1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Movies you like that everyone else hates

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nduns, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    Let's not kid ourselves, we all have them, films that are widely hated by the masses but for whatever reason, we like them. So, what are some examples? Here are some of mine.

Don Bluth's first 4 90's films, or as I like to call them, the big 4 of Don Bluth. Yeah, these are all poorly written Disney knock-offs, but I like each for a different reason. Rock-A-Doodle I find so bad it's actually hilarious. Thumbelina has those catchy songs to help distract me from the poorly-written story and unlikable characters. Troll in Central Park has nostalgia on its side and Pebble and Penguin is the only one of these that even came close to being actually good.

Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. Same reason as Rock-A-Doodle.

Quest for Camelot. Looking back, it does bother me how much they wasted every great concept introduced here, but hey, the concepts were great and interesting, plus the soundtrack save for a very disjointed villain song is very catchy.

The Magic Voyage. It starts off kind of interesting once you ignore the historical inaccuracies (And to be fair, I've never cared about that sort of thing in an animated film, so that was easy for me), but once it gets to the meat of the plot, Columbus becomes so unlikable it's actually pretty hilarious watching his antics. I also love the opening number and how everything is trying to stop Pico from singing it. Kind of a similar reason to RAD and GGROBAR.

Star Wars Episode 3. It took a long time, but I get why everyone hates the prequels, but I still enjoy Revenge of the Sith if only because it had the best action scenes out of all of them.

Rocky and Bullwinkle: The Movie and Speed Racer. Of all the ones I've listed here, these are the only ones I really don't feel deserve all the thrashing they get. If anything, both were closer to matching the original source material than any other live action cartoon adaptation. (Thank god the animated adaptations are doing a great job of this. Peabody and Sherman is great and The Peanuts Movie could easily be mistaken for one of the old films if it wasn't for the CGI. And I will forever defend Astro Boy to the death. 49% on RT my foot)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MCOury1998

MCOury1998 Negaishipper

PokéPoints:
    ₽66.5
    The Star Wars prequels.

[​IMG]

3. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer is a classic for the holidays in my family, I love that movie.

Suicide Squad, it was a messy movie but the intros at the start were interesting and I could watch them over and over.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    Fantastic 4 lol
    I loved it!

I also like the SW prequels too, they aren't that bad.

5. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    Hard to say because I don't watch a whole lot of movies these days but I guess Gummo would count. Something about it I like, I don't know, but the general reaction to it is that it's weird and gross and pointless. I mean they are not all that wrong..but I still like it. Didn't think I would but it was recommended to me once long ago and I did enjoy it. Felt real at times, probably due to the fact that most of the people in it were not even professional actors and were just random everyday people.

6. RarepairQueenJeanne

PokéPoints:
    ₽58.7
    I loved the Star Wars prequels and was surprised when I found out they were so hated :\ Maybe this'll get me killed on the internet, but I thought Jar-Jar was hilarious.

7. Griefing_g0lem

Griefing_g0lem Three Minded

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    For me, it would be Home Alone 3

8. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    I don't hate the star wars prequels but agree I'm not a fan of jar-jar. I think the series would be lacking without them, they add depth, so there's my unpopular opinion haha

I also rather don't mind Frozen, but I guess I am lucky to enjoy it in the context of no children because there are none in my family. It'd be hellish if it were only watched in the company of screaming kids haha but as it is I think it's quite pretty and a nice break from the tradition of marry the first prince you see/ don't marry at all in elsa's case. And visually very pretty, you've got to give them credit because ice can end up looking fake/bad in 3D so.

I also have to admit to watching the Ice Princess (aka some kind of princess diaries but with a nerdy iceskater instead, that I only have because came free with a dollar dvd pack) more than once, it's got some horrendously bad moments of cheesiness but it's still a concept of story I like and there's not likely to be a similar movie but better done so I go with it.

Oh and also that Cinderella Story with Selena Gomez in it, I realise there are hundreds of cinderella in a modern world movies but for some reason, I find her so cute haha they also have dance battles and I am all about those. If I had found that movie as a tween I'd have been crazy about it.

Darn, I guess I can also probably add any major dance movie to that list too :P Gotta love Moose!! :'D

9. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    I don't care what mob mentality says. Frozen is still one of my favorite Disney films of all time. Yes, I am starting to see the issues people have with it (And hearing Idina Menzel actually struggle to summarize the film in an interview was painful), but I still love it and think it is a genuinely great film. It's a similar case with The Princess and the Frog. The more I watched it, the more problems I saw with it (Most notably how preachy it is and how the lack of subtlety reminds me of a kid on the playground waving his arms around and trying to get everyone to notice his accomplishments) but every time I see it, I still highly enjoy it.