1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

I wasted my Master Ball on a Farfetch'd! (Gameplay mistakes)

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Otter Mii-kun, Mar 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Otter Mii-kun

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    At times, particularly when we were new to the Pokémon games, we would make certain mistakes, sometimes repeatedly, that more experienced players don't usually commit.

What mistakes did you frequently make in the main series Pokémon games, particularly when you were new to the franchise?

I made several major mistakes early in my Pokémon gaming experience, often repeatedly. Among them (all in Yellow) were:
    • Repeatedly trying to catch other Trainers' Pokémon, particularly those that couldn't be found in the wild in Yellow, such as Bug Catcher's Weedle, and Jessie and James' Pokémon.
    • Ignorantly trying to use electric attacks against Ground-type Pokémon, including in the Pewter Gym.
    • Spoiling my starter Pikachu to the point where it got to level 65 by the time I was able to access the final Gym (Viridian).
    • Wasting my Master Ball on a Farfetch'd after getting frustrated over it breaking out of my Great Balls.
    • Running from all three Legendary Birds, and both Snorlax.

2. Kuroshi Heki

PokéPoints:
    ₽193.3
    Well I made the mistake of spamming growl thinking I could win as a kid? Don't know how I thought that would work. I also would throw pokeballs repeatedly at the other trainer's Pokémon thinking it would do something. My biggest mistake was releasing my starter Pokémon when it was level 50.

3. An Evil Wizard

An Evil Wizard The Ironic Mage

Chef Boyardee
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.7
    Fightinium Z ★★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Beedrillite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    mine had to be using a master ball on a Magikarp in Yellow. My friend said it was a legendary and I was so gullible at the time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    I once used my Master Ball on a Sneasel in Platinum. Damn thing just didn't want stay in a normal ball, so I chucked my Master Ball at it. Do I regret it? No. Do I think it was silly? Absolutely.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Riding your bike indoors, did it all the time.

Also I have yet to use a master ball but wasted my cool apircorn balls on common Pokémon

6. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    Accidentally caught a minun in a master ball. Decided to suck it up and use that minun and make it great. (Well as great as I could haha).

7. evanibble

evanibble Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽26.2
    -Not getting the masterball in my first playthrough
    -Failing to realize that I was battling a shiny dragonair in the wild until AFTER I defeated it.

These are the only ones that immediately come to mind, but there are certainly plenty more out there i'm sure.

8. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I remember when I first played Pearl and I was nearing the part when you catch Palkia, my friend kept telling me that Palkia was the easiest legendary to catch the the game and I just needed to throw a few Ultra Balls at it. Come the battle, my 8 year old brain was super stressed out by the fact that the world was going to end and I ended up weakening Palkia... Only to throw my Master Ball at it. I don't think I even bothered with Ultra Balls.

Since then, I've only used my Master Ball to catch one of the Legendary Birds in R/B, making the item pretty much useless in all the other games I've played. I just don't know when the right time to use it is.

As well as that, in my first playthroughs of Blue and Gold, I got hopelessly lost quickly and had no idea where I was supposed to go or what I was supposed to do. Part of that might have been due to the fact that I could only play those games when my babysitter came over as the games belonged to her, but I can't remember ever battling the first Gym in Gold or getting anywhere near Vermillion City in Blue. I was ridiculously proud of myself when I managed to navigate my way through Pearl.

9. Weedle Enthusiast

Weedle Enthusiast Resident Weedle Enthusiast

Best Boi
    (Charjabug)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽57.8
    Crown of ValorDome Fossil ★★★
    When I was younger, I REALLY wanted a Poliwrath. So after a really long time, I was able to get a Poliwag while fishing on the route towards Victory Road. And I opened up my bag, and only had a Master Ball. Little me was so frustrated from how long it took, that I threw that Master Ball.

When I first started, I thought my opponents health was beneath them and mine was above me. So I couldn't figure out why I was losing. And I was convinced that String Shot had a chance to Paralyze (since I somehow got a Pikachu, and it got static on a Caterpie).

Up until a few months after Omega Ruby was released, I thought having Surf on my Hariyama was good.

10. MetaKnightmareUltra

PokéPoints:
    ₽147.6
    i remember i was playing White 2 on a diff. cartridge, and i had just gotten past Ghetsis, as i was on the route before victory road, i ran into a bouffalant. i accidentally used my masterball on it, so i reset, but the last place i saved was right before Ghetsis' fight. i had to redo it. :(

11. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I threw my MAsterball on a Weedle. It was an complete accident and I cursed my DS out. Seeing as I had been breeding for about 3 hours, without saving.

12. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I wanted to transfer one of my Pokémon from my Pokémon Emerald game up to my White game and I did. Problem was I taught that Pokémon the dig TM and now I have no way of getting the three legendary beasts in my Emerald game.

13. DeathxVictory

DeathxVictory 空̛̜̝͎̪̥̣ͪ͢虚̩̩͕̫̜̠̲ͫͤ

PokéPoints:
    ₽76.8
    GS Ball ★★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Premier Ball ★
    So i have lots of mistakes in my long term of playing Pokémon the mistakes i have done from the age of six and up omg where do i begin:​
    - hating my pikachu so much that i never used it in yellow and failed to beat the elite 4 because i would only use nidoking with thrash​
    - One shooting many of the legendaries with my Pokémon due to them being over leveled.​
    - Not paying attention to the amount of balls i have and running out on Giratina ... that was frustrating​
    -POWER DYING ON ME DURING ME TRYING TO CATCH RAYQUAZA IN EMERALD ( dang batteries)​
    - finally watching the legendary Pokémon kill itself more then once due to confusion or struggle....​
    thats all i can remember growing up well besides " where was i going again?"​

14. Kimochiru

PokéPoints:
    ₽82.7
    I didn't make this mistake, but I probably would have either way. My babysitter wanted to play my Platinum game, and we got to the part with Giratina. He... decided to weaken it before throwing a Master Ball. Also, I accidentally released Dialga because I wanted to know what the "RELEASE" did. ..Prooobably should have tested that on a different Pokémon instead xD

15. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    My two biggest mistakes happened in two different games. And they both make me slap myself for being dumb at Pokémon.

First was in Emerald. As a child, I never realized that I needed to try to keep my Pokémon at an even level. So, at its worst, I had a level 70 Sceptile and a level 15 Zigzagoon in the exact same party. Plus, my Zigzagoon was stockpiled with HMs, making him "impossible" to get rid of, and the Pelipper on my team was stockpiled with, er, Stockpile. The whole set of moves for that, and Fly. What a dunce I was. I was then stuck on Winona for who knows how long because she would first wipe out Sceptile, and then slowly, but surely wipe everyone else out. Luckily, older me found the game again, realized how dumb I used to be, and completed the game.

The second thing was in HeartGold, and I have never let myself down on this. You see, I have never ever caught a Shiny Pokémon that wasn't pre-set. So, in the Burned Tower in Ecruteak City, I was ecstatic when I finally found a shiny Rattata. I switched to my weakest Pokémon, launched my weakest attack...and managed to knock it out in one hit. I was heartbroken, and I even tried resetting my game before I eventually realized that it was hopeless. I blew it. My one chance at catching a Shiny, and it's gone. I have never seen a wild Shiny ever since then, and I'm not sure if I will. All I can do is mourn the one that got away.

Mandriel and Crest like this.
  16. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    - Shutting off my B/W game without saving after landing a critical capture on a rare Pokémon (I hadn't known what those were at the time and thought the whistling noise meant I had somehow damaged my game cartridge/broken my DS's speakers. x.x)

- Weakening Dialga before using a Masterball
    - Erasing my file after getting "stuck" in the Elite Four

- Buying a Silk Scarf from the Game Corner thinking that my Pokémon cohld actually dress up with it, then being... bitterly disappointed about wasting money when they couldn't

17. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    Accidentally attempting to challenge the Battle Royal Dome right after that Battle Royal scene. I had no idea the Pokémon were at Level Fifty! I couldn't find any reference to them being Level 50. It was like two in the morning and it didn't occur to me to check BULBAPEDIA, so I decided to go for it. As soon as one Trainer sent out a Samorott (can't spell) I was like WELP SCREWED and soft reset because I was too unhappy. Second mistake: shopping at the League in ORAS with just my HM slave Bandit and Pokémon I was grinding up. I stood up to go get a snack and dropped the DS on the floor.
    Yep, I walked into the League with a Level 56 Linoone and a Machop, Pikachu, Seedot, and two others. Average levels: 15. I had to soft reset out and lost an Intimidate Mawile and a few other good catches. ARRRGGGHHH
    #MissingNo

kindred likes this.
  18. kindred

kindred Collector

friend
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽205.8
    when i was younger and played emerald, i had a very very bad habit of levelling up one Pokémon way more than the others. so my swampert was like almost level 80, and all the others were like... level 30 or 40. thats probably why i never beat the elite four in that game... welp. i had the habit of doing that up until..i got platinum i think and learned my lesson

i also accidentally forgot to transfer my level 70 mimikyu to my new data on moon and its gone forever... ;c ive also accidently one hit ko many legendaries and forgotten to save before hand

19. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    A golett kept breaking out of my pokeballs so I used my masterball on it. I'm pretty sure that back then I didn't know that you could only get one but still, it's dumb. I also used rollout on a shiny pelipper. I wish I could of seen my face of horror at the time once I realized the mistake I'd made :D

20. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    Hmm... A lot of Masterball stories, eh?
    Well, mine's no different, lol.

I accidentally used my Masterball on a Darumaka in White 2. I don't know why I pressed it, I just did. Only after I saw thecatch animation start playing, I thought to myself: "Shit". I had to reset and lost two hours of play data, lol.

Also, like many others, my starter Pokémon was way overleveled, back when I first played Pokémon Diamond. Looking back at it, it was pretty amazing that I managed to beat the Elite 4 just by using him, especially when you realize that I only used Earthquake because my tean-year-old brain only understood it was ridiculously strong, lol. At least, by that time, my English had evolved enough to allow me to learn what Ethers and such are, lol.