1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Unpopular Opinions

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Skittle, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    Have you ever been talking to a group of people about Pokémon? Did you bring up an opinion that no one seemed to share and they dismissed it as 'unpopular'? Do you feel like your thoughts on a topic separate you from everyone else and that you're the only one that likes (insert Pokémon name here)?

Well, this is what this thread is for.

Feel free to complain about list those Pokémon opinions that you feel are unpopular. Maybe you liked an episode of the anime that is generally viewed as disliked. Perhaps you don't see why everyone is going crazy over that character. Maybe you love a Pokémon that is neglected by the community. Whatever it is, talk about it here! Just be mindful of spoilers for newer episodes of the anime and those who have not seen them yet.

Speaking of anime, I guess I'll start: the S/M anime is actually pretty good despite the style change. No, Ash has not been reset for the last time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    MCOury1998 likes this.
  2. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald is overrated and unfinished feeling. The graphical style is poor and the region isn't fun to explore.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Seprix and levelwhat like this.
  3. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    The original game is not the best they have to offer and the Pokémon were not all very unique like people claim. I kinda like gen 5's Pokémon, a lot of them are great but people always say it was the worst designs ever, gen 1 had an upside down Pokéball and multiple blob Pokémon, the ice cream Pokémon line was a little much but they aren't all that terrible like people say.

Also Hau was nice and all but he was so nice it became sick, I really don't like his character since it is all just smiles and happy happy times.

~Nova~, Arc1Dragon and DeathxVictory like this.
  4. DeathxVictory

DeathxVictory 空̛̜̝͎̪̥̣ͪ͢虚̩̩͕̫̜̠̲ͫͤ

PokéPoints:
    ₽76.8
    GS Ball ★★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Premier Ball ★
    I generally dislike the OST for sun and moon, besides a couple of clipets i had to turn off sound due to my distaste in the ost .... and this is odd because most of the games have decent music.

Cadbberry likes this.
  5. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I agree with this, some of the music is good but so much of it is so cliche or just not pleasing to my ears, especially the riding Pokémon music, that is one of my least favorite musics.

DeathxVictory likes this.
  6. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    -Hacking damages the integrity of Pokémon
    -Furfrou isn't terrible
    -Generation 1 was groundbreaking but at the same time a big clunky buggy mess, Gen 1 is messed up in a lot of ways and a little overrated yet still is a fun game
    -Gen 3 is meh (but remakes were not bad and vastly superior)
    -I don't like Chimchar line, don't like fire monkey

Good Lord, have you heard the E4 music for Sun and Moon? It's a fucking mess. I thought my 3DS speakers were breaking at a certain parts, it starts off fine and then turns into a bunch of shit that sounds like your speakers are broken. I'd rather listen to a dehumidifier n a leaky basement than the E4 music. So yeah I agree

7. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Lillie is overrated. I still love her, but I'm getting tired of seeing her all the time. Same goes with Guzma.

OR/AS was terrible compared to R/S/E. I grew up with 4th Gen, so this is not blind nostalgia speaking for me. OR/AS was extremely easy and boring compared to R/S/E, which didn't give you Mega Evolution by Gym 6 and A FREE LEGENDARY. Yet people say it was better?

I feel like G/S/C are underrated these days. Most praise either goes to Gen 1 or 7 now.

I feel like I'm the only one who remembers the existence of Diantha, Alder, and Wallace. Everybody just fangushes over Red/Blue, Cynthia, and Steven while these three are only remembered by shippers. (Especially Wallace...)

Gen 5 was amazing. I actually think the Vanillite line is creative in a way! Yet people give it flack for stupid reasons. Have they even seen the story for the games?

I think the story of B/W is better than S/M.

JadeFox, DeathxVictory and Arc1Dragon like this.
  8. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    I don't dislike it as such but I do think the soundtrack is fairly mediocre which is such a shame. :(

9. Writer4fun

PokéPoints:
    ₽62.4
    The following below applies to the official competitive scene only in my opinion. This whole topic means nothing to me if you want to play around with your friends.

Genning legal Pokémon is fine for competitive play and I wish people stop overreacting about it like it's the worst thing ever to happen to Pokémon. Nintendo can hack check all they want, but those who move on to day 2 of any VGC event have legitimate mons otherwise they would've been kicked out. As long I don't make my entire team shiny like some 7 year old and fill in the proper legal information with legal moves & stats, nobody would be able to tell the difference. However if that person: gens an illegal Pokémon like Flash Fire Scizor, put illegal moves on Pokémon, or puts 252+ in every stat, then that is a problem worth complaining about. Legal genning of a Skarmory does not give you an advantage in battle over a Skarmory that was bred with the same stats and raised accordingly. Period.

"But using third party devices is illegal in tournaments." Well, Nintendo can't prove if a Pokémon falling within legal parameters was hatched/bred, traded, or genned to the player so there's no way to enforce that rule if the genning was done well.

"But you have the advantage of time and can practice more." This is the best argument against genning, but time to practice is irrelevant when you should know what your Pokémon (or team) can and can't deal with before taking them to a formal competition. Also, damage calculators exist so you can already see what could potentially happen in any given scenario well before your egg hatches.

"It takes the skill out of getting the Pokémon you want." Breeding is pure RNG. I'd argue it takes more skill to make sure all your info is correct when you're genning.

"
    Hack-A-Shaq in basketball, intentional walk in baseball, parking the bus in soccer, running up the score. All of those things damage the integrity of their sports but they're legal at the end of the day.

"It's morally wrong." Legality trumps morality in competition when some kind of monetary prize or a chance at fame is on the line (money and/or scholarships in this case). Morality is just a cherry on top that some people take for granted. The exception here is that Nintendo can't prove if legal Pokémon are genned so they're forced to say that they're legal. Can you imagine the backlash they would face when they would have to explain why they kicked someone out of a tournament with legal Pokémon?

I think I covered what I usually hear so I'll end with this: I'd prefer people not gen, but there's not much I can do about it. I'm sorry to those against it, but you're fighting a losing battle and it's not looking like anything will change for awhile. I offer this advice because I'm not that heartless or unsympathetic: raise your team, go to VGC events, and win the team you bred & raised. Winning usually shuts people up really quickly and just because people have the tools to succeed, doesn't mean they'll know how to use them when the time comes.

Golden State Warriors last year: 73-9 regular season record. No championship. They almost had it, but they didn't win.

10. DeathxVictory

DeathxVictory 空̛̜̝͎̪̥̣ͪ͢虚̩̩͕̫̜̠̲ͫͤ

PokéPoints:
    ₽76.8
    GS Ball ★★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Premier Ball ★
    OH another thing i felt the idea behind the capsule balls was amazing. it was fun to toss out a Pokémon in a moonball and the added effects like the letters or confetti joins with the balls effect. I see less and less chances to get Kurts specialty pokeballs and frankly the chance to have more types of pokeballs along with the capsule balls to go with would be very fun.

Also would it be so hard to implement the digging and cave system and perhaps a contest system that was not abusing the 3ds cameras? it was fun to play the digging minigames and the underground forts are really fun... I spent HOURS digging in D/P/Pl and just to never see it again...

as for the contests couldnt they do something like add the musicals to contest and end it with like a battle that added points depending on how the move was effectively used in battle. it would make for a better understanding on how you coordinate your attacks in battle as well as see cosplay Pokémon besides Pikachu. idk about you but seeing a bow on your male gardevoir while you are coordinating your attacks seems kinda fun.

not sure how unpopular the above statement is, its more like a small gripe i have :sweat:

11. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I would like to see the anime use the games actual protags in place of Ash. C'mon, Brendan in Advance would have been awesome. But we gotta keep the Ash fangirls watching, right?

I think the fandom focuses on shipping too much for my taste. Now don't get me wrong, I love to ship. I literally write and draw for my ships. But how it seems the fandom needs to pair up every character until nobody is single kinda irritates me.

Gen 7's Pokémon roster was pretty disappointing. It was Gen 6 level size, and not to mention the Pokémon Channel revealed like 90% of the Pokémon before the games even released. There wasn't much for me to be surprised about, because there were only like 10 Pokémon that weren't revealed.

OR/AS Contests were absolutely boring and had no difficulty. Pokeblocks became insanely overpowered, and Cosplay Pikachu was a waste of a Pokémon. I can literally go do a Beauty contest against BOTH Lisia and Wallace and win by clicking 2 moves. But people say bringing back was amazing, and the system improved?

I actually hate Red and Blue. (the characters, not the games. The games were good.) If you want the definition of "overhyped", just look to those two. I feel as is they were only brought into S/M for fanservice/genwunner pandering.

whoops this just turned into me complaining a lot im sorry

12. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    @[member="WolfeyStar"] dang you have a lot of opinions.

Hey there's nothing wrong with being an Ash fangirl I'm not a 'fangirl' fangirl but still

I guess I'll drop a few more (most of them are anime but whatever):

- The English dub of Diamond and Pearl is better than the Japanese version.
    - Clemont in the anime was one of the best travelling companions yet (but Brock still remains at my top)
    - We need a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon anime, not an OVA spinoff
    - Incineroar has a good concept and personality
    - I do not want an episode in the Alola Saga where Serena returns
    - Steven was completely unneeded in the Team Flare arc, he had his time in the Mega Evo Specials and ORAS does not need a last minute marketing pitch 2 weeks before S/M releases/after the S/M releases
    - Continuing the MES, I do not like how you have to watch MES to understand the general anime. I didn't even like the MES!
    - Mega Evolution needs to be a main part of S/M, not a post game Meta thing.

13. Griefing_g0lem

Griefing_g0lem Three Minded

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    I feel that Gen 4 has always been the most underrated generation ever. I even forget which starters are from it at times.

14. Drew Blackstone

PokéPoints:
    ₽58.7
    -Gen 5 introduced some cool Pokémon and had a fantastic storyline.
    -Hacking (also known as cheating) gives you an unfair advantage not only with battles but with the GTS (notice how you can get almost anything for a shiny?), risks damaging the stability of your game, and all in all is not okay and needs to be stopped.
    -I loved Gen 4 (but that may be nostalgia talking, since Pearl was my first main series Pokémon game and I had a lot of good times with it).
    -Serena was a flat and uninteresting character defined by her crush on Ash.
    -Mega Evolution was, still is, and will always be awesome.

these are just my opinions, I don't care if you disagree but I don't have the energy for a flame war. I have a fanfic to procrastinate on write.

MCOury1998 likes this.
  15. Phazon

PokéPoints:
    ₽77.3
    - Mewtwo/Lucario/Greninja are overhyped as hell Pokémon
    - Anyone who thinks the Pokémon anime should be more edgy/dark needs to visit a brain surgeon.

Otherwise, I'm fine with the series.

16. Jhopthegamer

PokéPoints:
    ₽117.5
    When they switched the Birdseye view in X and Y, I took a hiatus from Pokémon. I dislike it because I really liked the Birdseye view because I felt like it fit better with the gameplay and I thought the characters looked weird in the new way.

17. Otter Mii-kun

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    I have several opinions regarding the franchise that are considered unpopular or others may find to be crazy. Among them are:
    • Sun and Moon broke more things than fixed them: Ooooh boy... SOS battles, deliberately re-implementing the 1/256 miss quirk that was in Generation I (and probably for no good reason whatsoever-c'mon, it's not like Sun and Moon are running on an Apple II or a 8088-based IBM PC compatible from the 1980s), excessive and long cutscenes that are NOT necessary at all to help players, among various others that I can't think of right away.
    • The anime went downhill after Misty left: That downhill slide actually started with the increase in 'filler' episodes during the Johto era, but the dealbreaker for me was when Misty left to return to the Cerulean Gym. I continued watching the early Hoenn episodes, but stopped entirely after that, since I wasn't all that impressed with May and Max, which leads to...
    • May is overrated: I get it that everybody likes May for some reason, but I thought that her character was kind of 'dry' and boring.
    • Ash's 'reset' for Unova was unnecessary: That really ruined whatever little sense of continuity there was to the anime, especially when Ash's Pikachu would be badly defeated by a new Trainer.

18. MCOury1998

MCOury1998 Negaishipper

PokéPoints:
    ₽66.5
    1) That XY/Kalos is sexist and misogynist...and the Gen. 6 stuff is terrible.

2) Negaishipping.

3) Misty/Pokeshipping.

4) Serena is a terrible character, and based in sexism and misogyny.

5) Best Wishes, Battle Frontier and Adventures in the Orange Islands anime series.

That's all I can think of...hope that's satisfactory! :)

19. Thechaosmaster

Thechaosmaster Keeper of Chaos

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽14.9
    Potion ★Poké Ball ★
    I kind of hate that your rival in Sinnoh was either Dawn or whatshisface, instead of Paul. Even though that Silver in G/S/C/HG/SS is based off of him, I kind of wished that Paul was the Rival in the D/P/Plt games, I just hope that the rwemake of those games we will get, not only Paul as a rival, but maybe Primal/mega legendaries, I mean FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, IN ONE OF THE MYSTERY DUNGEN GAMES WE HAVE PRIMAL DIALGA, SO WHY ISN'T THAT CANNON!? And by the way, tell me if you guy's think that Primal Regigigas should be cannon, I mean come on, there is no way that he could have pulled the continents the way he is now, and here is the key item in this idea, SLOW START! Tell me if you guys agree with me. #ShippersUnite:)
    My bad, put wrong text, what I meant was, Battle Frontier, but what I put up is what I think could be true. :)

20. ~Nova~

~Nova~ Birby Friend

PokéPoints:
    ₽284.5
    1) The Pokémon Anime (from what I've seen) is kinda bad (Ash in particular)
    - Not a super unpopular opnion, but still

2) Gen 5 was awesome

3) I also liked Gen 6

4) Raichu, and not just Alolan Raichu, is awesome

5) The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series has some of the best games

levelwhat and DeathxVictory like this.