1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What Influences You Most To Buy Games

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nate, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    There are many influences when it comes to getting you to buy a game. Your friends, trailers, ads, seeing the game being played on Youtube or Twitch, etc.

Which influence do you find has the greatest impact on you when you're looking to buy new games?

I've found that seeing a game played on Youtube is a big factor to getting me interested. Seeing actual people play the game instead of just trailers helps me get a better feel for the game and makes me want to buy it more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Usually my friends. If I know my friends are super into a game and play it a lot then I'll definitely consider picking it up because games are always best enjoyed with your buddies! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tmo

Tmo Swimmer

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.9
    Youtube also helps my decision a lot. Seeing how the game plays and would feel makes the deal.

4. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,993.4
    Demos and YouTube longplays--I like to try before I buy, being this renting the game for a few days and trying it myself, or watching a longplay on YouTube. So if I don't like the demo, I probably won't like the full game.

However, sometimes I have enjoyed the demo, but was disappointed in the full game. ::eyes Bravely Default::

5. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I buy a game either because I've heard people talk about it or because I'm in a store and see the game is on sale. I'm not too quick to jump into new gaming series but I do end up getting swayed to buy a new game pretty fast if it's a gaming series I'm familiar with.

6. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Cheap prices, mainly. I refuse to pay full price for a game these days if it's not a Skylanders title. I try to trade in a few games or use vouchers to get money off.

The odd time too some let's player or a feiend may introduce me to a game. If i really like it, I'll end up buying it.

7. POKE

POKE Ace Trainer

Johnny Waffles
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.3
    Premier Ball ★
    Playing the trilogy and hoping it to get better, if I played the first then most definitively I believe the second will be better, I get hyped just thinking about it

8. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    1. If it's a game in a franchise I like, like Pokémon
    2. My friends telling me about it
    3. Looking at LPs and stuff and liking it.

9. FireLucario

PokéPoints:
    ₽70.2
    I'm a bit of an open-ended gamer. I like to buy various games based on what I want at the time.

For example, on my Wii U, I'm currently obsessed with LEGO Dimensions while on Steam, I've currently been wanting resource management games, simulation games, FPS games, survival games, etc. but due to my PC only having three gigs of RAM, some games are unplayable for me on Steam.

10. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    my factor include: friends, family, what kind of game, series, the focus of the game play itself, story line is a big one for me, what can I achieve ingame, customization, am I familiar with it in some way, is there anyone near me who will play it, online content, exclusive content, and if it has any in game collectable (because I like to collect things)

11. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    If it's part of an established series that I loved it's usually an instant buy, or if it's clearly something a similar vein thereof, such as stardew valley and rune factory in relation to harvest moon. If I think it won't rely on heavy combat, have some form of collecting/completionism and nice graphics, I'm also in :'D

12. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Standardly, if I'm to get a new video game, it will have to be from an existing series I know and love. To get into new series, I would have to be either recommended the game (in which case I'd do a bit of research on my own) or see the game in action myself (in which case a piece of the research is already done for me).

Research isn't always possible, but it definitely helps. With the game 999, all I knew was what it was basically about, but hadn't seen any gameplay - and it turned out to be a pleasant surprise, enough that I have gone on to own all three of the trilogy's titles. It can work both ways too - after a recommendation, I'll play one game in a series, and I'll be so turned off by it that I won't want to play it or anything like it ever again (as happened with Mega Man Zero 3).

In the end I just don't buy video games very often, as I don't play video games to look for more, but rather enjoy what I already have.

13. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    For me, it is really either planned ahead or spur of the moment. If I heard good things and I see it I may buy it just randomly. That is what I did with Triforce Heros (which I regret buying). If I plan it is usually a Pokémon or AC game, I don't plan for most games since they are not all confirmed to be great, games like HHD I waited on, then bought anyway, but games like PSMD and LoZ TH I just saw in store, heard good things and bought because they were on sale for like 10 bucks off. Usually, the name and reviews make me want to buy a game the most.

14. ShockingPsychicTyphoon

PokéPoints:
    ₽16.2
    Poké Ball ★
    I like to "try before I buy" or if someone has it weeks/months before release I'll lightly spoil myself to see if it's worth it.

Ones I 100% on usually are Nintendo related, and normally popular titles like Pokémon, Mario, Metroid, ect. ^_^