1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Spinoffs Favorite Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Game

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by ChaoticLupa, Feb 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ChaoticLupa

Shadow
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽90.7
    The only mystery dungeon game that made me cry was gates to infinity, the best story was Pokémon super mystery dungeon, and my favorite would be explorers of sky, what starter did everyone choose, and what was the hardest part in your favorite mystery dungeon game? Also does everyone remember those little shops you would find in dungeons, do not steal from them or you will literally get destroyed LOL

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    Sky, easily. It had my favorite story and cast. I feel that the game was basically perfect in nearly every way. Good times~

Also Kecleon was a chump when I was done with him~ ....After a few reviver seeds.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ~Nova~

~Nova~ Birby Friend

PokéPoints:
    ₽284.5
    Alright, so I cried the most in Gates to Infinity, because that was my first PMD game, but I personally think that Super Mystery Dungeon is my favorite, because of its story and the partner's personality, and that you actually go to school and all that.

Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky isn't my favorite for one reason; the partner. I'm not saying those games are bad, they're amazing. I felt the partner character was pretty bland. Everyone else was flipping amazing, and the bonus episodes in Sky were the best, but I just couldn't connect with the partner, and since the partner has such a big role in the game, it kind of made the experience not as great to me. I could just be overlooking it everything else just because of one small issue I had, so yeah.
    Also, Celebi was annoying to me.
    But don't hate me, because I love pretty much everything else about the game.

Anyway, for EoS, I'm still stuck on that one post-game dungeon that I'm too lazy to go find the name of. I hated the final dungeon in GtI, and I don't remember the hardest part in PSMD

My teams for those three games were:
    EoS: Totodile and Vulpix
    GtI: Pikachu and Oshawott
    PSMD: Charmander and Oshawott (I love dem 'wotts)

4. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I have to give it to Darkness, it really was so touching and well thought out. I loved the main missions, I always felt good about my team and I liked being able to really mix up the people. The guild was adorable and had me going back over and over again. Every character felt like it had a place unlike in the newer game which always touched me knowing I bonded with the town as a Pokémon and they accepted what I was.

5. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Crown of ValorPhilosopher's CowlStaff of VerityTapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time. I may be biased on this since it's the only MD game I've played. The story was great, the characters were memorable, and for me

I

Still

Can't

Beat

Darkrai

6. ShockingPsychicTyphoon

PokéPoints:
    ₽16.2
    Poké Ball ★
    I usually go by this rule: Does the ending make me cry?

Every game besides Gates to Infinity did, but the one that made me burst into tears the most was Sky. I was so depressed for a week ):

Hikari likes this.
  7. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Blue Resue Team. Dear god, I cried my eyes out at the ending of that one. The chase, the adrenaline, the sheer amount of fear and pain I felt when I was chased out of the Town that had grown on me and I felt so connected to. I was an Eevee with a Squirtle Partner. Oh the memories *Walks away on memory lane*

DecemberWildfire likes this.
  8. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    Mine is Explorers of Sky by far. The game has the best balance of everything that makes a Mystery Dungeon good. I also have a lot of nostalgic attachment to it.

9. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Ah, yes. My favorite spin-off series. I've been playing them ever since the Red and Blue Rescue Team games. I first played it after reading a manga series from Nintendo Power magazine about a Torchic named Genji and their partner Mudkip (Absol was in it too, which made the game a must-buy on my list). I got Totodile, and picked Charmander as my partner. And as for the Kecleon shops, I did try to add a Kecleon to my team by doing that. ...I never did get one though, no matter how many of the suckers I beat... I was just that unlucky.

Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky was my favorite though by far. The story gave me so many feels... In Time/Darkness, I got Piplup and had a Chimchar partner. In Sky, I got Vulpix and had a Shinx as my partner (like most people).

Gates to Infinity was... okay, in my opinion. Still had an epic story and everything, but there wasn't as many Pokémon in it as the last game. I chose to be an Oshawott and picked Tepig as my partner.

Super Mystery Dungeon definitely had a whole lot more Pokémon, and the story was just as amazing as the previous entries (And don't get me started on that twist ending). I was so happy with it, I decided to play as a Totodile again, with a Charmander partner, like the good ol' days. The difficulty spike was quite steep though (Fighting a lv. 50 Salamence this early in the game? Really?)

Good times were had, and many good tears were shed.

10. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I've only played Explorers and Super Mystery Dungeon, but I really want to find copies of Red/Blue and GtI. I know that almost everybody has said this, but so far my favourite so far has to be Explorers. Part of it may be nostalgia, but I feel a deeper connection to the characters of Explorers. Also, you're not stuck in the tutorial town for half the game so there's more time to get to know the Guild and other important characters. All the same, Super Mystery Dungeon was a lot of fun and I loved the twist ending. The postgame story was a little short, but satisfying nonetheless.

11. DecemberWildfire

PokéPoints:
    ₽84.0
    Man... Mystery Dungeon is near and dear to my heart.

I've actually never played Explorers or GTI, though I want to someday. My favorite Pokémon game of all time will probably always be Blue Rescue Team, because it's just so dang nostalgic. I grew up with it and didn't stop playing it for the longest time. The storyline was feels-inducing, the music was beautiful, you get a ton of post-game missions and some extra story... I just love it. And I'll always be biased because of the nostalgia.

But I tell ya... Super Mystery Dungeon destroyed me emotionally lol. SO GOOD. It's probably the best storyline I've ever played in a game. It was super intriguing, had several plot twists that legitimately shocked me, and I became way more emotionally attached to some of the characters than I ever imagined could happen (don't even get me started on Leaf Dad). I didn't have too many expectations for that game, but it definitely impressed me to say the least.

Well, except for that insanely short post-game story. That was just downright disappointing.

I was a Mudkip on Rescue Team with a Charmander partner, and on PSMD I was Chikorita with Totodile as my partner. And lol @ the Kecleon shops. I got to the point on BRT where my Swampert was strong enough that I could steal from them and took them down like it was no big deal haha. The hardest part? Well even to this day there are some dungeons I haven't beaten, like Wish Cave where you have to start at level 1 and beat 99 floors. SO INSANE.

12. Kiyase

Kiyase Sailor

Etain
    (Growlithe)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽15.7
    Poké Ball ★Amulet Coin ★★★
    Explorers of Sky was my first mystery dungeon game, and my favorite as well. I just loved the story so much and the ending was so sad! The post game was really cool to me too.

On EoS, my team was a Cyndaquil and Totodile for my partner, GtI I had a Tepig and Oshawott, and on PSMD, I had a Charmander and Chespin.

13. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Explorers of Sky. I loved the story of Explorers of time and Sky just added that much more to a game that I already loved. I just loved how well they made the main story then the post game is what threw it to the top of my list.

I still haven't beaten the post game yet on Skies. I managed to beat it on Time because I gave up and used cheats but before I won I LOST 7 TIMES! WHAT! I used infinite health cheats and still lost 7 times! The most frustrating moment in my entire life.

14. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Poké Ball ★Dawn Stone ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Mine was Time/Darkness/Sky. I've seen others argue that the partner is bland, but I don't think so. The partner is a timid person with a passion for the mysterious, but she/he can't get his/her courage up. Interacting with the partner over time shows how he/she changes from cowardly to courageous. We help them grow and mature. That's why I love the partner. And the story is phenomenal.

I was disappointed by Gates. The story was rushed near the end, the characters weren't memorable, the experiences were limited. It introduced a lot of great new mechanics, but I was otherwise disappointed.

I never played red/blue rescue team, nor have I played Super, though I hear both are really good. Next on my list is red/blue

15. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Oh god, all the Red Rescue Team memories are coming back to me! I love PMD as a series, and I have to say Red Rescue Team is my favorite, mainly because that is the only one I have played this far. But the story is just so addicting, and it made me cry at the end (one of the few things that have made me do that). I made sure to pick a partner who had good facial expressions, so Pikachu did really good in that field. Added with the script, I felt connected with my partner, and that made it a whole lot better for me. It's a recommended game to play from me, and it's definitely worthwhile.

16. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I have to say that for me the series went bad after Sky. The 3DS games didn't have the same charm as the other games had.

17. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Let me just say that the Mystery Dungeon series is by far the best spin-off series, but everyone knew that. It usually has more character development than the main series games (except Sun/Moon and a few rivals), and it is never a question of whether there will be a shocking plot twist, but a question of what it will be. Super Mystery Dungeon did this incredibly well, and so did Time/Darkness/Sky, but Infinity's was just swapping two character roles from Red/Blue. I believe the only reasons Torchic and Mudkip don't blow away Treeko in popularity are because of the anime (duh) and Grovyle's role in Time/Darkness/Sky. And the thing in Super with
    Espurr as a triple agent,
    was incredibly well executed. Overall I love the series, but I have to give the slight edge to Super over Time/Darkness/Sky. The other two fall somewhere below that.

18. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I love all the games, but if I were to pick one I would say Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon. The game was challenging, but it was really fun and the same time. I loved how the legends were included in the story and the game had arcs which I generally enjoyed. A lot of people I know don't enjoy the tutorial parts, but I like it a lot. It reminded me of how school used to be like for me until it spiraled downwards. The Pokémon of the Expedition Society made me laugh and I generally like their characters too. The music was good too (Even if they did recycle a few tracks).

19. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,996.0
    I've only played Red Rescue Team and I only have a passing familiarity with the other games, so RRT is my favorite by default. That being said I love that game. I have some issues with the game play; it gets kind of repetitive after a while, the hunger system is annoying and some of the post-game dungeons are just ridicules (I'm looking at you, Purity Forest) but overall it was good. The story was great and one of my favorites of the overall series so far. I played through it as a Charmander (Rex) and my partner was a Squirtle (Shellshock). If I recall correctly, I even managed to get my rescue team, Team Dynamo, to Lucario Rank. Oh, the memories...

20. SkyBlueFox1

SkyBlueFox1 Black Belt

Rose
    (Ninetales)
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,728.9
    Explorers of Sky for sure. I'm admittedly extremely biased because it helped me through some rougher patches, but it's basically the thing that inspired me to get back into writing and all sorts of other stuff, so I have a lot of life things to thank it for. I felt like Gates was flawed but had some good ideas, and Super was just all-around messy from top to tip, so EoS is pretty much where it's at for me.

plus i kind of crush/ed hard on the explorers partner oops lol