1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Achromatic, Jan 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKlRN2YpxRE

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an updated version of Mario Kart 8 comprised of all the DLC characters and courses, a revamped battle mode, new items, two item slots and new characters coming to Nintendo Switch. Discuss!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Crown of ValorPhilosopher's CowlStaff of VerityTapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    You can race as the Inkling girl now?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    Seems so!

I never bought MK8 because that particular one did not interest me. I love the MK series generally, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get this one either. MK7 was a huge disappointment to me as the controls felt very very odd, and I ended up reselling it about 2-3 months after I got it.

@[member="Achromatic"], do you know if the DLC characters from MK8 are still going to be DLC in the deluxe version, or if they'll be simply unlockable characters loaded onto the game?

4. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    @[member="Kouhai"] I'm assuming the DLC characters are still DLC considering they're not from the Mario franchise, but I could be wrong.

Can we just all stop to appreciate that they're giving us actual battle stages instead of rehashing race courses? I don't get why they just didn't release MK9 instead of a generalized update of MK8, but all these new features with the Switch graphics look really fun to play.

5. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    @[member="SkittleBox"] you're probably right, but I can be hopeful, you know? I'd rather not have a Smash 4 DLC craze again.

I was thinking the same thing about the battle stages! That was one of the most fun aspects of MK DS, in my opinion, and I'm glad that Nintendo re-introduced it.

As for the Deluxe vs. MK 9, I'm seriously not surprised. With rumors of Pokémon Stars (codenamed that way--it's said to be an updated Sun and Moon), and the entire system seemingly becoming a better Wii U, it seems more like Nintendo is trying to re-milk cows that didn't have much to milk the first time. They did this with the 3DS (dropping the price a boatload), and were vastly successful, so I'll still root for the system.

The graphics do look better overall than MK8 at the moment, though, so that's another draw to the game, though a minor one.

6. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    @[member="Kouhai"] Nintendo's not dropping the price of the Switch though... if games sell for Wii U price, a Switch with MK8+ (if we're assuming that they don't preload games onto the switch and you have to buy the game in disc form), that'll be $360 or something... *sigh* the price of entertainment has really done up...

With the little bubble next to your item, is that for another item? I'm curious about that as of now...

7. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Crown of ValorPhilosopher's CowlStaff of VerityTapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    Don't think they're doing disks anymore. Instead they're using cartridges. At least I think they are. I could be wrong

East likes this.
  8. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    That's true, but not quite what I meant by the example. If anything, I mean the MK production team is taking nods from previous first party game by releasing an updated version of an old game, as they do all the time. Examples include Wind Waker HD, every Super Mario platformer after the original, etc. The title of the game doesn't necessarily matter, so long as the concept is updated yet familiar to a previous iteration.

What circle are you referring to? I rewatched the video but can't find what you're seeing :o

9. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    This game looks pretty promising at the moment! (Why not release MK9 is beyond me...)

I kinda see some elements from other previous Mario Karts as well. (Like battle stages, the 2nd item slot(?) from Double Dash, and they even brought the feather from the first game back!)

The price of the game will be the determining factor to whether or not I get this one. If it's too much, I'm just gonna go back to normal 8.

10. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    @[member="Kouhai"] If you look at your item circle (top right corner), there's a smaller one close to the top right screen. I'm thinking it could be another item box.

Whoops, meant top left. I can't think today, semester tests fried my brain.

11. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I am very interested, I havent played (for more than one race) a Mario Kart game since the Mario Kart Wii, I am so interested. I demoed the 3DS version, only for a race but had a lot of issues with control. I didn't like it at all but it was because of the change from controller and how it was no longer as tilt and control by movement of your hands. In end I am excited since it will contain all the DLC but also has a handheld controller like a wii remote to move, or so it looks. This would be a must have for me.

12. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    I'm almost certain all of the DLC characters from Mario Kart 8 are packed into this version right from the start, yes. It's called Deluxe for a reason! I'm actually really hyped for this now. I did want new courses most of all but if they plan on adding extra stuff to this later on then I'm totally satisfied. Mario Kart 8 is definitely still a very relevant and amazing game and hopefully with the capabilities of the Switch it'll feel even better. I'd love a new title but I can accept this for now. It hasn't been that long since 8 anyways so... I'm not too bothered. Bring it on.

OH. And King Boo is my favourite racer of all time so obviously I'm happy to be playing him, haha.

East likes this.
  13. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Here is a bit of footage I was able to find of the gameplay. I do enjoy the look of the game and it really seems to work like the old wii version which has me pretty much sold on the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q46K5FpUGUg

14. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    Yeah, that's sold the game to me, right there. I'm glad I re-checked this thread because I was still on the fence about getting it.

@[member="Achromatic"] it seems you're right about the DLC characters :)

Cadbberry likes this.
  15. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Was it the controls or the redone battle mode?

16. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    I'd say both had a role, but the battle mode moreso than controls. I hated the controls of MK7, and didn't buy MK8 because I worried about those controls getting transferred over. I guess I did okay by not purchasing MK8, since we'll now have MK8 Deluxe :)

17. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Yeah, i agree with you, the mario kart 7 controls were trash and MK8 scared me so I never played it but to see it return like this is awesome.

East likes this.
  18. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I'm a sucker for Mario Kart so chances are I'll be picking this up when I have the money for it.

19. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    I want new courses so bad. I'm still hoping they'll confirm some but I doubt it. :(

20. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    MORE DLC!

Which brings up my question again: why tweak an old game when you can release an entirely new one with new courses and characters and everything?

(can we please have Wii Rainbow Road return in stunning Switch graphics so I can sob over my childhood? Thanks)