1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

First, second, or third person?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Drew Blackstone, Mar 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Drew Blackstone

PokéPoints:
    ₽58.7
    Which perspective do you prefer to write from and why?

Personally, I prefer to write in first person. It gives interesting insight to the character's voice and worldview, and writing snarky narrators is always fun. It's probably also because one of my main influences as a writer has mostly written in first person.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I usually write in third-person, as its my "default" and I don't even think about it. However, on other sites, I always write first-person just to take a break and see how deep I can get into MC's mind.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I prefer first person or third person. When I RP I usually use third but when I write a story I always use first off and on since it makes more sense in my head. That makes it correction heavy after I finish though XD

4. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    I always write third person. Not because it's easier, in fact, it makes it harder at times, figuring out POV's and whatnot. I write third person because all my narratives are about the character, so I make them the center of attention.

5. ~Nova~

~Nova~ Birby Friend

PokéPoints:
    ₽284.5
    I always write in third person. I used to write in first person a lot back when I was younger, but then I found it easier to detail/write for some reason, and I guess it just stuck. I will very occasionally attempt something in first-person, though

6. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I prefer to write in third person most of the time, because sometimes the story just calls for that. There have been times I've done first person, but I know that I'll never write in second person. I don't have the guts to do that...

7. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Crown of ValorPhilosopher's CowlStaff of VerityTapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    I mainly write in first person. I just find it easier that way. It also allows you to see the character's feelings and viewpoints on something

8. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,460.6
    First person is easier for me, but for my own character. I think that I have a harder time doing the first person for Lindsey Stirling's character, or any other character. I have tried to do third person, but I have no idea how I did. Lindsey's perspective is so much harder because she's actually a real person in real life, as a Youtuber/Musician. I try my best to write her in character as she is in real life, while I have seen Lindsey Stirling stories with Lindsey having traits that she doesn't have in real life. I try my best to place people I know and admire (i.e, Lindsey Stirling herself) and place them in an alternate universe and think of how they act in that world I'm using.
    If you are planning to use a person from real life, here's a suggestion: If you have examples of them in video format, try to watch them to figure out how they would possibly act in this different world. For me, trying to get a real life person in a fantasy world, try to guess how they act and interact with the characters in that specific world.

9. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    Third person omniscient is easiest to write for me, because I can write everyone's thoughts instead of being limited to the main character.

I might try first person again, that'd be a fun challenge for nanowrimo.

10. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I'd just like to say that, if there are any of you out there who narrate in second person, and do so well, then you have my admiration and respect - because second-person narration is extremely difficult to do.

Also, tell me how. I want to learn, in case I need to do so.

My writing style can exchange fairly fluidly between first- and third-person views, as I feel is appropriate for the situation. I'm equally comfortable and proficient in both, and the only difference is whether I want the story to be told through the eyes of one of the characters, or if that isn't as important and I can afford an impersonal narrator. For example, I'll start and finish the story with a third-person view, but then have most of the middle with a first-person narrator.

This can be especially valuable in stories with multiple characters and wherein all of their perspectives are potentially important. Really, it just comes down to what is most needful; I don't have a strong lean one way or the other.

11. IronBat064

Scorch
    (Growlithe)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽40.5
    I usually write in third-person, as it allows me to explore all of the characters' actions, thoughts, and emotions, rather than being limited to writing from a single character's perspective.

But I am not opposed to using first-person POV. I tried writing a story in that POV, once. I ended up scrapping it, though. I lost interest in the story and I don't see a point in writing about something I have no interest in (unless it's a research paper for school. That's different.)

I won't ever write in second-person. I don't see a point in talking to the reader unless I'm breaking the fourth wall.

12. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    First person! I used to write in third person but it got a little boring and I still don't why my mindset randomly changed midway. First's become my go-to and I can't write in anything else... Seems to be more of an unpopular opinion amongst the writers I know, but geez, I don't think you can even force me to write a story completely in third person anymore. The thought alone is kinda icky.

Seconding Eclipse though–I don't know how people write in second person. It's difficult, and I'm not even used to reading it because I hardly ever see it.

13. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I usually write in third person because it feels easier for me. I think that with third person, you can describe more about the situation, what the other characters are doing, and other things that a single character just might not notice. It's kind of like playing an observer of some sort? Though I have written a couple of things in first person, too, and a few short stories with second person (but I'm sure I messed at least something up).

I never really thought that second person meant talking to the readers- whenever I read anything second person, I never felt like I was being talked to. I feel like second person is more like the writer is talking to the (main) character (of the story) (but not really? I don't really understand, either). I'm actually attempting to write something in second person (dunno why I decided against third person), I can't say it's easy but I can't say it's deathly difficult, either. Probably because I don't understand what affects and/or defines how well a second person story is written. (I probably am not doing remotely well, so...)

First person is fine with me, nothing against it, but at the moment I think I like second person better. Second person technically also confines us to the viewpoint, observations, and thoughts of a single person, but I personally think that it provides a certain connection between the character and the reader (e.g. me), so what they experience feels a little more personal (at least, for me). I think if I write what I'm currently writing (second person) with third person instead, I'll feel a little bit more distant from the character. Though, there are parts that absolutely need to be written in third person (namely things that the character didn't know happened, or was away when it happened).

That was probably confusing, so I'm sorry. :sweat:

14. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    I love writing in First person because it gives the main character a chance to truly express what they feel and how they see the world

15. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I do first person. The main reason is because I see third person often as dry and emotionless. First person gives an insight that third person often can't reach. It makes the words on the page more impact-full and often it allows you to play with the words themselves to convey a point. I have also been reading some really ingenious first person writing. I will admit, I've had to cut multiple ideas I wanted to put into my work because the main character doesn't see it happening. I really liked some of those ideas too but it didn't work for the narrator. I don't regret it though, I am able to convey thoughts and emotions with such ease because of the narrator. Most of the time, snarky quips that I would never say out load I can put straight into the head of my character. I prefer first person simply because of the more intimate relationship I have with the main character and the fun I can have with literal word play.

16. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I can't find a way to stop writing in first person! It's almost trance-like, slipping into your character's skin and escaping the world, even if it's just for a bit. It also makes you really see from their point of view and, I find, makes you sympathize with them.
    Edit: And seriously, writing in second is really hard. I mean, it's almost impossible for me to do it. Does anyone have any tips?
    #MissingNo