1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

First-person or third-person?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Megarai111, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    There are generally two kinds of games: first-person games and third-person games. (I'm not sure whether second-person games exist or not, so I left those out)
    Both come with vastly different playing styles. An example of a first-person game is Portal (both 1 and 2), an example of a third-person game is Pokémon.

Which one do you prefer, first-person or third-person games? Why?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ~Nova~

~Nova~ Birby Friend

PokéPoints:
    ₽284.5
    I mostly prefer third-person games, although that might be because I never play any first-person ones.

One reason is so you can see your character. In first-person, yes, you can see what the character is seeing and such, but to me, it's easier to get attached to the characters when you can see them. Also, in games where you can customize your character, what's the point if you don't see them?

Also I'm a huge wimp and can't play horror games, much less first-person ones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    It's not just shooter games that deal with varying camera angles; a lot of games deal with them.
    I personally have more of a preference for the third-person camera view. My reasons for such are fairly simple.

First, you have a wider panoramic range and it's very easy to see what's going on around you, to see what obstacles are around you or even coming towards you - the camera rotation does allow a bit more freedom, especially if you want to see what's behind you. Second, first-person camera views in video games I have noticed don't do a very good job of peripheral vision; the peripheral vision it offers is either very poor or just outright doesn't exist, so I don't find it as helpful (or realistic) as I would with another camera view. Third, it's much easier to see what your character is doing, in terms of movement, equipment, stance, simple things like that; with a first-person view you only get your character's eyes, and don't get to see much of the rest.

I'm not saying that first-person camera view is bad - far from it - it just isn't as helpful to me as a third-person view is. I have played some games that allow you to switch between first- and third-person views (Ratchet & Clank is an example), and (with only very few exceptions) I have generally found the third-person camera view to be more helpful, at least for my play style.

4. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    I prefer third person view. I don't play as an avatar, but I play as the actual character. For example, in the Legend of Zelda, I play as Link, not myself. In Pokémon, I play as someone else, not myself (although I consider that character myself). Third person view helps me to connect to the main character and helps me to view the world in all corners. I'd feel quite annoyed if I couldn't see behind me in a video game, as I like to take in my surroundings.

First person only comes in handy for me if I am zooming in to see an object from far away.

5. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I am huge on third person games, they make me feel more secure. Also first person games often give me motion sickness if they move too much, both me and my sister have issues with Tracer in Overwatch because she moves and teleports that the movement makes us sick.

6. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Thirdddd person for life tbh. I can't get used to 1st person at all, and i like seeing the character I'm playing as.

7. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I think both styles are great at doing different things. For example, Visual Novels I feel that a first-person view does a great job of getting you engrossed in the world and characters. But this view doesn't make a lot of sense in an RPG like Final Fantasy or Pokémon. There's really no point in it.

So yeah, I enjoy both styles for different games.

8. Auric

Auric Platinum Addict

Another one!!??!
    (Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.6
    Black Glasses ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Soda Pop ★Oran Berry ★★
    I really prefer first person games since it is easier to control for me.I only use third person in some games.

9. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I most often play and prefer third person, it just sits better with me and I've gotten used to it. For some odd reason, first person games can sometimes give me motion sickness; especially when the movement is quick. :sweat:

10. Inken'in

Inken'in Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Amulet Coin ★★★Icy Rock ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    For most games, if there is an option of choosing between first person and third person, I'll go with the first person. It kinda just feels better that way, for the lack of better explanation.

11. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Two years ago I would've said first person, it just helps with the immersion in a game if you're seeing it play out through your own eyes instead of over someone's head. After learning how to create games though, I prefer third person. More specifically top-down camera view third person. This perspective makes things somewhat easier when developing gameplay.

12. JellyBunnyBeans!

JellyBunnyBeans! PKMN Breeder

Cuti
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.3
    1st Person for games that involve acuracy such as shooters (Overwatch). It's easier to target when you don't have the character's head in the way.
    3rd Person for open world games, makes navigating the parkour of Assassin's Creed so easy

13. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,021.5
    I generally prefer third-person. It offers a better view, I prefer to see my surroundings and what behind me, and I like to see the character. The only first-person games I can think of that I like are the Metroid Prime series and the Portal series.

14. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    I'll always be a third-person person. Seeing things from your character's POV is interesting, but I don't enjoy it as much for a reason that I can't really put my finger on? It doesn't give you as wide a scope of your surroundings, so you can't appreciate the scenery as much. And sound cues or not, there's always that paranoia that an enemy could sneak up behind you in shooters or games like Minecraft, leading to either a jumpscare or an unexpected death. It's probably one reason why I prefer Splatoon and other third-person shooters over FPSs; it's easier to keep an eye out for other players when your field of vision isn't limited.

15. FrennyDaFren

FrennyDaFren School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽36.4
    I prefer first-person because personally.. I am A LOT better at playing games that are first-person. Also, it feels more immersive then third-person. But, there are certain games in third-person that I do enjoy playing (Even if I'm really bad at playing third-person games).

16. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Third person is usually easier for me. Aside from maybe Skyrim.

17. Shada

Shada netflix binging

(Taillow)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽252.7
    Repel ★Charizardite X ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Bottle Cap ★★★★★
    Unless the protagonist is not a Mary Sue and has good character development, I will go with third person.

With third person, you can see every persons thoughts (if omniscient) and see other scenes that don't happen in the first person's view. (For example, knowing who a traitor is, but the protagonist doesn't), and it makes the plot feel whole most of the time for me.

18. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I prefer third-person by a long shot. It's easier for me, and in terms of shooters the only third person one I've bothered with is Splatoon (and the only shooter I've bothered with) so it's not as heart attack inducing with sudden scares and such. And first person just looks awkward.

19. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    First person games tend to make me motion sick, but for something like Portal and Minecraft I don't usually mind them. When you can toggle between the two like in Skyrim though, I tend to go with third person. How else are you going to get to see your awesomely designed character in that ebony armor? >:D

The only instance of a "Second person" game I can think of would be one of those choose your adventure style text-based games. The kind that actually narrate the story in second person. Perspective-wise, I think second person would really only work if you played as one character observing everything another character did?

20. Sinclare

Sinclare Flaming Hot Gym leader

Chiyo
    (Growlithe)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽193.0
    In PUBG I always play 3rd person. Shooters, I can't stand playing in First, its just so hard to see everything. I feel like its extremely restrictive.