1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Question to fanfiction writers

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by POKE, Feb 6, 2017.

1. POKE

POKE Ace Trainer

Johnny Waffles
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.3
    Premier Ball ★
    I was wondering fellow FF writers, when did you start writing FF?, did you enjoy it at first or was it a thing you eventually enjoyed?

Have you ever felt like your readers are really not interested in your FF at all anymore until now and how did or do you deal with the problem that plagues the FF writer community, "The readers problem with not sharing their feelings of the story on how they don't review"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I started writing Pokémon fanfiction a few years back. My first fanfic was after my playthrough of Alpha Sapphire sometime in November of 2015, where I wrote a fic revolving around that journey with some darker plot twists here and there. The universe it is set in is still one of my biggest projects to this day with over 350k+ words collected between the original, ongoing sequel, one shots, and full-fledged marching band AU fic. If writing 350k+ words doesn't say anything about how much I enjoy writing, then I don't know what does.

As of now, I'm working on another project that is on ff.net. Until you get more reviews, follows, and faves, it does feel like sometimes people don't notice your fic. If no one is reviewing, then I would kindly encourage people to review (like putting in an authors notes that reviews are greatly encouraged).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    I started last November with Pokémon: A New World. I started because I accidentally let the idea of a Pokémon fanfic into my head... I'm the kind of person who lets a story simmer in his head, eventually either forgetting it, or watching it bloom. I honestly hated the idea of fanfiction up until now. I always saw it as inferior to those who can come up with original stories. I even let my OC steal another one of my MC's name. I really didn't care about it all that much. Then one day, I just decided to write it and here I am. I have what I felt was inferior and hated stamped onto me. I'm not a fanfic writer. I'm writing a fanfic. But, this experience has taught me to respect the fanfiction community as a whole. And, if I hadn't tried to write that story... then I wouldn't have found this wonderful little lake! So, I don't regret having committed to a fanfic. Still don't read them though...

In terms of reviews, I do like to get them. Hell, I even felt sad when a viewer stopped leaving them. But, just because I don't get feedback twenty four seven, that doesn't mean that I'll just give up and sulk in my failure. I'll keep writing because as long as there is one reader, I will see them to the end of the emotion roller coasters that I write! I wear my title of Edgelord Writer with pride, after all~

4. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I started in Middle school, sixth grade, and stopped in 8th, I have always wanted to pick it back up though I am nervous since my fictions were never enjoyed. I wrote it for my friends, they liked it but the online world did not enjoy it too much. I focused mostly on including my friends but didn't include other people making my audience so limited. My tip, make sure you keep the inside jokes to your friends and not in a story for everyone.

5. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    I started writing fanfiction about 2 years ago. Pokémon was a harder one for me. So I avoided it for a but but finally decided to test the waters and try it. So far I have received negative comments on it due to me not talking about certain things because I'm going with what I know.

6. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    I started writing fanfiction when I was about 12ish, so going on seven years. I got into it because I didn't have a system for Pokémon and because i did like the anime. I like fanfiction, bothing reading and writing, I think it's a good first step for beginning writers. I don't really think flames are a problem much, mostly because I never really got a lot. But the hardest part is when no one reviews. It's discouraging to me because it doesn't seem to appear that anyone cares about what you're writing. One of my novels, a pkmn b/w au, is a longterm project that right now is only going forward because I want to see it finished.

[​IMG]

Dusty likes this.
  7. ~Nova~

~Nova~ Birby Friend

PokéPoints:
    ₽284.5
    I started writing fanfiction when I was 10, actually. Before I even knew what fanfiction was. I wrote a story based around PokePark for an English assignment. I somehow managed to get a good grade on it, though.
    That was only when I started writing it, actually. Before then, I actually played pretend a lot with my grandma, but we never played house or whatever. I remembered I had a Lion King phase when I was really little, and I forced her to play that with me a lot. When I got a little older, I attempted to explain enough Pokémon to her so she could understand enough to play with me. I would make up stories and events, so I guess that's like kinda fanfiction without the writing.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed writing fanfics. I have tons of old notebooks filled with unfinished stories from Pokémon and a few other fandoms. When I first got onto Fanfiction (the site), my first story was flamed, and that kept me from posting any online for about two years (I was young and really sensitive, alright?). Then I dug up my old account, deleted the one story, changed my name, and started all over. I still am a bit sensitive when it comes to constructive criticism, honestly, but I always know it's in the best intention.
    As for reviews, I really do like getting them, and I do get a little upset when I don't get them. I understand sometimes people can be busy, or just don't know what exactly to say. Sometimes, getting favorites and follows on my stories is good enough for me.

Sorry for the long post, it's just that I just now realized how long I've been writing fanfiction...

8. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    *I'm not a fan fiction writer but I would say, I'm one of those people who never reviews a story if I do read one, mostly because I don't want to offend the writer, seeing as I'm not a writer of fiction, and I know that as an artist, it can sometimes feel bothersome to get unsolicited feedback especially from someone who isn't a practicing artist themselves. Just a thought as to why that happens maybe.

9. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    I've written fanfiction for years and years . . . getting it down on paper is another matter. I almost unconsciously make up OCs while reading or watching, and a lot of my ideas for novels have come from these characters. I only recently started actually writing fanfiction, though. So far I'm not doing so well-- I kind of hate what I'm writing but I'm also unsure if I can really do anything better. (It's a love-hate relationship. There's the side that's so happy I finally finished writing a chapter and just wants to skim through it and post, and the more critical side that thinks the whole thing's crap and I should listen to more often. The problem is, I get so proud of myself for finishing something I don't have the heart to rewrite it, which I really should.)
    Readers not caring about my fanfiction's definitely part of that problem. The first fanfic I ever posted had a ton of views but no reviews. My most recent one only has two. It's pretty disheartening because I really want to see that the readers care about my work. It's nice to see people advancing to the next chapter, but for the ones who don't, they could at least tell me why. I love constructive criticism and while I may not accept all of it, it's a wonderful feeling to just see that someone cares enough to point out what I could improve.

10. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Soooo I've been in the fanfiction business for... a few months. Yep, and I LOVE IT. It's fun being able to come up with ideas and then share them with the internet (granted there are a few oddballs). I'm actually pretty close to wrapping up my first Pokémon fanfic, with my second one underway. But I love it; it's a good thing for me to do :)

11. DecemberWildfire

PokéPoints:
    ₽84.0
    It was kind of spontaneous for me lol. I had gotten into fanfiction a few years ago when I started reading Contestshipping fics, but doubted my own abilities to write my own. But at one point during my second year of college, I had gotten strep throat and was basically quarantined in my room for a week. I was a huge extrovert at the time and so loneliness was killing me lol. And so somehow, out of boredom, I decided to just go for it and write a fanfic. That first story was... well, rough, to say the least haha. But I had so much fun with it and wrote a second one like a week or two later, and from then on have continued writing for a few different fandoms. I definitely feel that my writing has improved with all that practice, and it didn't take long for it to become a passionate hobby.

I've never really had a steady group of followers or anything, with the exception of a few individuals here and there. On one hand it's kind of a bummer, but on the other, I don't really mind too much (and I also understand that I've always been a bit "late to the party" with the characters and fandoms I choose). I have fun writing and I'm thankful for the feedback that I do get. Most of my fics are spiritual/Christian-themed (and I have my reasons for that), and so even if I can reach one soul now and then and uplift them and glorify God, that makes it 100% worth it. :)

(Didn't mean to get preachy, but there's really no other way to talk about what I do!)

12. levelwhat

levelwhat Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽16.1
    Probably like everyone else, I was reading fics before writing one. Then somewhere along the way I could never find exactly what I wanted, so I went, "hey, if I can't find exactly what I imagine, why don't I just write it out myself?"

Writing the first few chapters of my first story was gruelling, and occasionally it still is. Getting stuck, growing tired of what's happening, life getting in the way, all that crap. But it really is something that becomes easier the more consistent I became. To me, quantity is more important than quality. That the quality will come with experience.

I've heard horror stories before about authors that'll quit after a review that demolishes their spirit to continue. But what's even worse than that is no reviews at all, where the writer doesn't even know whether or not they're screwing up!

In my opinion, there's always a reason to truck on. I start a story, and intend to follow through with it. Listen to the critics, but recgonize when they're wrong. Chances are, there is someone out there looking for a story like mine or yours and are dying to read it!

13. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
  14. Writer4fun

PokéPoints:
    ₽62.4
    July 10, 2015 was when I posted chapter 1 of my saga/novel/long crazy adventure. I had a nagging dream of the first 5 chapters weeks before then so I put them on paper. I intended to stop it there, but I don't know what kept me going. Maybe the slogan "go big or go home" had to do something with it. I enjoy it, but I'll probably lose favorites or followers with my next chapter because not every story gets a perfect, 100% happy ending. I'm expecting a lot of negative reviews but it's what I want. Also, I kinda want to teach a lesson for those who stay with the story until the very end. Right now it's about 90% done. I have 3 other completed stories that are much shorter so they're a quick read.

Reviews are hard to come by if your story is between decent and above average in my mind. It's so easy to tell a writer that their story (either the whole thing or just one decision that a character makes) is trash whether or not if that's true. Unless you blow someone back with your story, people will be content just to read. On the other hand, if you do a popular shipping of any rating or M rated story with lemons, you'll get some reviews. However, numbers can be misleading. So many reviews can be "plz update moar!" or "another good chapter!" They're simple and don't offer much to the writer. I prefer quality reviews over quantity. The key for me was to understand that a review would be rare so I'd cherish them whenever I got them, good or bad.

I've written a 63+ chapter story and the gravy train isn't stopping for anyone baby! After I'm done with it, I have another -darker- adventure planned. It won't be as long, but I love the challenge of writing a mature story. Not a PWP story though; I can't write lemons for the sake of writing lemons/for fun.

My issue is that I can only start writing when I have 100% knowledge of what is going to happen in my stories from start to finish. The good news is that I will lave no story incomplete.

15. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Alright, so I started writing fanfic around the Summer of 2016 because I signed up for a Love Live Big Bang exchange. (In case you didn't know, a Big Bang is an event in which writers and artists work together on the same project, writing a fic and then doing art based on it or vise versa.) And it was fun! So I decided to write another fanfic, and found that fun! So that's when I started writing fanfiction.

However, even before this Big Bang happened, I've always wanted to start writing fanfics again after three years of not writing. I've always idolized my sister's works, so she somewhat inspired me to take the leap back into fanfiction.

Skittle likes this.
  16. Cilan

Cilan Sailor

PokéPoints:
    ₽128.9
    I've been writing fanfiction since I was 16? And I've been writing "The Black Bullets" for the past 6 years now.

When I started out, I got a LOT of feedback since I was new to writing. But now, it's extremely difficult to get people to comment on my work. Which is odd because my stories get WAY more views than my artwork.

17. Jhopthegamer

PokéPoints:
    ₽117.5
    I stared a couple years ago with Harry Potter and other stuff and I didn't release it and I only showed it to friends and family. I got my fanfiction.net account a little over a year ago and I did Star Wars fanfiction a lot. It was okay and it didnt get a lot of likes, but then I started writing my new Pokémon fanfiction Pokémon Real. I've gotten a few positive reviews and a few follows on it. Now if nobody comments or likes it, just keep writing. You could have a breakthrough and it could become amazing.

18. NinjaLayor

NinjaLayor Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽14.7
    In my case, it was shortly after beginning roleplaying on Pokémon Showdown, before the room for roleplaying really kicked off. I had a character who's actions always hinted at greater things from his past and behind the scenes. After several questions from other users, I decided to write a short story that answered the most frequent question: why the heck is this Lucario half machine? That short led to the incomplete story of two of my characters' shared histories, and a potential future for another. After that, if there's ever a series of events implied to happen behind the scenes that I feel would make a decent story, I give it some thought, and time, if I have it.

19. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Since the dawn of my existence, I have always constructed stories, ideas and played them out like an action hero. After introversion set in, my stories were set to my minds eye. I made countless stories, spending my time in class, rather than learning, day dreaming about what would go on in these universes I created. One day, about two years ago, I was bored one night and high on fan-fic-fever (That's too many fan fictions all at once) I decided to write down the stories I had in my head. Originally, it was fun because I had already invited the worlds and story lines for my works and all I had to do was say it in words. However, I have a reading disability. I felt happy because to my minds eye, I was making a thoughtful, beautiful epic story and romance when in reality what was on the page resembled something like khvih beijn sgjuhgfmdit hlibnvc n iwume. Since that horrid abomination of 78,000 words was constructed, I have improved dramatically with my English and writing abilities. I also have tons of story ideas that I want to write but because Calculus/Physics kinda takes time, I have been unable to start them. So far I only have this one Pokémon fic that I am working on.

As for the question that plagues the community, I will just continue to write my story no matter what people say or don't say. In the end, this story is more me sharing the ideas that come to my mind, not looking for approval. I will change how I write if someone tells me they don't like it because of blank. I wish to improve my work and if someone tells me I should do something different, I will listen and try to accommodate. In the end, I do like writing, because for me, it is putting my ideas down.

#19 Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  20. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith Animation Writer

PokéPoints:
    ₽391.1
    I started back in 2009 with a story called Lucario & the 10 Ordeals. During the two years it was active, managed to get halfway through the story. I had regular feedback and people genuinely interested and enjoying the story. What was unique about the story is despite the fact it's a Pokémon fanfiction, it's hardly related to Pokémon. It had its own plot, its own direction, and it could have been its own thing if a few of the characters weren't Pokémon.

Sadly I never finished it. It was fun while it lasted but as much as I loved writing back then, I can't say the same thing today. When I open a document to start typing, none of the ideas I had make it onto paper. I almost can't bring myself to write another story. Where did the fun go? Where did the joy and excitement of expressing what's on my mind through stories go? Where did all that time go? To waste it seems because I could have done so much more with it...when the enthusiasm was alive.

I began the story when I was 16 and now I'm in my mid-20s. I've gone from hobby to hobby and career to career and to this day, I've yet to find anything as fulfilling as the years I spent writing 10 Ordeals.