1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pokemon Typing Explanations

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Griefing_g0lem, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Griefing_g0lem

Griefing_g0lem Three Minded

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    Many Pokémon have typings that don't have the most obvious explanations. If there are any Pokémon that have typings that don't make sense, post it here and let's try to explain it out.

Let's start with and easy one that many people like to joke about. Charizard not being a Dragon typing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Crown of ValorPhilosopher's CowlStaff of VerityTapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    Why are Goomy, Sliggoo, and Goodra Dragon types? They are literally just goo and slime

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Charizard is the original dragon image of Pokémon. And yet it has to be Fire/Flying... well at least they made it Fire/Dragon in its Mega X Form...

Yeah? Why can't they be Poison or something? Like Grimer and Muk was...

4. Griefing_g0lem

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    Okay then. From what I can interpret, they had to do something for Charizard, with people saying it not being a Flying type also for have such giant wings. They could have possible made it a Fire/Dragon type if Pokémon abilities existed back then, and just to give it levitate. Also, it would be overpowered to give you one of the rarest and strongest Pokémon typings as a Starter, which would make the other two obsolete.

For the Goomy line, it may be this way for it is likely based off a Sea Slug commonly refereed to as the "Blue Dragon Sea Slug".

5. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Why is Scizor a steel type?

Also why isn't Lugia a Psychic type, instead it is water, why?

6. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Crown of ValorPhilosopher's CowlStaff of VerityTapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    I think you mean why isn't it a water type.

It's not a water type because it just hides in the water because even a light flap of its wings can destroy a house.

7. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I think I was thinking about the card game, it is often a water type in the card game. Silly me

8. Griefing_g0lem

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    For Scizor, it may be the reason of it evolving with the Metal Coat, and since it is based off of scissors.

9. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I never understood Gyarados's water/flying typing. I suppose the 'flying' part could be a metaphor for a carp swimming up waterfalls to become a dragon, but I think that might be a bit of a stretch.