1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Do you prefer writing fanfiction or original works?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Sheep, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    [​IMG]

We all have our preferences! What do you like to write more? Do you enjoy writing within an existing setting, or is your preference to create your own unique world and characters? :) Additionally, what do you like to read more?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    Original. I've brainstormed way too many. Not only that, but I've mentioned my prejudice against fanfics before. Simply, I've always, and probably always will, see original stories as superior, even though I hold nothing against fanfic writers.This is because I enjoy an original world and characters, with real developments in that world. I'm only writing my fanfic because I foolishly let the idea into my head, eventually deciding to write it. So, I guess you could say, I hate my own fanfic. There's my preference, remember that no one is WRITE in this topic~

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    For now, I prefer to write fanfiction. There are already many elements that the uncreative (aka me) can use. It really is the savior of people who can't think of original stuff for anything (aka still me).

I prefer to read both... a story's a story, no matter if it borrows from source material or not.

Crest likes this.
  4. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I like to play off the same universe as shows so technically fan fiction but I use my own characters as much as possible. I do like using OCs not linked to a universe in RP though, I find them more fun to play so I like original concepts a lot as well.

5. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    For those who are aware of me and my methods, you'll know the answer basically already, but there's a bit of detail behind it that I feel I should elaborate on. My views on the matter are very black-and-white, more so than other stances I hold.

Whenever I do decide to write at all (which is more uncommon now than it was earlier in life), I will only write original works. I will not write fan fiction at all, in any capacity. My reason for this is fairly straightforward: I believe a good story should be able to function on its own, as its own unit, without relying on preconceptions or prior knowledge brought to the table. With fan fiction, you must rely on prior knowledge of characters or another fictional universe beforehand, as an intrinsic flaw of the genre itself. That isn't bad if you're aware of what they're talking about when you go into it, but at the same time, you only cater to a specific audience, and alienate anyone else who would want to read your work, no matter how well-written it may be. Another part of that is that I don't feel a writer should rely on any pre-existing character within a fictional universe, since it stymies creativity - however, fan fiction writers can mitigate this issue by keeping the same universe but introducing entirely new characters.

For consistency, I apply this both ways. Just as I'll only write original works, I will also only read original works as well. If a work is fan fiction, I simply will not read it no matter what; it requires me to know prior knowledge and preconceptions of the characters and universe before I even begin reading, and that alienates me automatically (because I won't have that), so I simply stop and must move somewhere else if I want to read any fictional work. It's fine if you're dealing with multiple parts of a series of books, because you're building off the same universe each time, and so some context for sequels is expected - but not for any sort of stand-alone. Not only do I not feel attached to any pre-existing characters or universes made, it resonates better if the characters you create and present are entirely your own - because then I can best see your creative power at work.

6. ~Nova~

~Nova~ Birby Friend

PokéPoints:
    ₽284.5
    I write fanfiction a lot more, but I'm starting to write more original stories. I started off as an aspiring 9-year-old, writing about cats and pugs of my own creation. Then, I got ideas for Pokémon.

I've created plenty of OCs, some based on fandoms, some relating to those OCs, but not their fandom (For example, King Benson Sugars, my ridiculous 'villain' for my Raichu Gijinka, Rai).

So, yeah, I write both, but I tend to write more fanfics.

7. Kuroshi Heki

PokéPoints:
    ₽193.3
    I prefer writing original works as well as reading original works. I just feel like if I were to write a fanfiction it wouldn't feel like mine or like I would have much free reign of it as I would when I write original stories. It can be more difficult to start entirely from scratch but it's more fun to me. I have a ton of original characters I haven't used yet in my story and my own story isn't that far.

8. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I write only strictly fanfiction. I just feel like fanfiction is a better and easier way to meet new writers and get them into your work. Readers will know what a Pokémon is but not original creatures/characters/places.

I do eventually want to write original as I have this idea that I've been thinking about for 2 years, but I feel like my writing style and skill aren't quite ready for the huge project.

9. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    For reading, that's simple, I'll read anything as long as it is well written (That automatically removes most fanfictions). Writing is a little more complicated.

I prefer to write fanfictions and for a simple reason. I find it hard to visualize anything when I am working on an original piece. If I work on something that has a face and pre-designed world, I can visualize and write for ages on it. I have two brilliant ideas for long adventure epics featuring a wide range of characters however I am writing a fanfic it because I can't see those stories as well as I can the fanfic. It's not fun to write something I can't see. That's why I like writing fanfictions.

10. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I prefer to write fanfictions as I am capable of changing the things that irritate me and give it a twist of my own. No silly sappy stories, but actual danger and people that are stupid get punished for it.

11. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Crown of ValorPhilosopher's CowlStaff of VerityTapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    I only write Fanfictions. I've had ideas of writing an original story but they don't get turned into stories.

12. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Fan Fictions, I like alternate plot lines on popular stories while still keeping true to core elements.

13. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I like doing fanfiction, since I can mix up stuff and people still understand the theme (i.e. Pokémon). I've done a few originals, but I never got them out to the public...

14. murloc_rampage

PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    I prefer to write dark realistic fanfictions that i create the characters and personalities for. I don't know what is forbidden in story writing here and i don't know how to upload one her for a test on how you guys like it. if anyone is interested i do write on fanfiction. i can be messaged on there as well. my name is murloc_rampage on that site as well.

15. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I prefer to write original works as it's so fun to come up with new worlds and characters. On the other hand, I find fanfiction a lot easier to write and publish...

16. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I've always preferred working with my own characters in my own universe but I'm tempted to have like, a Pokémon AU for my OCs.
    I've been playing around with a storyline the past few days. Who knows.

17. Pokémist

Pokémist Trashcan

smol heart
    (Luvdisc)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,860.3
    Tapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Well, I had always written stories in existing world with characters that are already made. In case I need something unique, i just write fictions by adding oc into it. I probably am too lazy to create my own characters and world :P

18. Vanillite

Vanillite Cat Lady

PokéPoints:
    ₽139.4
    Whilst I love writing as canon characters, I think I prefer to write original works. There's much more wiggle-room! When writing fanfiction, you have to 'master' the personalities, mannerisms, etc., of multiple characters that have canon, or 'set' characteristics. With original works, you have your original characters, which you created yourself, meaning you have decided how each character shall be, making it much easier to master! Or so I think.

19. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I like both, but I'd have to say writing and reading fanfiction because I can put my own twist (usually dark) on the world. Angsy-gothy romance for the win!
    #MissingNo

20. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    I'm more preferential to reading and writing fanfictions. Basically, because they already have places set for you and things for you to keep in line. With your own, if you're too creative and go overboard your plot can get lost in characters which is not a good thing since Setting can also describe the characters well too