1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Best Game of 2016?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nate, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    2016 is coming to a close. A lot of different games came out over the course of this year. Which of these games do you consider the best of what you played? The game must have come out in 2016 but if it's some sort of re-release or remake that's fine too!

I'm having trouble picking my favorite, personally. It's between Pokémon Sun/Moon and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Both RPGs were a lot of fun to play and I feel they do better at different things.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I have three favourite games of 2016: Pokémon Sun/Moon, Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice and Zero Time Dilemma. ZTD concluded a game series I love very much (although it scares the shit out of me, lol) and the ending was simply marvelous, although I had to look away from the screen at some points. Ace Attorney's newest game is the first installment in almost five years and it was totally worth my time, even though I haven't even finished the DLC case yet. I guess Pokémon Sun and Moon is an obvious pick: it's a huge change in the Pokémon franchise and it turned out really well.
    All in all, this was a very good gaming year for me, and I look forward to seeing what 2017 has in store for me :3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    Sun and Moon! It was really nice to take a journey in Alola and it felt like a rebirth for the Pokémon franchise. I liked how complete the characters felt with their character development. It was pretty rad.

Shoutout to Mystic Messenger, one of my favorite otome games so far. I love my pretty boys.

4. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I never really got to play it but Overwatch was a cool game. I like the character designs mainly, my sister plays the game and loves it. She explains a lot of what is going on since I have never played a shooter game like that, all I have played as an FPS was Golden Eye 007 for the N64. We made gingerbread cookies and decorated them as the overwatch crew, then tweeted it at them and he got a lot of likes from the VAs and a retweet or two which was really cool.
    Other then that Pokémon Sun and Moon was a knockout. The game was visually amazing and the story was one of the best produced by the company. It had amazing characters and replay value which is more than I can say for Pokémon ORAS and XY.

5. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    So many great games came out in 2016, and even better ones announced so 2017 is due to be an amazing year for gamers (hopefully). To choose between all the games I played and genuinely enjoyed is a difficult endeavor, although the three top ones would be Sun/Moon in third place. I haven't finished the game yet due to time constraints, but i've enjoyed it so far and looking forward to finishing the game. Second place would be Overwatch, I've spent so much time on this game either alone or with my friends and despite it being frustrating at times I've had so many enjoyable moments that I just had to include the game but my top game would be Final Fantasy XV, despite only having it for a few days I've already put up to 30 hours into the game and have been hooked with the story, characters and environment since the moment i started playing. Looking forward to continuing that journey into 2017 and continuing it with all these new games :D

6. thunder2910

thunder2910 Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.6
    I've only played 2-3 games this year but Pokémon Sun and Moon were great, I loved the characters and the storyline and I was actually tempted to buy the other version (Moon) :3 not only that but I felt myself struggling in some parts of the game, something that last happened in B/W

Other than that I've played FE; Fates Birthright and it was fun (and quite challenging too), I'm going to buy the other paths soon to experiance the whole story

7. Rafael

Rafael Math Geek

Odd Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,073.8
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★
    It's not a hard choice for me. I'd go with Sun/Moon since I've been way too busy to even try out other games XD Besides, Sun/Moon's story is my favorite so far from all of the Pokémon games. The new mechanics in this game are really refreshing to have since the old "battle gym leaders for badges" thing was getting way too repetitive.

I might have gone for Persona 5 based on the Japanese gameplay available on YouTube, but the US version doesn't come out until next year so that probably doesn't count.

8. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    This is never an easy question for me, because I didn't play very many video games this year at all, never mind if they came out this year or not. The first game I think of that I played and also came out this year was Fire Emblem Fates, and I would never in a thousand years call that game 'good'. It wasn't as bad as Shadow Dragon, but it's close.

So to aid me in answering the question, I've had to look up a list of all of the video games I played that came out this year, and thus sort and pick those from that list.
    Here's the list I constructed:

:: Plague Inc: Evolved (not mine; a friend owned it and I played it once or twice)
    :: Zero Time Dilemma
    :: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice

Not exactly a large list, is it?

Mario Party: Star Rush would be on that list, except I haven't been able to set enough money aside for it yet - that, and I simply keep forgetting about it. It only came out about a month and a half ago, and I was neck-deep in university obligations at the time.

So I suppose that Spirit of Justice takes the cake for my favourite game this year, easily. Zero Time Dilemma was also quite good, but I wasn't nearly as into it as I was with Virtue's Last Reward. I think the cutscene format for storytelling really threw me off. It didn't feel nearly as real as the other games did, thus making the immersion weaker. (As evidence, I cite the cutscene with the fire extinguisher. If you've played the game, you will know which scene I'm talking about.)

And now to go back to playing games from 3 years ago, or even earlier still.

9. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    My favourite game would definitely be Pokémon Sun Version, and for my sister, Pokémon Moon Version. Since I didn't buy many games last year other than Hyrule Warriors Legends and Twilight Princess HD, there weren't many games to choose from. Sun and Moon, to me, was even better thanks to the appearance of Red and Blue and the others, and also an Easter Egg mentioning one of my number 1. Pokémon Characters, but I won't say it because it may be regarded as a spoiler.

10. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    Here's my picks.
    Sun and Moon, Overwatch, Kirby Planet Robobot, Hyrule Warriors Legends, Skyrim Special Edition and Far Cry Primal.

11. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Choosing between my favorite game of the previous year is hard. FE: Fates was amazing, but I love AAPW: Spirits of Justice for the characters also a lot. Also Pokémon Sun and Moon were very well done and actually different from the staple serie. Nintendo, bless you for these amazing games.

12. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    It have to be between Pokémon SM and Fire Emblem Fates, both were very well made and still fun to play even to this day!

13. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    As far as games that came out last year, I spent a lot of time on Fire Emblem Fates and completed all three routes, and I liked that game a lot! For my first FE game, it was very entertaining- not like what I usually play, but still really fun. Sun and Moon were also fun, although I didn't really play those that much. Still, they were incredible games, and I'm gonna get back to them sometime.

But, my favorite game of 2016, by far, was Final Fantasy XV. It was the first main-series FF game I actually got and played at launch, and... goddamn. I love it so much, even with its flaws. The characters are just so likeable and fleshed out in interesting ways, the world is expansive and beautiful, the sidequests are a fun way to pass the time, the dungeons can be actually challenging... and oh man, the story. Ranges all the way from hilarious to absolutely heartbreaking, and I can't get enough of it. Definitely my favorite game of the year, I'll be playing it and the various DLC for a long while.