1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The National Dex

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Rafael, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Rafael

Rafael Math Geek

Odd Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,073.8
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★
    I've been working on my living dex these past few days and I realized that I have not yet received a national dex. It turns out that there isn't one in this game. Also, there isn't any achievement for it in the Trainer Passport. The Shiny Charm, which was previously given to people who completed the National Dex, is now given to people who only completed the Alola Dex.

It was already announced that the Pokebank is going to get a National Dex feature next year but it's unclear if this will also replace the National Dex on Sun/Moon or if it will be added to Sun/Moon in an update.

Personally I would be really annoyed if it were removed from the games. First, it's something that's always been there from the start and many people look forward to completing it in every new game. Also, I don't like the idea of having to go to Pokebank just to check a Pokémon's description. It is a pain to use Pokebank especially for people with slow internet (I've experienced it firsthand).

What are your thoughts on this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    I'd also be extremely annoyed if it was removed but I doubt it will happen, would be nonsensical to remove such a huge staple.

My understanding of the bank/national dex thing was that the use of the bank with Sun/Moon when it becomes possible is what unlocks it for everyone within the game itself, basically being the method of the update. If not by the mere use of the bank via transfers then an option like "obtain National Dex" or something in one of the bank menus (and then maybe some NPC appears to upgrade Rotom-dex in nearest Pokémon center like the gift delivery folks, something along those lines). That just made the most sense to me. It really feels like they tried hard to make things clearer and more accessible this gen (EVs, IVs after a certain point, in battle buffs) and requiring use of the bank just to see national listings would be cumbersome and not in line with that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rafael

Rafael Math Geek

Odd Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,073.8
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★
    I hope you're right about that :( Many people are saying it's unlikely because the National Dex isn't programmed into the game as of now, and that it's strange that it isn't if they were going to include it later on anyway.

4. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    My guess is that it would be after Poke Bank releases, may be a game update at that time to include it but it doesn't get you anything,

5. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    Maybe it's not programmed into the game because the Alolan Pokédex will be updated? I'm not sure, but I am hoping that the National Dex is in it! After all, there are Pokémon that can be caught in game that are not in the Pokédex, like Cyndaquil, Totodile and Chikorita.

6. OminousMoon

OminousMoon Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽22.9
    I'm hoping we get SOMETHING in the nest update that will serve as a National Dex. But I also hope it doesn't replace the Alola Dex since people have been working hard on that in regars to filling it up.
    Now I'm also wondering if pokebank will allow X,Y,and ORAS Pokémon to go back and fourth from the bank and the games or i it will use SM as the main bank

7. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,020.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    If we get the national dex it most likely won't replace the current one since games that have both regional and national dex have always to my knowledge been able to freely switch between the two. It also won't make any sense to replace the Alola dex with it simply because the Alola dex is the 7th gens regional dex they've never removed a regional dex before to my knowledge plus due to the shiny charm the Alola dex plays too big a role for them to simply just remove it. It would just be cruel to replace the Alola dex which means people that ain't fast enough or don't have time to just sit down and fill their dex now have to register something like x2.5 (not good at math so just guessing) the number of mons to get the shiny charm.