1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Expecto Poké-Patronum!

Discussion in 'Art Corner' started by Perfectly Chaotic, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Perfectly Chaotic

Cubone
    (Cubone)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.5
    Are there any J.K. Rowlet Rowling fans around here?

This is my weird Harry Potter/Pokémon mash-up project I plan on selling at local comic conventions. They are Harry Potter Patronuses, in the form of (so far) gen 1 Pokémon. I intend to set up a blind-bag system, to give an element of randomness. That ties into Pokémon, with its random encounters, and Potter, since a wizard doesn't get to choose the form of his or her Patronus. It also doesn't hurt that they're both evergreen franchises, with new entries to the series coming this very month - two sets of Fantastic Beasts!

Here are some starters for starters:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1543]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:1556]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:1544]

Let me know what you think!

2. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    This is gorgeous, I love the ghostly but lively look these three starters have, I would love to see more of them in this style.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Perfectly Chaotic

Cubone
    (Cubone)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.5
    Thank you, Cadbberry! It is quite enjoyable to not have to worry about that pesky old gravity. A patronus can run or swim or swoop through the air, which makes for fun, dynamic poses.

Here's a couple fire types. .

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1547]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:1557]

Continuing the blind-bag idea, I do want to give the buyer some choice. I want to sort each Pokémon into an approriate Hogwarts house, so people can at least narrow down their selection by a broad theme. Vulpix, Growlithe, Charmander and most other fire types slot quite nicely into Gryffindor. Does anyone have ideas where other Pokémon best fit?

4. ~Nova~

~Nova~ Birby Friend

PokéPoints:
    ₽284.5
    Pokémon PATROUNUS

These are so awesome! I have no clue about the houses, though, I'm not sure who would fit better into Hufflepuff, maybe Bulbasaur?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Perfectly Chaotic

Cubone
    (Cubone)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.5
    Thanks!

Yeah, I've mostly been putting grass, ground, earthy types into Hufflepuff. But the 'Saur line is also poisonous and reptilian, so has shades of Slytherin? I think certain 'mons are going to go in more than one house. That's okay, I'll just include them in both boxes. So whether you pick the Slytherin or Hufflepuff box, you have a chance to pull Bulbasaur. Or Onix!

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1552]

Because it's snakey, but also earthy. Hufflepuff deserve some heavy hitters too; they can't all be Oddishes.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1551]

6. Cereza13

PokéPoints:
    ₽98.6
    I wanna take a quiz and find out which one of these are my poketronous :love:

7. Perfectly Chaotic

Cubone
    (Cubone)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.5
    Haha, I shall take that as a good sign, thanks Cereza! I've no idea how to set up a quiz, but it's a good idea for the future.

You bring up a good question: Pokétronus or Poké-patronus? I feel like the latter makes it more clear what the words are, but the former flows quite nicely too.

Here are some of the pokes I sorted into my own house, Ravenclaw:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1541]

Most psychic types are going to fit Ravenclaw easily.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1558]

As the house crest is a bird, most flying types go here. But being poisonous and nocturnal probably puts Zubat in Slytherin, too.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1549]

And just completed today (you folk are the first to see it) is Lapras. I've been putting water types in Ravenclaw mainly for lack of better option. Because blue, I guess? Not the strongest link, but it's working!

Cereza13 likes this.
  8. Mimic

Mimic Tuber

PokéPoints:
    ₽64.7
    Oml, I love this style & cross-over :D This is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen

9. Perfectly Chaotic

Cubone
    (Cubone)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.5
    Been a couple weeks since I posted anything new - there was this new game came out, perhaps you've heard? I've been aiming at 1st gen, but maybe I should do some Alolan variants to tie into Sun/Moon...

Heh, thank you! Here are a couple more Slytherins:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1545]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:1550]

Cadbberry likes this.
  10. shinygiratinaz

shinygiratinaz Boats Against the Current

PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    Wow, that ghostly style is pretty dang cool. :o I can't even figure out how to do wisps of smoke correctly haha!

For houses, I think if you wanted to sort it out by type something like this could work:

Slytherin- poison, bug, ghost, dark, steel

Ravenclaw- water, ice, flying, psychic

Hufflepuff- normal, grass, ground, rock, fairy

Gryfindor- fire, electric, fighting, dragon

Pokémon with dex entries that match them to a different house than their type seems like something you're already doing a bit with meowth and stuff, and I think that's a good idea. It could also give some possible type variation to the randomness if you sorted grab bags by house.

Sorry if you've already got a plan for all this, I don't mean to try and override any of your ideas. :sweat:

Cadbberry likes this.
  11. Perfectly Chaotic

Cubone
    (Cubone)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.5
    Not at all! I want to make sure they're pretty intuitive, so people don't choose a house and come away feeling like their Pokémon doesn't fit. To that end, I welcome other people's contribution.

Besides, you've pretty much nailed it. Typing gives a broad direction for house, but I don't want to feel constrained to type, if the theme, shape, or personality of the Pokémon points it somewhere else.

Question though: the Eeveelutions and Legendary Birds. With the above type breakdown, each trio has 2 out of 3 in Gryffindor. It would be nice to spread those around better. Any ideas?

12. shinygiratinaz

shinygiratinaz Boats Against the Current

PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    For the eeveelutions and birds, maybe you could go by how they're commonly used? So like, Articuno is mainly a defender and hazard clearer and could go ravenclaw, zapdos usually defends and inflicts status conditons and could be slytherin, moltres is mostly offense and could go gryffindor. Likewise, vaporeon defends and heals and could be ravenclaw, jolteon attacks all-out and could be gryffindor, and flareon usually is used with the ability guts and a toxic orb to do damage while taking damage for the team, so it could be hufflepuff. It's slightly convoluted I guess but it does divide them pretty evenly without just going down to what color they are, though that could work too haha

13. Perfectly Chaotic

Cubone
    (Cubone)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.5
    Thanks shinygiratinaz, I'll keep those suggestions in mind.

Hey, I never posted Pikachu! It was among the first batch I finished.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1553]

Pikachu has to be Gryffindor, right? Tempted to go Hufflepuff too, for being a chubby yellow rodent. And speaking of chubby and yellow:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1555]

Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw?

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1548]

And finally Hufflepuff/Slytherin. This has been the Hufflepuff/X cross-house batch.

14. ShiroLugia

ShiroLugia ✂ No Longer Human.

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    Holy crap this is really pretty?? How do you make it look so airy and have depth?? This is beautiful IM?? PLEASE TELL ME WHERE YOU'LL BE SELLING THESE

15. Perfectly Chaotic

Cubone
    (Cubone)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.5
    Thanks, ShiroLugia! I airbrush in pure black and white, with a blue "Overlay" layer on top to tint it, up the contrast, and make it pop. Then it's just about contouring the shapes.

As for buying them, aside from Calgary and Edmonton Entertainment Expos, I'm hoping to get an online store happening eventually. You'll find it at PerfectlyChaotic.com in the future.

Here's a couple patronuses:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1554]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1542]

But I had a bit of a break from these, need to get back into them. I slacked off over the holidays, and then I've been working on some physical arts 'n' crafts: prettying up some presentation boxes for the blind draw system I'll do at the cons. Here's a "before" shot of the Arcanine Gryffindor box:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1413]

16. Perfectly Chaotic

Cubone
    (Cubone)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.5
    Help! My art has been stolen!

A Harry Potter Facebook fan site called "Harry Potter Fun Facts" posted a store link wherein my patronus images were being sold on mugs. Here's the FB album. At first I thought they'd just shared something without knowing it was illegitimate, so I messaged them in a friendly way, informing them that it was stolen art, and asking them to take it down. Then I found this work in progress shot of a new design inspired by mine, suggesting that the page owner is in fact the thief. I can't really stop somebody mimicking my style and idea, but 17 out of 19 items are directly using my artwork.

I hate to ask, but please share this post wherever you can! Name and shame art thieves, support original artists, and defend against the dark arts! Facebook took the offending link down.

17. Cereza13

PokéPoints:
    ₽98.6
    Hey i found a fb page selling sweatshirts with your art on them. I screen shotted it for you

18. Perfectly Chaotic

Cubone
    (Cubone)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.5
    Thanks, reported. Looks like a different thief. Wow, my stuff sure is taking off for people who aren't me!

19. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    This is some really beautiful artwork! Although it's awful that people are stealing your designs, I can see why they'd like to. Definitely following for more.

20. Perfectly Chaotic

Cubone
    (Cubone)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.5
    Thanks, StOwl! It is quite flattering. I just wish I could get my posts to go as viral as that guy's did... (Psst... upvote on Reddit and Imgur )

I have been galvanised by the thefts to do a bunch more. Get ready for img dump

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1581]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:1580]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:1579]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:1589]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:1590]

Kimochiru and ~Nova~ like this.