1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The Battle Didn't Count

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by phineas81707, Nov 29, 2016.

1. phineas81707

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.8
    So... I've being doing a Pokédex-filling run on my first run, and I've been learning very quickly one of the disadvantages of doing so- trainers ambushing me and forcing me to battle. I've taken several blackouts thanks to this because half my party is Dex fodder.

In doing so, I found something interesting. After beating UB-01 at the Aether Paradise, you experience a number of cutscenes (getting TM29 on the way) and then Hau challenges you to a battle... and you aren't given the chance to save in between the two fights. To rub salt in the wound, Hau 'But Thou Must's you into it. Hau swept my team of Cubone, underleveled Sandygast and Dex fodder with his Raichu, and there was no way my last save point would allow me to get to a PC.

Fortunately, to my surprise, this mid-game rival battle does NOT require that you win to advance.

But that's not all. I have heard from someone else that the first fight against the main antagonist also does this- victory and defeat alike don't matter. I have not been able to test this, but I have no reason to believe he is lying.

What do you think? Have any of you lost to a battle and found out the game doesn't care? Or have you been saving and resetting the instant a loss happens, and failed to notice? If you haven't heard about this feature before, what do you think of it?

2. Rafael

Rafael Math Geek

Odd Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,073.8
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★
    It is true that you are allowed to lose in those battles. I'm not 100% sure but I think it has been a feature since Gen 6. I kinda remember reading something like that online but I've never actually experienced it before.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    The games are less of a jerk to you then when you had to get pummeled by Silver after you left your good team in the PC forty times until you got a crit and fainted his Golbat.
    #MissingNo

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    A part of me doesn't like it and it comes down to this. Back in my day, we didn't take defeat from our rivals, we ground them to dust. While the point of having a rival was to make you better, the ultimate goal was to defeat them and show them why they were wrong. Now it just feels like they are saying winning and losing doesn't matter. While I believe that is true, skating by like that feels like I'm getting a participation trophy and I'm not a fan of that. It also in my opinion makes the game way easier and while Pokémon is by no means supposed to be a difficult game, it is supposed to be a challange. And like all challanges, there are consequences for losing and they kinda took that out of the mix and made it too easy in my opinion. Please remember that this is just my opinion and that doesn't make me wrong or right. I think this just means that Pokémon needs a way to set or change the difficulty for the games besides things like nuzlockes or other self imposed rules.

5. 「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」

「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」 Dᴇᴀᴛʜ's Dɪᴘʟᴏᴍᴀᴛ

HeartGold
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Heart Scale ★★
    Pokémon Sun and Moon seems to be softer when battling now because the moves show you what are effective, super effective and not effective at all. The game make sure you know the basics. So i feel like so many younger kids has a harder time progressing in older games they had to make this game a bit easier even with the new challenges.

6. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I miss being pummeled by the important opponents. I want a hard mode that compensates the veteran player. I want to be forced to win and be on the top of my game every time. Not having to win is not what I want or need. And can they get rid of the tutorials, please? I know how to catch a Damn Pokémon.

7. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Pretty much the same as Marine, the games going soft is not really gonna do any of the veteran players any good. We had a hard mode in BW2 even if it was introduced is a extremely stupid way i enjoyed playing through the game on it because it did make the game just a tad harder. I've had no issues with any games from gen 6 and 7 because they make them way too easy, I want a challenge, I want to be able to feel the pressure on in important battles. In Gen 6 and 7 I have not really felt that which is really disappointing and I really hope they reintroduce hard mode or some sort of difficulty system again so those of us that wants a challenge can have that.

8. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I am not a fan of it, I want battles to show or not. Making them not count makes there no need to be in my opinion. A battle against a rival should be a changing point, where your level should be at or else you may have to restart that section of the game. Your skill is being tested and if you fail you restart.