki, it's one of my favorite mons. Just because a Pokémon isn't the best competitively doesn't mean it should be neglected...
    I'm super fond of the Unova mons, but they're the most underappreciated I think...

Even Kanto has some really nice poison types, Muk is different! Yet people don't think it's unique at all..

5. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    That's probably due to the huge amount of generic slime enemies in games especially old RPGs. The top thing I see said about Muk is "it's just a blob monster, lazy design". I can see where they come from with that though as blob monsters go Muk ain't too bad.

6. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,871.5
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I really love the design and concept of Vanillite, though it may not top my list, it's probably the least popular one on it. I also adore Pachirisu, though I dislike the fact that they don't evolve. (I was astounded to hear that a VGC Pachirisu helped win the tournament) Both are cute designs, and Vanillite especially is fairly easy to draw.

Kimochiru likes this.
  7. EchoSouls

EchoSouls Contributor

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.2
    Ho-Oh. Oh my god Ho-Oh.

This poor bird is smacked into the dust by the ever-loved Lugia, and it hurts my soul seeing my favourite box legend so overshadowed ;w;

8. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    Ho Oh for sure, it's really powerful and has good defenses. Catching it in ORAS was hell.

9. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    Ol' Beartic. I'm not a competitive battler really but I watch it sometimes and have seen it really wreck some things under the right conditions. Don't hear it get talked about much in general though. I like it. Cubchoo is pretty stupid however.

10. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I say Trubbish. It's super adorable and cute but because it's made of garbage that makes it ugly and trash. To prove my point of how cute it is, have a Pokémon card or 3.
    [​IMG]

11. brsajo

brsajo Idioddish

Sproot
    (Oddish)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,218.2
    I love oddish. I don't see nearly enough love for the cute lil weed T_T
    And I did a OR nuzlocke where I caught an oddish, I expected him to be just like a mascot and not really use him for battling, but he turned out to be a giga drain powerhouse and the true MVP of the run (especially once he became a vileplume). I reckon grass types in general are very underrated... :sceptile:

[​IMG]
    Justlookitim :3
    [​IMG]
    *squeals*

12. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    Gotta be Meowstic and I guess Espurr now too since the meme died down. espurr.net will forever be my favorite website...

East and DeathxVictory like this.
  13. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    Dunsparce. Dunsparce, just Dunsparce. Love this little uhh... what ever it is. Serene Grace Headbutt with Roost and Glare? Yes pls.

DeathxVictory likes this.
  14. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    I have to mention Furfrou. While it's not amazing it deserves more credit, it has a great ability and gets Cotton Guard, has a relatively diverse movepool (though not as much as some other normal types it must be said), you can really go either way with special or physical attack or a mix and you get to style it in a bunch of ways. It can make for an okay versatile physically defense general attack Pokémon with the ability to throw on paralysis or severe poison if you want to as well. Also gets STAB Return. Not bad.

You can make it look like this and give it a hat.
    [​IMG]

Dandy indeed

Mandriel and DeathxVictory like this.
  15. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    Miltank. It looks very cute and sure it was OU in Gen 2 and BL in Gen 3 but since Gen 4 Miltank has been seen less and less. I use a stall set on it and it works really well. It has three great abilities and while it's normal typing might give it problems it doesn't make it a bad Pokémon at all. Give Miltank a shot!

16. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Blitzle is adorable. It is an Electric Zebra, that isn't completely yellow and yet it seems to fade away quite quickly. Still think is is very nice, Zebstrika is a good Pokémon too.

17. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    First one to come to mind for me is Klinklang. It gets access to some unique moves, has a cool design and I absolutely loved using it in my White playthrough. Yet I don't see people liking it very often... I don't understand it, it's in my top 10 favorites xD

18. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    Maybe it's too early to really accurately judge this, but Alolan Persian! So far I've seen very few people talk about liking it or using it. Persian was never a huge fan favorite to begin with and even I didn't care for its weird chubby face design at first, but after evolving my very early caught Meowth and then using one for the majority of my Sun playthrough so far I have to say it's not a bad Pokémon to have around if you're looking for a Dark type or if you just don't know what else to add but would like something new. Gets that Fur Coat ability which I really like, it's one of my favorites, it's never going to be some huge tank but it can take some physical hits well and keep ticking, is a fast Pokémon, and it has a big enough move pool that it can be used to cover some bases. Typically physical but its special isn't so awful that you can't mix it up and have it be okay. It's been reliable to me in my play-through with its decent defense thanks to its ability and its speed, more than once I had it in the lead for Totem Pokémon battles, some of which it handled itself with no problem at all and when it couldn't quite do it alone for one reason or another it assisted greatly with Fake Out damage and U-Turn. My opinion of it is similar to Furfrou which I posted about earlier in the thread (the sharing of Fur Coat ability probably plays into that a bit too), a generally overlooked Pokémon that can help support your team in a decent mixed kind of way, deserving of more credit than I've seen it receive.

19. Vanillite

Vanillite Cat Lady

PokéPoints:
    ₽139.4
    You know, I'm a huge fan of the lumineon line. I'd never really thought about it much until SuMo, because Finneon's little swimming sprite drew me in..
    I dunno, I just think it's a really underrated design! I love the color scheme, and I'm glad they added it to SuMo because it really fits with the tropical theme, I believe.

20. Malfaria

Malfaria Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽36.2
    Vanilluxe is pretty cool(No pun intended) for a mono-ice type. There might be others as well....