1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Blog Me and my thought process with my art

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Weedle Enthusiast, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Weedle Enthusiast

Weedle Enthusiast Resident Weedle Enthusiast

Best Boi
    (Charjabug)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽57.8
    Crown of ValorDome Fossil ★★★
    Once again, I was in the status update section, typing out a message, and I then realized I was only partially done, and it was already too big. That is what this blog is for after all. This is a topic that has come up a few times in the past week, and I feel inspired to type it out and explore it more.

I have something that is somewhat rare (from what I've seen) among artists. I see my art for what it is, not for what it could be if I was better. I say this because, I have seen art that looks amazing, and the artist was convinced that it was bad. That is a really frequent site. When I see my art, I never see anything amazing. But if I think it looks bad, no one argues with my statement. If I think it looks good, people generally leave positive comments. That is regardless of whether I share my opinion before or after.

The other thing, is that even if I think my art bad, I am not bothered by it. It doesn't stop me from wanting to continue. I think something along the lines of, "That didn't come out like I hoped," and then move on. I mean, I think more about it than that, but that is mostly just looking at what I screwed up and thinking what I could have done different.

I am fairly certain I know where this came from. Starting about 8 years ago, when I first had art class, I saw that I was pretty bad. So whenever people would say they weren't very good at art, I'd joke around using a hyperbole or two to describe how bad I was. Over all these years, I still joke about me being terrible at art. Doing it for that long, I guess it kinda got stuck in my head. So whenever I create art, I don't expect it to be good. So when it turns out okay, it is a pleasant surprise. And when it turns out bad, I don't get frustrated. If you intentionally punched a brick wall, (you'd be silly to do that in the first place) it'd be kinda ridiculous to be frustrated that it hurt. It is that kind of logic.

I think this sums it up in less detail: I am not an artist, and I don't expect to be one. So even if my art doesn't turn out how I wanted it to, I'm not disappointed.

I still keep trying, and doing my best, so it isn't problematic to have this mindset. If I eventually reach a level that can truly be considered good, then I can continue being happy with my work. If I never reach that point, then there isn't an issue.

Unlike what usually happens, I didn't get a bunch of new thoughts as I typed this, but I still wanted to share this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...