1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Online Bans for Pirated Copies

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by shinygiratinaz, Nov 16, 2016.

1. shinygiratinaz

shinygiratinaz Boats Against the Current

PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    Recently, copies of Sun and Moon have been leaked as ROMs and have been downloaded and played by a large amount of people who couldn't wait until this Friday to get their hands on the game. A portion of those people are now announcing that after using online services with those leaked copies, they've been banned from using any online services at all on their 3DS, including the E-Shop and online features for other games. People aren't sure if the bans are permanent or only 15 days, but in any case they'll not be able to use online services until well after the true release of Sun and Moon.

Personally, I think that if somebody thought it was a good idea to access the online servers for a game that they owned a cracked version of and that wasn't even supposed to be able to go online yet, they're kinda getting what they deserve. That just doesn't seem like a very smart choice, imho.

What do you guys think of these bans? Do you think it's unfair to block all of their online access? Or do you think people who pirated the game are getting a fair punishment?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Derahex likes this.
  2. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    I had a couple of friends that had this happen to this. While I do feel bad that they can't go online for a while, at the same time... using online services of a game that hasn't even been released yet just isn't very smart. I'd be lying if I said that they didn't have it coming to them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    ROMs are illegal. I know that sounds stupid, especially because I use ROMs as well (DS roms though, I don't know how to install 3DS roms), but in this case, the game isn't even officially out yet. That's just outright ridiculous.
    I understand why it can be tempting, but somewhere in their right minds, I'm sure the "victims" of this ban knew this could happen to them. Pokémon had all rights to ban these people from online services. After all, they did something illegal.

4. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    In my opinion they're lucky all they got was a ban, by all rights whoever owns the licenses for the games (I'm gonna guess it's either Nintendo or the Pokémon Company) could probably take it further.

5. thunder2910

thunder2910 Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.6
    I think its good that they've received some sort of punishment, it was very foolish of them do to something like that in the first place

6. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    This punishment is light in my opinion. They worked so hard on this game, I mean a lot of new amazing changes, and people are stealing it in end. I think a ban should be for a lot longer then 15 days, maybe for a few month or how much the game costs, 40 days. For real, maybe they should have to pay the 40 dollars it costs and they don't get a their rom and nothing from Game Freak or Nintendo in general.

7. Smooshie

Smooshie Feebas Enthusiast

Mimi
    (Feebas)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽270.2
    Oh wow, I just read the article about this. It's a fair punishment considering that it was illegally obtained. I wonder if the ban will be for a long while or if it would render their 3DS' unuseable. If it's a permanent ban, then I think that's a little too far a punishment.

8. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I read about this, they were kinda stupid for using services for a game not even out yet, so they had it coming.

9. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    They had it coming. Just wait like everyone else, taking illegal measures to play a game that will come out in a couple of days is not worth it.

10. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    I can't blame Nintendo for doing this one bit, the piracy of such a huge title undermines their efforts and this is like making an example of those who try. Though, I can't help but feel a little bit bad for those people who are banned and I hope it's not permanent for them.

11. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    It's probably just the jealousy talking - after all, I have to wait until Wednesday for these games for no reason whatsoever - but I am very glad that Nintendo decided to do this. There should be some sort of repercussion for people who decided to pirate the game. It's far too light a punishment unless it extends beyond the game's release date (perhaps but not permanent, but until the end of the year at least, certainly) but it's better than nothing.

12. IceyEmmy

IceyEmmy Swimmer

PokéPoints:
    ₽26.2
    I rather like Nintendo's take on the pirated versions. I mean not only were the people playing the game and revealing info that shouldn't be readily available, for nearly every single person that had downloaded the pirated version, that's one less person buying the real game to support the company. Honestly, the punishment could've been far more severe, but of course then you have to take into consideration laws of every location regarding piracy. I, personally, hope that the people who got banned stay banned for at least a couple of months to TRY to get the point across that THAT is not okay.

13. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,997.3
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Just getting banned seems kinda light really, unless is a perma ban. I read an article about it earlier and it doesn't say whenever is a temporarily or permanent ban. Is fair that they got a ban tho for doing something like that instead of waiting.

14. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    I heard it was a perma-ban, sadly no proof (Nintendo) has come out saying so, but its what they deserve...So....

15. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,997.3
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Someone I talked to said it was just 15 days but I honestly don't believe them since there's no proof. I just hope the ban is long if is not permanent, like a year.

Apawn likes this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    I don't mind piracy, but these bans are totally warranted. It should have been common sense to not go online before the game's release, and I honestly don't know what anyone was expecting. It was practically waving a bright red piracy flag and yelling into a megaphone, "I stole the game! I stole the game!"

As for the length of the ban, Nintendo has given responses; however, they've been inconsistent. It seems to be leaning towards permanent, but we won't know until 15 days after the initial ban has passed.

17. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    "I stole the game! I stole the game!" hahaha! (my stomach)

Piracy will always be something. And no matter how you steal something, the punishment is always fair because it is unfair that you get something that is not yours without paying a price.