1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Foreign animated films deserve more attention

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nduns, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    About a couple of years ago, I watched a French/Spanish animated film called Nocturna. To put it short, this movie is beautiful and has a wonderful, charming premise to it. And it got me wondering why movies like these aren't more well-known, films like Daisy: A Hen Into the Wild, Sita Sings the Blues (Okay, this one's getting more recognition), The King and the Mockingbird and so many other great animated films that are simply breath-taking and let you soak in atmosphere while also telling great stories. It just seems like unless a foreign film is nominated for an award or comes from Japan, the odds of finding anyone who knows about the film is over 1000000/1 (And sometimes, the world forgets about the nominated ones as quickly as they find out about them), and it's a shame because there are so many out there that I think really deserve more attention. Some foreign animated films like A Monster in Paris, The Illusionist (the 2011 film), Song of the Sea and Secret of Kells at least have a decent following, but bring up works like Jack and the Cuckoo Clock Heart or Mia and the Migoo and you're likely to get weird looks. I've come across people who assume I'm making these films up. Yeah, that actually happens. I'll say this: if you're a fan of animation, or heck, if you're not into animation but you like films with atmosphere, I recommend seriously looking into some of these. I love a lot of the films that get worldwide releases, but it's amazing what other countries are able to pump out. And while I've warmed up to CGI over the years, it is nice to see that other countries haven't completely given up on hand-drawn animation. (And thanks to Boy and the World, Brazil can no longer be viewed as nothing more than an everlasting source of horrible mockbusters)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I mean Little Prince has gotten more attention recently but it, so I hear, it a beautiful movie that is a must-see of 2016. I suggest checking it out, I plan to one day soon, if I am able to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    That was my favorite movie of the year.

4. Jhopthegamer

PokéPoints:
    ₽117.5
    Well it's probably like this:

Foreign films are usually based in their country of origin and get minor to mediocre success in the US. Now with animation it's very similar because they would have to compete with companies like Disney, DreamWorks, and other people. Plus I don't think that the average working class American wants to see anything from outside their country of origin because they think that there's only Disney. It would also take time and money to make an English dub if it was made for a different language. But a big whopper is marketing. Usually the companies that make these films don't have much money because nobody ever watches their things. I mean let's be honest, you're the CEO of ABC and you're given the option of showing a trailer for Moana or something foreign. Disney's gonna pay a lot more for that slot. One more thing. Theatres don't want to show foreign films because they wouldn't be successful because when someone says animation, everybody imagines kids kids kids! (Except you sausage party) Now if it's an indie film and has a deeper meaning or whatever, kids won't get that and they'll want to leave. To be short, the film industry is built on how successful a film is and what people find interesting. People won't find a foreign animated film that is supposed to mean something deep interesting because parents will usually want to show animated films to their kids. If your kid is given the option of seeing Sing or The King, they'll wanna see Sing.

But hey that's just my opinion. A persons opinion! Thanks for reading...

(I made a MattPat reference for those of you who don't watch any YouTube)

5. Dusty

Dusty Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.1
    Well, what's foreign or not depends on where you are. For much of the world, Disney is foreign animation. There's decent enough animation from all over the world though.

6. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    I've got to admit I find the available films in my area are quite narrow, and even if something slightly on the fringe of either "major action blockbuster death death explosion" or "sickly sweet cgi for kids" comes out, I often find that it's been omitted from any of the cinemas near me despite being listed on the site. I live in a pretty out of the way place so maybe that's why, but I feel the bias of average viewers pretty strongly and it's frustrating, because I outright don't want to watch violence and gore and only like some not all of the kids stuff. Something in the middle with the atmosphere and a different approach via 2D as you describe would be much appreciated.