1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Biggest Loser

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cadbberry, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    This show has been on for so many years and is a competition about overweight people working to lose as much weight as possible. They push competitors to the limits and even push them to be tempted by unhealthy foods. It used to be a show my family loved but as time went on we saw it get more twisted as people would begin to get sick or realize how fast these people were dropping weight and how unhealthy it was. It was entertaining until we thought about what was going on and the damage that was really occurring to these people. The show has finished season 17 and is bound to get another.

How do you like this show or feel about the way people are getting healthy?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    The concept of the show seems okay on the surface but it's come out in numerous articles that the behind the scenes methods for weight loss and more importantly treatment of contestants sucked hard and it was not healthful or actually helpful at all.

Whether you believe these or not is up to you, but these are things I've heard talked about in the past and a quick search brought up tons of results regarding scandals and contestants speaking out about shady shit, these are only three:
    https://nypost.com/2015/01/18/contestant-reveals-the-brutal-secrets-of-the-biggest-loser/
    http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1069999/biggest-loser-past-contestants-reveal-brutal-behind-the-scenes-secrets
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2927207/We-fat-Former-Biggest-Loser-contestants-admit-controversial-regained-weight-endure-lasting-health-issues.html

If these are reputable at all it's not a show I would want to support, not so much because viewers are basically lied to via editing and hush-hush contracts (that's reality TV in general and par for the course) but because it would appear the contestants themselves were shafted and potentially damaged under the guise of better health.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    As with almost all reality TV that I've ever seen or heard of, it's scripted and encourages the most terrible trends in social behaviour. That sounds like I am being extravagant and generalist, but take a look at even the cooking shows and you'll see they all outright encourage mean and nasty behavior for ratings, and that there's nothing to find fascinating because they are told what to do and when. It's a pity that they don't try and do some of the concepts they come up with genuinely, but the staging is what makes them damaging.

It bothers me deep down to know that everyone is very sheep like and will continue to watch any of those kinds of programs, even if they are being entertained by human suffering. It seems like people don't want to think, and those shows tell you what to think.