1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Great AI, Bad Errors

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by phineas81707, Oct 22, 2016.

1. phineas81707

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.8
    I was playing against the Elite Four, facing Will with a Lanturn (might've been Choice Specced). I was using Thunderbolt against Xatu, and then Xatu got the brilliant idea to use Me First.

Xatu used Me First. Xatu used Thunderbolt. Lanturn's Volt Absorb healed Lanturn!

Have any of you encountered an instance when an allegedly good AI chose a stupid move?

2. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    That happens to me all the time. I can't remember a specific moment, but I have felt relief many times over whenever I would face strong Trainers (mostly Elite Four members such as that one Bug user from Sinnoh and that Fighting user from Unova). I still don't know how AIs choose the moves they're gonna make, but one thing's for sure: this factor of 'randomness' saved me many times over, lol.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    I think in your example it wasn't necessarily that the AI chose a stupid move, just that it didn't have all of the information needed to know that it was a bad move (like the fact that you have volt absorb as your ability, that the move that you were clicking is thunderbolt and that you were choice locked in to it, and that if you weren't choice locked what other moves could you have clicked). There could have been some situation where clicking Me First would have actually done something rather than just heal you.

What I find strange is in doubles Battle Factory when the same AI that goes for some flashy plays like flamethrowering into their partner which has flash fire to get the boost will also click rest when their at full HP and faster than every other Pokémon on the field and so guaranteed not to take any damage before the move is used unless you were to go for a priority move in to it. In cases like that there's just a practically zero percent chance that the move actually does anything that I question the AI's logic. But yeah this seems to happen fairly commonly to be honest.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. phineas81707

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.8
    ...I've done a lot of training on Route 47 and its Dittos. Trying to defeat my Lanturn with my Lanturn is a pain in the butt- it's other moves are Surf, Ice Beam and Signal Beam, the latter being the only move that really works. And while I agree that it might be likely for me to use Signal Beam... not on Xatu. Xatu also has Psychic- my Achilles heel.

5. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    This happened to me in Colosseum, I was doing the Pyrite Colosseum and one trainer had the brilliant idea of using two normal type attacks... on my Misdreavus.