1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

That thing you do when you're new

Discussion in 'Intro Lobby' started by Dawn, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I've never been any good at these introduction things. I've written several introduction posts for forums over the years, and each time I never really know what to say, so I say too much, or too little...about the only thing they've all had in common is that I start off by apologising for not knowing what to say, and the inevitable wall of babble that follows that, making it a moot statement. One of these days I'll figure it out. Maybe. Stranger things have happened.

Anyways...hi! I'm Meyneth, and I'm new here. I've been meaning to join a new forum for a while to fill in the idle hours — of which I have more than I would like — and stumbled across this place quite by accident. Pokémon has, against all odds, been a lifelong passion of mine. I'm currently twenty-seven (at time of writing, haven't even been that old for a week!) and I've loved the franchise since I was either nine or ten...to varying degrees. The third gen really put me off (well, I enjoyed Emerald a fair bit), the fourth pulled me back in and remains my favourite gen...and the fifth put me off again by somehow being worse than the third. The sixth did nothing to really entice me, so a lot rides on Sun and Moon for me, at least as far as the main series of games goes. I love the spinoff titles - more than I do the main series, maybe! - and the anime is hit-and-miss for me.

Alongside Pokémon, I spend most of my gaming time playing JRPGs these days, occasionally mixing it up with a few other things...huge fan of Metroidvanias, action/adventure titles, and the occasional FPS if they have a more interesting premise than war. Really been getting into rhythm games and visual novels these last couple of years, too. Oh, and Monster Hunter. I'll play pretty much anything that isn't an MMO (I've done the whole FFXIV thing; never again) or a simulator, sports, puzzle, fighting, or racing game...OK, maybe I won't play pretty much anything after all! I'll give most things a go before I write them off, though. Tried The Last of Us recently after years of saying I'd never touch it. Quite enjoyed it in places.

Outside of gaming, I enjoy the usual mix of stuff. I watch a lot of anime, I read a lot of fantasy novels — and occasionally try writing my own, although I'm honestly not much of a writer — I listen to music, etc. My hobbies and interests would be several loooong paragraphs I'm not going to write...at least not yet. This is probably long enough already as it is.

Not a huge amount to say about me "irl" really. I finished my postgraduate degree a few years ago and managed to get a job I was very happy with, but unfortunately my health worked against me after a few months and I've been out of work for a while now trying to sort everything out...with very little success, I'll admit. Probably best if I don't go there — especially not in my intro post of all places! - although I'm hoping to sort a few things out towards the end of this year/beginning of next year. I volunteer a few times a week and have a fair few doctor's appointments, and things aren't as gloomy as they probably sound. Most of the time, anyway. We all have our moments, right? 2016 has been a horrible year for me (hell, between bad political choices and massive celebrity death it's been a bad year in general!) but I have hopes 2017 will be better.

So, um...that's it. Never been any good at these introduction things, yet I still somehow manage to write far more than I should. Sorry for the babble. In any case, I hope to get you know y'all in the coming days, and I'll see you around~

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Sanctuary likes this.
  2. Skittyamcute

Skittyamcute Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.3
    Welcome! I love the fourth gen too! That game had such great mechanics! There's so much fun games out there isn't there? I hope you have a great rest of the year and oncoming years too and I hope you have a good time here!

3. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    Hey there Meyneth, and welcome to LV!
    Trust me, LV is a great place to spend your idle hours, everyone here is super friendly and helpful, so I promise you you won't regret it :D
    For me, like for many others here, Pokémon has been a big part of my life as well. I'm still excited for Pokémon Sun and Moon, even though I get weird looks at school whenever I mention I still like Pokémon, lol. Did you follow all of the leaks or do you intend to jump into the games as empty-minded as possible?

In case you have any questions, feel free to ask them!
    I hope to see you around the site \o/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Nightmare Tala

Hoppip
    (Skiploom)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽17,057.9
    King's Rock ★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Darkinum Z ★★★★
    Its a great intro. Nice seeing ya here in lake valor and have lots of fun

5. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    Dawn is the best. Nice and welcome :3

6. Orangesyum88

PokéPoints:
    ₽77.8
    Welcome Meyneth! I just happen to join a month ago, and everyone here is so friendly. You will like it here! I'm sorry you have been under the weather of bad health, I wish you the best of health and hope you get better. 2016 hasn't been the best for me this year also. Let's hope 2017 would bring happiness and less chaos.

7. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    And what's wrong with saying too much? 'Tis wiser to provide too much information than too little. It's certainly a very well-rounded explanation, though I can certainly share your sentiment as far as greetings threads are concerned - I never make one because I feel explaining myself succinctly therein would be insufficient.

In any case it seems you have a lot to bring to the table. We do have a fair handful of people who are into Monster Hunter and love it to pieces (they could talk about it for hours and never get bored - and they have). I can't blame them, truly - it's quite a pretty and involved game.

You've talked very much about your hobby and love of video games; is that the thing you enjoy most to take up much of your time, or is there something else in particular you tend to focus on more often?

8. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Welcome to Lake Valor! I love the 4th gen, so much story and development, it was one of the best :D I am sorry you have been under the weather but I hope we can help pick you up a little! If you need any help let me know, I hope to see you around on here or on the discord if you wanna chat, it is a great place to meet more members of the forum as many chat on there.

9. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Thanks for the welcomes, guys :3

I've not really followed the leaks at all, haha. I've often found that following along with pre-release information - especially with high profile titles - is the fastest way to set yourself up for disappointment, so I'll be jumping in pretty much blind...although that means I'll have to go on a five-day hiatus from the internet, since I'm in the UK and will thus be subject to an unwarranted and unfair delay >.>

Nothing whatsoever, but first impressions are often important, and it can be difficult to know what to say. Or how much to say. I perceive the need to introduce myself and provide a little more detail than is typical, as that's just how I am. But ultimately, yes, it will always be insufficient, as people can't really get to know you from a single brief summary. It's a good basis to start, though!

I used to do an awful lot of creative work - I roleplayed on original region Pokémon boards, I've been working on fantasy novels of my own for years, done a little fanfiction, etc - but as I've gotten older and found I have less time for things I am predominantly a gamer in my spare time, yes. I'd like to get back into these other things, but it's difficult to find the motivation and sustain it long enough to finish anything...

10. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I can certainly see that. I was much like that when younger as well (though it focused more on the story writing), and now while older I can find neither the time nor the focus to do things like that. Perhaps when I have more spare time...or I suppose if I have more.

Writing is a bit harder in this regard, but you could go about it a little bit at a time. Even if it's mostly brainstorming and writing ideas down, it's definitely some work that's better than none. Then the challenge is compiling it all together.

Still, you seem like a nice and agreeable person, so I hope your stay here is an enjoyable one. I'll be around if needed.

11. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    Welcome to LV Meyneth! That was a great introduction, I'm sure you'll like it here as there are many others who share similar interests (especially in the Pokémon and anime department). Also, if you need any help with anything just feel free to ask. I hope you have a wonderful swim through the community and enjoy your stay! :)

12. Emmie

Emmie Tuber

PokéPoints:
    ₽61.6
    Welcome to Lake Valor! I think your introduction was great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.