1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Through the Years, Season 1

Discussion in 'Literature Library' started by evanibble, Mar 7, 2017.

1. evanibble

evanibble Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽26.2
    You can find this story on FF.net, also in my signature. I'm much further along on that site, but i'll be regularly posting here to catch up. Also yes, i'm aware that its pretty vanilla, and the first couple episodes definitely do not help in that regard. Please bear with me, though. Since the first two episodes are kinda short (especially episode 2), i'll include them both in this first post.

As for comments, I don't really have much of a preference. You can message me, leave a review on FF.net, or maybe I could create a separate discussion thread. An old forum I used to go to had a whole section dedicated to discussion threads, actually.

Without further ado, here ya go:

[SIZE=12pt]Episode 1: The first Pokémon–Oak's Lab![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]His interest in Pokémon stems from a battle he once saw on TV. It was an Indigo League match between Lance of the Elite 4 and a trainer from Pallet town, named Blue. To him, the battle was incredible–Blue's Arcanine fought Lance's Dragonite with a grace that is rarely seen, well, in any fight. From that point on, after watching two accomplished trainers duke it out in a high stakes match, he wanted to be a trainer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]He wanted to be like them.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Niko was 17 years old when he finally decided to start his gym challenge in the Kanto region. He was originally from Vermillion City, but his family moved to Pallet Town a few years prior. Since then, he has been going to school, living an ordinary teenage life with his family and friends. He has only a younger brother–Jake–who is not yet old enough to have a Pokémon of his own. Speaking of which, you're probably wondering why–at 17–he hasn't gotten his first Pokémon yet. Well, to be honest, he wanted to wait until he finished school before he went on this journey. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]He was also nervous about travelling on my own at 10 years old, but let's just leave the real reason at education.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]It was a bright day in late summer when he finally decided to set off on his journey. He had told his parents and brother that he had planned to do this earlier, and so they were all prepared for his "sending-off," so to speak. Niko even planned on going with a friend, Fay. They have been friends since we were 10 years old, and both decided to get their first Pokémon later, for similar reasons. And so, they both decided that they would travel together, taking on the gym challenge and eventually the Pokémon League at Indigo Plateau.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Niko! Time to get up!" His Mom bellowed from the ground floor of our Pallet townhouse. He had been trying to get a good night's rest, but the anxiety over finally leaving home was getting to him. He has never left home before, not even for a summer camp. Fay had, and so Niko can imagine he was less nervous about leaving. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]He opened his eyes and stared over at the door separating my room from the second story hallway. Since he usually sleeps on his side, that's the first thing he sees when he wakes up. The moment he realized what day it was, he ripped the blanket off and got right onto his feet. Niko was finally leaving. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I'll be down in a minute! I need to get dressed!" He replied to Mom. Niko quickly shed his pajamas and got into clothes that befit an adventurer–comfortable jeans and a short-sleeve t-shirt (well, these aren't clothes that a prepared adventurer would wear, but follow me on this one). He then looked over at his backpack that he packed the night before. It has some spare clothes (have to travel light, right?), snacks, and a re-fillable water pack. He had planned this out with Fay earlier: they would first head to Viridian City on their way to Pewter, where the first gym in the Kanto gym challenge is supposed to be. They could get supplies there later. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Well looked what the Meowth dragged in." His Dad joked as he entered the kitchen. Mom looked over at him as he approached her, shoving a pan of bacon in his direction. Niko returned the smile and sat down at the table nearby, next to Jake, who was busy playing a video game.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"So Niko are you ready for your adventure?" Jake said while beating up a monster in his game. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"As ready as I'll ever be." He responded, eagerly waiting for breakfast to be done.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"So where are you meeting Fay again?" Dad asked.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"At Professor Oak's lab. That's where trainers usually get their first Pokémon."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Oh right. Professor Oak is a pretty cool guy. I've always liked following his research." His Dad is a professor of Pokémon biology at the local school, and so he has taken an academic approach to my whole journey, especially regarding filling up the Pokédex, which he keeps insisting Niko try to do. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]And he very well might, actually. He wants to see as much as he can on this journey.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]A couple minutes later, Mom placed down a pile of toast next to a plate of eggs and bacon. The whole family took some and began eating. About a half of an hour later, when they finished, Niko was ready to get going. For Jake and my Dad, they seemed to get that he was ready to go. My Mom...not as much. But Niko assured her that he would visit as often as possible. She knew that this is something he wanted to do, and that he would eventually leave "the nest." However, it isn't difficult watching your children leave into the unknown. Niko felt just as nervous.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Bye Mom, Dad, I'll definitely be back! Jake, please do well in school." he said, playfully punching his shoulder. He tried punching back, but Niko skillfully evaded his fist. He wasn't sure how much longer he would be able to do that, since he is growing up fast.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]He waved goodbye as he walked towards the street and on his way to Professor Oak's lab, which was a short five minute walk. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Fay was standing in the doorway talking with another boy their age as he approached the Pokémon lab. As Niko got closer, they both looked over at him and waved.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Hey Niko!" Fay said excitedly. "You remember JJ, right?" he nodded. Jeremy, or JJ for short, is a former classmate of theirs from school. He would always tag alongside Fay and Niko when they hung out. Niko thought him to be kind of an odd guy, but in all honesty, who isn't?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yeah, hey JJ. How are you doing?" Niko asked, shaking his hand as if they were meeting for the first time. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Doing great Niko. Ready to get my first Pokémon." Niko found it odd that they would all be getting their first Pokémon on the same day. However, he went with it, thinking nothing else of it.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"That's awesome! Do you plan on doing the gym challenge too, or what?" Niko asked inquisitively.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yeah uh I plan on battling gyms too. Not sure when I'll uh start though." He responded. JJ takes periodic pauses when he speaks. Which, again, is not unusual. It's easier to notice pauses when they aren't coming from you.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Cool cool. Well, let's go on inside, shall we?" Niko motioned towards the inside of the lab, and JJ and Fay walked right on in. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Professor Oak's lab was enormous. There were aisles upon aisles of bookshelves, each lined with books of varying sizes and topics. As he passed by Niko noticed one in particular on evolution. It was titled "The Happiness Factor: A New Kind of Pokémon Evolution." Another: "The Mysteries of Eevee. A World of Evolutions." Beyond the bookshelves were large machines hooked up to desktops and servers of differing varieties. It was all so incredible.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Fay was particularly impressed. He has always had a curious interest in computers and engineering. Had we not gone on this journey, he may have gone off to the University of Kanto at Saffron City. JJ has a similar interest, but he has never really shown much beyond shock and awe over how certain technologies work. Niko, for one, once tried a programming course. Didn't work out so well. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]As they continued to marvel at the lab, an old man beckoned us over. "Hello boys!" All three of them looked up in tandem at a tall white-haired man in a lab coat waving. "I've been expecting you three all morning!" He bellowed with a slightly raspy voice.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Morning uh Professor Oak." JJ said, waving his hand halfway into the air in return. "How are uh you this morning?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I am absolutely pleasant, JJ. And this must Fay. How are you, son?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Doing alright, professor." Oak then turned to Niko.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"And you're Niko...correct?" He nodded. "How are your parents doing these days?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Couldn't be better sir!" The young trainer responded, smiling. He had no idea Professor Oak, of all people, knew his parents. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Well that's good to hear. It's always pleasant seeing your father's work. I have a subscription to the Journal of Pokémon Biology, and I will occasionally find his pieces in there. Always a grand old time." Oak then walked over to a table with four pokeballs sitting there. "Now then, let's get to business." He said, grabbing the closest one. "I have four Pokémon here that we like to give out to new trainers. Here they are." He said grabbing another a tossing both into the air.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Out of the first one came a little green frog-like Pokémon with a large light green bulb on the back. "Here is Bulbasaur, the seed Pokémon. It is a grass type." Out of the second Pokéball came an orange lizard with a flame on its tail. "That's Charmander, the lizard Pokémon. It's a fire type." Oak then grabbed the last two pokeballs on the table and tossed them onto the ground. Out of one of them came a little blue turtle that stood on its hind legs, and out of the other was a brown foxlike Pokémon with a fluffy brown tail. "This on the right is Squirtle, the tiny turtle Pokémon, and this last one is Eevee, the evolution Pokémon." Oak then looked up at the three of the new trainers. "You may each choose one. Fay, you're first." [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Fay looked at all four Pokémon carefully, finally deciding on Charmander. "Nice choice Fay. Charmander is going to be a very strong Pokémon, I can already tell. Jeremy, you're next." Jeremy took a few minutes deciding, but ultimately settled on the Eevee. He knew Eevee had many different evolutions, and wanted to see what his might become. "Alright Niko, you're last. You can have a Squirtle or a Bulbasaur."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Niko looked down at both Pokémon. This is something he had been thinking a lot about since he made the decision to start the gym challenge. The best trainers had very balanced team rosters, and raised their Pokémon accordingly. For him, Niko also wanted a partner that would become his friend, too. As the son of a biologist, he had a fair amount of experience with Bulbasaurs. His Dad observed them for a study he was doing on their different types of spore attacks.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]After a minute or so of thinking, Niko finally decided. "I choose Bulbasaur, Professor Oak." He proclaimed, looking up at him. The professor smiled.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Your father would be very proud of that choice, Niko. You and Bulbasaur are going to be fast friends I'm sure." He then put Squirtle back in its Pokéball and set it carefully on the table. He turned back and handed each of us the pokeballs for our respective Pokémon. "These are yours. Congrats fellas, you're now Pokémon trainers!" Fay, JJ, and I all looked at each other and smiled. "Now, I also want to give these to you." He said, handing them little red machines in the shape of a notepad. "This is a Pokédex. It will record information and data on each and every Pokémon that you meet. Niko, I'm sure your father would appreciate taking a look at this when you're done." Oak said, winking at him. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"He certainly will sir. Dad has made it very clear he wants plenty of new data to study!" Niko said, laughing, albeit a little nervously. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Excellent. Now, that's just about all I have for you three. If you're planning on battling gym leaders, then the closest would have to be Viridian City, but I heard that one is currently under construction, so the next closest would have to be Pewter City. The gym leader there, Brock, is a wonderful guy. I'm sure you'll like him, too!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Well professor, thank you so much!" They all said, each shaking his hand firmly. Niko's Dad always taught me to look someone in the eyes and give them a nice, firm handshake. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"It is my pleasure, Niko. Now, if you boys ever need anything, please feel free to give me a call."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"We will!" said JJ.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]The three new trainers walked out of the lab. It was about noon now, and they had a general idea of where they were headed. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"So I think Viridian City is to the north, right?" Niko asked, looking over at Fay.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yeah, we should be able to make it either tonight or early tomorrow. It isn't too far. We should probably grab a meal for the road, though. It's not like we'll see much out there that is actually edible."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Fay and Niko began walking to the north end of Pallet Town when they heard JJ running up behind them. "What's up JJ?" Fay said, turning around.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Hey guys...uh, is it alright if I tag along with you two, at least for a bit?" JJ said, panting between every few words.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]They had been planning this for months now, and it never occurred to neither Niko nor Fay to bring along other people. Not that they weren't against JJ joining, but it just never crossed their minds.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Of course, JJ. We'd love for you to tag along!" Niko said, holding out my fist. JJ returned the fist-bump, and the three of them began walking under the sun, towards Viridian City. Their journey had finally begun.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Episode 2: Pokémon battle! Bulbasaur vs. Eevee![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]To get to Viridian City, trainers need to pass through Route 1. On the whole, it wasn't too bad. Just fields that seemingly go for miles with little groups of trees scattering the landscape. For Niko, it really was a nice sight. Fay and JJ seemed to enjoy it too when they all sat down for lunch a couple of hours after leaving Pallet Town.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Say JJ, you plan on taking on the gyms in Kanto, too?" Fay asked in between bites of his sandwich. JJ looked up at him with the kind of look that said "of course I am, why wouldn't I?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yes Fay, of course I plan on battling the gym leaders."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Ok ok, was just curious is all. Since we're travelling together it's important to know these things, right?" JJ replied with a nod. Fay turned to me. "You are too, Niko. Right?" he nodded.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Indeed, I would like to catch some Pokémon before I battle the Pewter gym, though." It then crossed Niko's mind that he didn't know what kind of Pokémon he wanted to catch. Ideally, a trainer wants types of Pokémon that can trump the gym leader's type. But he didn't know what type Brock uses. Come to think of it, he don't know much about the Pokémon that he already has.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Niko picked Bulbasaur's Pokéball from his pocket, pressed the middle button to enlarge it, and tossed it on the ground to release the seed Pokémon. Bulbasaur looked at him quizzically, as if it hardly knew who its trainer was. Which is kind of true, actually.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright Bulbasaur, you're my very first Pokémon, and I want to get to know more about you, since we'll be on this journey for a very long time."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Bulb-aaaa!" Bulbasaur said in response. Niko wasn't quite sure what it was trying to communicate to him. He then picked off a piece of the nutrition bar that he was eating and put out his hand towards Bulbasaur.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Here Bulbasaur, want some?" Bulbasaur looked at the bar for a moment, trying to see if it could recognize the food first. Once it realized that it, in fact, could not, it decided to walk over and try it. When Bulbasaur got to Niko's hand, it sniffed it, and then the nutrition bar. After a moment of further surveying it, Bulbasaur eventually grabbed the piece out of his palm and smiled as it munched on the bar. "Haha! I'm glad you like it, Bulbasaur!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Fay and JJ followed suit with their respective Pokémon. Charmander immediately took a liking to Fay, grabbing his sandwich right out of his hands and chewing on it happily. Eevee, on the other hand, was very nervous around JJ. He tried giving a potato chip to his Pokémon, but the little Eevee looked unsure about it. JJ eventually placed his bag of chips on the ground in front of Eevee, and then laid on his back in the grass, looking up at the clear blue sky.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"What's up JJ?" Niko asked after feeding another piece of my nutrition bar to Bulbasaur.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Oh nothing much, just thinking."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Thinking about what?" Fay asked, putting the plastic bag that held his sandwich back into his pack.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Nothing much." Fay and Niko both looked at each other, a little confused.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"You're not...thinking about anything...?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yeah, nothing much." JJ then sat up on his shoulder and looked over at his travelling companion. "Say Niko...wanna battle?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]He thought about this for a moment. He hasn't ever battled anyone before. It would be an exciting experience, and obviously something he'd have to get used to if he ever wanted to be the Indigo League champion.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yeah JJ, I accept your challenge!" Niko got up and looked at Bulbasaur. "You ready to battle?" Bulbasaur's face changed into one of determination. He was clearly ready as well.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]JJ, Niko, and their Pokémon ran down to the bottom of the hill they were sitting on and stood about 10 yards away from one another, with their Pokémon right in front of them. Fay and Charmander refereed the match.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright Bulbasaur, let's go! Go and use tackle on Eevee!" Niko proclaimed. Bulbasaur then tried to run as fast as he could towards Eevee, but it wasn't fast enough, because Eevee was able to get out of the way quickly.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Good job Eevee, now let's use tackle in return!" JJ yelled out. But Eevee didn't move. Instead it just looked up at JJ, and then at Bulbasaur, and once again at JJ. "Eevee, what are you doing? You have to attack Bulbasaur! That's how we win!" While he was trying to coach Eevee, Niko took advantage of the situation and commanded Bulbasaur to use tackle again. This time it hit, and Eevee fell back a couple of feet, right in front of JJ. Eevee didn't get up immediately, and when it did, it ran off, away from JJ and everyone. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Oh, Eevee...come back!" JJ yelled, getting up and following Eevee in the direction of a group of nearby trees. Niko looked over at Fay and went over to the trees as well. They then saw JJ trying to comfort Eevee, but the little foxlike Pokémon wasn't having any of it. It was clear to everyone that Eevee did not like battling, but JJ didn't really seem to understand why. Eventually, JJ put Eevee back in its Pokéball and stood back up in front of the rest of the group.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I'll just have to work on this, I don't know uh know what's up with Eevee. I want it to like battling, or at least to be okay with it."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Well, you shouldn't try to push it to want to battle as hard as you are. You just yelled out commands without trying to make a connection with Eevee" explained Fay. Niko nodded in agreement. Even though, in retrospect, Niko was also guilty of just blindly yelling out commands, he figured this worked because Bulbasaur was eager to fight. Eevee wasn't. How they would get Eevee to have that fighting spirit that would deliver gym badges to JJ, none of them were entirely sure. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]They were starting to walk back to the hill when Fay broke into a sprint towards his backpack, which he just left behind. Niko looked over at the hill more closely, and saw that a little ball of fur with legs and arms was rummaging through Fay's backpack. He then broke into a run to follow Fay and the hairy thief. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]By the time they got there, the creature had already run off. Fay was looking through his backpack to see what was stolen, and JJ and Niko looked over the nearby landscape to see where it could have gone.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Do you see anything Niko?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Nothing, JJ. Whatever that thing was, it's apparently long gone."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"What the hell was that?" JJ asked, looking over at Fay.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I don't freakin' know JJ!" Fay shouted back. "Whatever it was, it took the food I had premade for dinner. Little asshole." Fay then closed his backpack. "Whatever. Let's just keep going to Viridian City. We can stock up on supplies there. Maybe we might see that creature on the way. And if we do, I'm fighting it."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yeah, good idea. We aren't too far from Viridian City. We probably have another mile or so to go." Niko responded, looking at the map of western Kanto that he brought with him from home. "And if we see that...thing, we will be sure to get back at it for stealing your food." Fay nodded in response, and the three of them headed down the hill and on to Viridian City.[/SIZE]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. evanibble

evanibble Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽26.2
    [SIZE=12pt]Episode 3: Mankey the thief![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]By the time the sun was setting, they finally could see the edge of Viridian City. Exhausted from walking nearly all day, they decided to head to the nearby Pokémon center to sit down and have something to eat. Earlier in the day, Niko send out bulbasaur again to walk alongside them, so that it could also see the world around it. Fay and JJ did the same, with JJ holding eevee in his arms instead of having it walk all the time. While they were eating they decided to let their Pokémon take a rest in the beds that the Pokémon center provided free of charge.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"So uh Fay, when should we reach Pewter City at the rate that we're going?" JJ asked Fay and Niko, who were sitting on the other side of the table, in between bites of a burger.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Well we only have to pass through the Viridian Forest and then Pewter City is just a little bit further than that. I'd say half a day at that point," Fay said, pulling out his map of the Kanto region. He nodded again to confirm what he had just said. "Yeah, we'll reach it tomorrow night or the following afternoon, depending on how long it takes to get through the forest."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I've heard that the Viridian Forest is pretty dense, and it's really easy to get lost," Niko piped in. "At least, that's what my dad told me. He spent a lot of times studying in there."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Well...then we'll reach Pewter City the day after tomorrow," Fay said with a chuckle. "Gives us plenty of time to prepare for the gym battle against Brock."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Speaking of which," JJ said, "do we even know what type of Pokémon Brock uses?" Fay and Niko looked at other, a little confused. Fay shook his head and Niko shrugged his shoulders.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Dunno. Is there any way we can look it up?" Niko asked.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]The three trainers looked at each other, then Fay got up and walked over to the resident Nurse Joy if she knew. She handed him a pamphlet with a smile, and Fay walked back over a minute later.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Look what I got" he opened up the pamphlet with an eager smile, as if he had discovered gold. Niko leaned over to take a look at it. JJ got out of his seat and leaned over Fay's shoulder. They perused the pamphlet until they got to the section on gym leaders. It had a short profile of each leader, including their city of residence, their type specialty, and other pieces of biographical information. However, it left out the exact Pokémon that they used.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"So here's Brock's information." Fay said, pointing to the first gym leader. "It says he is originally from Pewter City, is the son and grandson of former gym leaders of Pewter City, and uses rock types. He's also referred to as Brock Jr."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Hmm...rock types, eh? So...what would be useful against them?" Niko wondered.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Grass types, actually. And water types," Fay responded. "So only you have an advantage against Brock, Niko."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Well that's nice! Guess I'm off to a good start then!" Niko smiled. "I just need to learn more about bulbasaur first, and I think I can beat him!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"He is a gym leader after all, it won't be easy," Fay looked at him. "But you're right. At least you have an advantage. I'm not sure how I'll beat him with Charmander."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"All I have is an eevee! How am I going to beat him?" JJ piped in.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Oh yeah..." Fay chuckled. "Normal types don't do any damage to rock types," he said to a rather disappointed JJ. He put his hand on JJ's shoulder. "But you'll find a way, buddy," he smiled. JJ returned the smile. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"We should probably get to bed guys," Niko said, down on his knee patting bulbasaur's bulb. "We have a long day of travelling ahead of us." [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Fay and JJ got up from their table and returned their Pokémon to their pokéballs, and the three boys went to an empty dorm room in the Pokémon center, again free of charge. After another half hour of talking, they all fell asleep.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Fay was the first to wake up, already out and about by the time Niko began to stir. When the latter got out of bed he noticed Fay was already outside training with charmander. It will be difficult for him to fight Brock, so I'm glad he is taking some time to get to know his Pokémon a little more. Niko then turned back to the room, only to see JJ getting up. He was clearly not a morning riser, based on how he looked. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Wha-what's up Niko?" JJ responded in a groggy voice.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Heh, morning JJ. Sleep well?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yeah I guess so. It's weird waking up in a bed you don't recognize," JJ said. He was right. It was a little odd for Niko as well. He hadn't left home before, not even for vacations, and so he was very much used to the bed he has had for pretty much his whole life. "Anyways, where's Fay?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Outside training with charmander."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Ah yeah, he's gonna have a hard time. I should probably go and train with eevee as well," JJ got up and went to the bathroom to change clothes. When he got out Niko was already packing their backpacks and was ready to go. The two boys grabbed Fay's backpack and walked outside to meet with him. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Fay was jumping back and forth with his Pokémon. He looked up and noticed his friends walking over to him, and he stopped, instructing charmander to continue with their exercise. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Morning guys, what's up?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Not much Fay, what are you uh doing?" JJ asked, looking over at charmander. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Exercises to increase his speed and allow it to dodge easier. That'll make it easy to get around rock type moves," Fay responded, looking over at his little lizard Pokémon. Niko was amazed at how ready Fay seemed to be. If he kept this up he might actually stand a chance against Brock.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]He put down his backpack and sent out his Pokémon. "Alright bulbasaur, let's do some training!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]The seed Pokémon yawned as it exited its pokéball and looked up at Niko. Its trainer then asked it to use vine whip, in order to see how powerful it was. Bulbasaur then released two vines from each side of its bulb and whipped them in the air. Niko smiled, and asked it to try again. Bulbasaur responded with yet another vine whip, and kept swinging the green vines back and forth, presumably to get a better feel for how they move around and with how much force. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]While they were doing this JJ sent out eevee to watch the other two. He didn't know what eevee could do, and while he was pondering this eevee started jumping back and forth like charmander. "That's perfect, eevee! Let's do what Fay and charmander are doing, since we'll also have a tough time with Brock," JJ responded happily. In the corner of his eye he noticed something crawling towards his backpack. As he quickly turned around he noticed a furry little creature rummaging through his stuff. "Hey! What're you doing?" JJ yelled, running over to his backpack. The creature looked up and jumped at JJ with a glowing arm. It then punched him in the stomach and ran out off ahead of him. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Charmander, use ember on that Pokémon!" Fay ordered. His Pokémon released a small flame from its mouth in the direction of the mysterious Pokémon, who then turned around and stared at charmander with a sandwich in its mouth. After a moment of the two Pokémon staring each other down, the thief then ran off into the city.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"What was that?" JJ asked, a little disappointed that his lunch had been taken. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"It's a mankey," Niko said, pulling out his pokédex. He showed his friends the pokédex entry for mankey.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Mankey, the pig monkey Pokémon.[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]An agile Pokémon that lives in trees. It angers easily and will not hesitate to attack anything.[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"That's it," Fay looked up in the direction mankey ran in, "I'm catching it. That's probably the little bastard that stole from us yesterday. It also looks like a fighting type, and that's effective against rock types. Let's go guys," he said, motioning to Niko and JJ as he walked into the city.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]For not being a major city in the Kanto region, Viridian City was pretty nice looking. There was a farmer's market going on the day the boys were in town, and so as they were looking for mankey, they also decided to stock up on some fresh food for their journey. While Niko was grabbing some berries, he saw a flash of light brown jump onto the berry cart and then smack him in the face. He fell back onto the ground, berries spilling everywhere. Still dazed from the surprise attack, he looked up and saw mankey grabbing as many berries as he could hold and then leap off the cart and run into a nearby alleyway. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Fay! Fay! I found it!" Niko yelled as he got back onto his feet. Fay, who was just a few carts down, responded by giving his food to JJ and quickly asking him to pay for it.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Don't worry JJ I'll pay you back later. I've gotta catch this!" He said, running towards the alleyway that Niko was pointing to. JJ sighed and then pulled out some cash. Fay stopped midway through the alley as he spotted mankey rummaging through its loot. Niko stopped right behind him. "Charmander, I choose you! Let's get this mankey!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Chaaaar!" Fay's Pokémon responded as it exited its pokéball. It stared down the pig monkey Pokémon as mankey returned the glare.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Let's start off with an ember attack!" Charmander released a little ball of fire in the direction of mankey, who dodged and then ran right at Charmander with a glowing fist. "Dodge it, just like we practiced earlier!" Charmander tried to dodge, but mankey was faster, and jabbed charmander in the side. The lizard Pokémon fell to the side, only to release another ember right in mankey's face.[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]The pig monkey, now very clearly angry, began a series of jabs in charmander's direction. The first few hit Fay's Pokémon in the stomach, but eventually charmander was able to dodge them. "Alright, now use tackle! Grab mankey and run into the wall over there!" Fay said, pointing to the side of the alley. Charmander ducked its head and ran into mankey, arms stretched outwards as it slammed into mankey, pushing it into a wall. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Mankey returned the tackle by shoving charmander backwards and kicking it in the side with its right foot, which was also glowing. It then jumped into the air and, with its foot glowing, began to slam down onto charmander.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Roll to the side and dodge it!" Fay commanded. "Then use ember!" As mankey descended onto his Pokémon, charmander rolled away and then released as little flame as mankey slammed into the ground. Now dazed, Fay reached into his backpack and pulled out a pokéball. "Alright mankey, I'm going to catch you!" Fay threw the pokéball at mankey, who went into the ball. It wiggled a couple of times before ultimately sitting still after making a clicking sound. Fay picked up the pokéball containing his new mankey. "Excellent!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Great job Fay! Now you'll definitely beat Brock!" Niko said, patting his friend on the back. "And we also don't have to worry about it stealing our food anymore." Fay smiled as he looked at his new Pokémon.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Hey guys, what'd I miss?" JJ said as he stood at the entrance of the alley, hands on his knees and panting. Fay and Niko looked over at him.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Fay just caught the mankey. It was such an exciting battle!" Niko exclaimed.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Chaaar!" Charmander yelled excitedly. Fay looked at him, and got down onto his knees to pat it on the head.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"You did a great job Charmander. Your dodging skills are getting better!" Charmander smiled as Fay returned to his pokéball. "Now, let's get back to the Pokémon center. I need to heal these guys up. Niko and JJ nodded as the three walked back through Viridian City the way they came. [/SIZE]

3. evanibble

evanibble Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽26.2
    [SIZE=12pt]Episode 4: JJ gets a Pokémon![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]After catching his first Pokémon, mankey, Fay and his friends decided to heal up his Pokémon and eat lunch at the center in Viridian City before continuing on their journey. During lunch, Fay sat with his two companions, charmander and mankey, discussing their first gym match and how he wanted to train with them. Niko and JJ sat in a booth with bulbasaur and eevee.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright mankey, charmander, we don't know what Pokémon Brock uses exactly, but he does use rock types. Mankey, you'll have the advantage, so you will be my trump card in this match. You think you can do that?" [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Mankey key!" the pig monkey Pokémon cheered. Despite him stealing Fay and JJ's food the past two days, he seemed to be adjusting to the group relatively well. Fay had guessed that maybe mankey didn't have a family, and so he finally felt like he belonged somewhere. There wasn't really much of a way to know, at least now, but nonetheless he was happy to have a new Pokémon with him on his journey.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Fay seems to be really revved up for this gym match, right JJ?" Niko said, playing with his salad as he looked up at his friend.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yeah, he really does. It's gonna be an exciting match for sure. But we also have to prepare for ours, too!" JJ said, pumping his fist and smirking.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Totally, I think bulbasaur is ready to fight, right buddy?" Niko looked down at the seed Pokémon, which smiled with a mouth full of pokéfood. "We just need to practice your vine whip a little bit." He patted bulbasaur on the head before returning to his salad. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]A few minutes later, the group was finished and prepared to leave for the Viridian Forest. As they were on their way to leave town, an old man jumped in front of them, holding a pokéball in front of them.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Hello youngsters! How are you all doing today??" The three trainers looked quizzically at him, unsure of how to respond. "Are you all new trainers? Would you like to learn how to catch Pokémon?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Uh, we kinda already know how to..." Fay said, holding both of his pokéballs in his hands.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"No worries kid, I'll show you how to catch a Pokémon!" The old man said, gripping Fay's shoulder. "Let's go over to the edge of town, there are plenty of Pokémon that we can find!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"But sir, our friend just caught his own Pokémon, we already know..." Niko said, trying to catch up with the fast-paced old man and Fay.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"But that means nothing if you don't keep at it kid!" The old man responded, chuckling. They eventually reached the edge of town and the old man jumped into some bushes nearby. The boys looked at each other, nodded, and were about to walk off when the old man leapt back out with a squirming Pokémon in his hands. "Look what I found, kids!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Niko, Fay, and JJ looked over at the man, who was holding an unfamiliar looking Pokémon, at least unfamiliar to them. It was a small worm-like Pokémon with a stinger on the end of its tail and atop its head. Niko pulled out his pokédex:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Weedle, the hairy Pokémon. [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Beware of the sharp stinger on its head. It hides in grass and bushes where it eats leaves.[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Weedle, huh, well I guess maybe we should try and catch it then." Niko said, holding out bublasaur's pokéball. He was abruptly stopped by JJ, who held his arm out in front of Niko.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I've got this. I want to train eevee a bit, too." He said, looking determined. Niko stepped back and allowed his friend a chance to catch a Pokémon. He figured he would get another chance later, anyways.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright youngster, let's get going. First off, you have to send out your first..." He paused as JJ sent out eevee. "Excellent, and then you..." again he paused as JJ commanded eevee to tackle the little weedle. "Okay, it seems you know what you're doing, then," the old man said, backing off. JJ then commanded eevee to tackle weedle again, but this time it missed as weedle skirted away, releasing string in retaliation. Eevee, caught unaware, tried to wiggle its way out of the sticky string, only to be tackled by weedle. JJ looked worried, and in a panic threw a pokéball at the hairy Pokémon. Weedle noticed it quickly enough to smack it back with its tail. JJ, now a little angry, got down to untangle eevee from the string. While he was doing this, weedle started to run off.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"JJ, weedle is escaping, you need to go after it!" Fay yelled. JJ immediately looked up, stopped what he was doing, and threw another pokéball at the weedle. This time, it captured the little Pokémon, and the pokéball wiggled a little bit before finally succeeding with a clicking sound. JJ sighed for a moment, and then went back to untangling eevee as the old man picked up the pokéball.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Young man, congratulations on catching your first Pokémon." He said, handing JJ the pokéball containing weedle. JJ took it and stared at it for a moment, having finally released eevee from the string. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Eevee was clearly not happy with how the battle went, as it then ran away from JJ and into the woods. The boys and old man looked up, at first confused as to why JJ's Pokémon would just get up and run away like that. JJ then got up and ran after it, refusing to give it any thought. Fay and Niko then followed him, thanking the old man for helping them out.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"No worries, boys! Good luck on your journey!" He said, waving at them as they ran into the forest.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]The Viridian Forest was enormous. Niko was correct–it looked like a dense forest. There were trees going up as far as the eye can see, with enormous logs of fallen trees littering the ground. As Niko and Fay walked through it, they began to notice Pokémon just minding their own business, either feeding their young or searching for food via flight or ground travel. Niko recognized a few of these Pokémon, such as weedle and the occasional pidgey, which is a flying type Pokémon. They kept walking for a bit until they heard what sounded like JJ's voice, as he was crying out to eevee. The two ran over to reunite with their friend.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"You haven't found eevee yet, have you?" Fay asked a worried JJ, who responded with a depressed shaking of his head. "Well, let's keep at it. I'm sure it couldn't have gone far. It might be hiding somewhere." JJ again responded silently, this time with a nod.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]The group continued looking around, also sending out their Pokémon to aid in the search. They decided to split up and meet back at a clearing in the forest at sunset, when it would be far better to stick together, since they had no idea what kind of Pokémon would be lurking in the dark.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]JJ tossed out the pokéball containing weedle and started walking alongside his new Pokémon. "I hope eevee is okay. It doesn't seem to like battling, so I should have known it would act weird when we fought you." He looked down at the hairy Pokémon, who looked up with a blank stare. "It makes me wonder, too, if I am even cut out to fight gym leaders, y'know? I mean, if my Pokémon doesn't even want to fight, then why even try?" He looked down at the ground in front of him, still walking ahead. Weedle scuttled next to him, also with its head down.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Weed...weedle," it cried softly. Then it stopped. "Weed! Weed weed weedle!" JJ turned back to look at his new Pokémon, cocking his head to the left.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"What're you trying to say, weedle?" He noticed weedle had a very determined face on it, as if it were trying to tell him he wanted to battle. "Do you want to fight?" Weedle nodded. "Well then, I guess we can still give it a shot, right? We can't give up if we haven't even tried!" JJ pumped his fist in midair, also sporting a determined look. "But first, we need to find eevee. Then let's try and break its fear of battling, got it?" Weedle smiled and jumped in the air, clearly happy with JJ's resolve. The two, trainer and Pokémon, continued on through the forest.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Fay, charmander, and mankey were also out looking for eevee, and maybe just as contemplative as JJ was. Charmander and mankey were talking with each other, clearly immersed in conversation, as Fay kept to his own thoughts. I wonder if eevee is alright. JJ seemed really concerned with how it has been acting recently. I know he wants to challenge gyms, but what if that isn't his calling? What if he gets discouraged and gives up completely? I want him to continue with us on our journey, but what if he loses badly to Brock? Would he just get up and go home? He's going to have a tough fight coming up, hopefully he is ready for it. Actually, I hope eevee is up for it, for JJ's sake. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Fay looked up after zoning out. He stopped for a moment and sat on a nearby log. Charmander and mankey stood at his feet, both curious as to why he stopped. "Sorry guys, wanted to take a break. How about you two practice your dodging? Charmander, remember how to do that?" Charmander nodded, "great, can you show mankey how to do it? You'll both need to be in tip-top shape if we want to beat Brock," his Pokémon looked up at him and then ran off to start jumping back and forth like he taught them. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Meanwhile, Niko and bulbasaur were also looking out for eevee. Like Fay, he wondered if JJ could keep up with the gym challenge before it even began, especially with eevee's fear of battling. It didn't help that weedle was a bug type, which is actually weak to rock types. That much he knew, since his father taught him a fair amount about bug types from his studies. He looked down at bulbasaur, who was determined as ever to find eevee. Niko was convinced that his Pokémon felt bad about its battle with eevee a day ago, since that was the moment that they learned eevee was scared of fighting.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"You shouldn't blame yourself for eevee fear, bulbasaur." Niko said softly, looking down at his Pokémon. Bulbasaur looked up, apparently having been lost in thought for a moment. "Well, if that's what you're thinking, that is." Niko looked up at the trees surrounding them. "I think eevee's fear is inherent, meaning it grew up with this fear, and it wasn't any Pokémon or trainer that caused it. I'm sure that goes away with age and experience, but it will take some time, and a lot of effort on JJ's part to train it." Niko smiled at bulbasaur. Bulbasaur, now considering its trainer's words, nodded and smiled back.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Bulb! Saur!" it responded happily. Niko laughed, and then looked ahead. He noticed that it was starting to get darker, and so he motioned for bulbasaur to turn back so they could get back to the clearing on time.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]After a bit of walking, Niko, Fay, and their Pokémon finally reached the clearing that they agreed to meet back up at. However, they noticed JJ wasn't back, and certainly neither were his Pokémon. They looked around the clearing, only to find that there was no sign of a human, weedle, or an eevee.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I guess he hasn't gotten back yet." Fay said after looking around a giant log. "Should we just wait for a bit, or go looking for him?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Let's give him another couple minutes. Maybe he just went further than we did. Also remember he kinda walks slowly." Fay nodded with a laugh. They both reminisced about numerous moments during their school days when they waited for JJ to catch up after being distracted by something or the other. After a bit, they realized he hadn't come back yet. "Fay, do you remember which direction he came from?" Niko asked. Fay looked around, and then pointed in the direction behind them.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I think he went that way. I could be wrong, though." As he said that, he heard someone yell out. Taken aback, Niko and Fay looked at each other, knowing fully well that it came from JJ. They then ran in the direction of the scream.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]JJ and weedle stepped backwards as a giant bird Pokémon hovered over them. Too petrified to pull out his pokédex, JJ instead opted for fighting the bird. "Weedle, think we can take this on?" JJ looked down at his new Pokémon, who nodded and jumped forward, ready for battle. "Alright, let's use string shot then!" He commanded, and the hairy Pokémon shot out a stream of sticky string towards the large bird, who quickly dodged and then swooped down at weedle, smacking it with its wing. On contact the wing hit weedle and threw it at the base of a nearby tree. However, the Pokémon got right back up and shot something purple from the stinger on its head. When it noticed that its attack landed, weedle then proceeded with another string shot, this time wrapping around the bird's talon.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]The bird then shot into the air, dragging weedle along with it as it was still attached to its own string. JJ looked up at the sight and screamed weedle's name, running after the bird Pokémon carrying his own. They continued through the forest for some time while dusk was setting in around them. "It's okay, weedle! I'll save you!" JJ said, trying to run as fast as he could, but he was running out of breath quickly. Eventually, the bird stopped flying and turned around to JJ. Weedle, still holding on, trying to shoot more of that purple attack at the bird, but due to his contorted angle did not succeed. The bird was about to swoop down and attack JJ when a little ball of fire hit it in the side.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Nice hit, charmander!" Fay said as he and Niko entered the scene. JJ looked up at them, smiling. "Now, again!" The bird looked over at charmander is it took another ember to the face. "Now, aim for the string! Let's release weedle!" Charmander then hit the string holding weedle and the bird together, and as weedle proceeded to fall to the ground, JJ ran to try and catch it. Instead, a little brown creature got there first, softening weedle's landing.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Eevee had finally shown up. JJ, surprised to see his starter Pokémon, got down onto his knees and grabbed up eevee and weedle and hugged them.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I'm so glad you came back, eevee! I was really worried about you!" He said, giving his Pokémon a worried look. "Please don't go running off again, I didn't like that." [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Eevee looked back up at its trainer, clearly also regretting running off like it did. It then nuzzled JJ's shoulder to signify that it wouldn't do that again. Then they all looked up at the bird Pokémon, which was busy trying to fight charmander. JJ stood up and commanded weedle to use its purple attack again, which Niko corrected him by telling him that it was actually called poison sting. Weedle used the attack to redirect the attention of the bird, which Niko's pokédex revealed to be pidgeot. The Pokémon then opened up its wings and swooped down to attack JJ, eevee, and weedle.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]It was then that weedle leapt into the air to intercept pidgeot, and as it did it began to glow, lighting up the entire forest. What resulted was an entirely different Pokémon, which collided with pidgeot's beak and proceeded to fall back to the ground. Pidgeot then looked at JJ and his new Pokémon, and then flew off, not wishing to fight anymore.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]JJ walked over to weedle and picked it up. "Thanks, buddy, you saved our lives." Niko pulled out his pokédex again, pointing it at the new Pokémon.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Kakuna, the cocoon Pokémon. Almost incapable of moving, this Pokémon can only harden its shell to protect itself from predators."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Kakuna, eh?" JJ said, looking at the cocoon Pokémon. "Well, thanks kakuna! I appreciate your help. We're definitely going to beat Brock now!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Good going, JJ! Guess we found eevee, too." Fay said, looking over at JJ's other Pokémon. "Are you alright, eevee?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Eee!" The evolution Pokémon cooed, looking up at its trainer. JJ then brought it up into his other arm, cradling Kakuna in the other.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright guys, let's uh get back to the clearing. I think these two need to rest a bit. It's been a long day." JJ said, smiling as he looked down at his companions, new and old.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]The group went back to the clearing and, thanks to charmander, were able to get a fire going while Fay prepared some dinner with the materials they got at the farmer's market. JJ looked at his two Pokémon again after giving them some food.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Tomorrow we're going to uh have our first gym battle. We're at a natural disadvantage but I think we can win, right?" Kakuna smiled happily, eager to battle. Eevee...not as much. JJ looked over at it. "I know you're scared, eevee. I am too. Battling it isn't uh easy for me, either, since I'm also new to it. But if we believe in each other, I think we can win, and you can win, too." JJ smiled. Eevee looked at him for a moment with a blank stare, and then responded with a smile after a moment of thought. It seemed like JJ was making progress with his Pokémon, and that made him, Fay, and Niko happy.[/SIZE]

4. evanibble

evanibble Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽26.2
    [SIZE=12pt]Episode 5: Three debut battles: the Pewter Gym![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Niko, Fay, and JJ arrived in Pewter City around midday, ready to challenge their first gym. Previously, they spent the night in a clearing in the Viridian forest, just after JJ's weedle had evolved into kakuna in order to ward off a wild pidgeot. The route to Pewter City was still far enough away that it took nearly half a day to get there but, when they did, the gym battle could not come soon enough.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]As soon as the city came into view, JJ ran ahead of his friends to the Pokémon center. He wanted to heal up his Pokémon and then find out how to get to the gym. It was obvious to the rest of the group that he was more excited to finally challenge Brock than either of his companions. However, it occurred to Niko and Fay that of the three of them, he would have the hardest battle, since normal and bug types are naturally at a disadvantage against rock types.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]They shrugged it off, hoping that JJ's excitement would be enough to carry him to victory. After all, it does work for some trainers. Maybe JJ was one of them.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Excuse me, Nurse Joy, but could you point me to the Pokémon gym? I want to challenge Brock," JJ asked, handing over his pokéballs to the nurse.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Of course. It's pretty close to here. You just need to go up the street a couple of blocks and take a left and then an immediate right. It's pretty hard to miss at that point," Nurse Joy replied while putting the pokéballs in an automatic healer. She then handed them back to JJ as Niko and Fay arrived to heal up their Pokémon as well.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Before they went to the gym, the trainers grabbed a quick meal and talked about challenging the gym. Since there were three of them, all wanting to battle, they decided they needed to decide on an order in which they wanted to go. It wasn't terribly difficult, they figured that since Niko had only one Pokémon with which to battle Brock, he would go first, since–at least in theory–his battle would end the quickest. Then Fay would go, and JJ would go last. After finishing lunch, they got up and headed to the gym, thanking Nurse Joy on the way out.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]The Pewter City gym was enormous. Nurse Joy was right–it was very easy to spot. It looked like a giant boulder that was carved into at the bottom to make way for an entrance, as well as a few hole around the mid-section of it for windows and a sign that read "PEWTER CITY GYM." As the three boys walked up to the door, a trainer came running out with a pidgey in his arms, clearly not looking happy.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Ex-excuse me!" the young boy said as he pushed past JJ and Fay, nearly running into Niko. The three looked behind them as the trainer ran in the direction of the Pokémon center.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"What was that about?" JJ asked, looking a little concerned.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Guess the battle didn't go too well for him," Niko responded as they continued into the gym.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]It was pretty easy to tell that the gym leader used rock types, since that was the design of the field in the gym–a bunch of rocks laid around the room in a seemingly random fashion. The trainers walked around the room, confused as to where they needed to go. It was made pretty clear to them moments later, when a crowd of children ran over to them.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Hey! Are you here to challenge Brock?" one child asked. Niko nodded, smiling at the kid. "Well, he's healing up his Pokémon right now. He just finished with a match and won!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yeah, we noticed," JJ said, frowning a bit as he glanced back at the entrance to the gym, now closed.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"All three of us would like to challenge Brock, actually. Do you think he has time for three battles?" Fay asked the child in the front of the pack. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I don't know, he's been very busy lately, what with helping Dad out at the hospital."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Hospital...?" Niko asked.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yeah, our Dad is a Pokémon nurse. He takes care of sick Pokémon, and sometimes people."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Don't you mean Pokémon center?" Niko responded, a little confused. Then they heard a slightly older voice approaching from the opposite end of the gym.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Our Dad occasionally helps out Nurse Joy here in Pewter City. He actually is a travelling nurse, and goes all over the world," The boy said, walking up to them. "I'm Brock Jr. Pleasure to meet you guys," he said, holding out his hand. Niko, Fay, and JJ all shook it.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Brock Jr. looked to be not much older than, say, 12 years of age, but he was as tall as JJ and could easily be mistaken for someone a few years older than him. He had spiky brown hair and narrow eyes, with a darkened complexion to complete the look that Niko had seen in the gym pamphlet. His voice was also nearly as deep as theirs was.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Anyways, you three came to challenge our gym?" Brock asked. "Well, I just finished up with a match and could go for a few more rounds. Who wants to go first?" He looked at all three of the new trainers once before Niko raised his hand. "Alright, Niko was it? How many Pokémon do you have? How many badges?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Uh, I have one Pokémon and no badges. None of us have badges actually," Niko responded.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"And Fay and I have uh two Pokémon each," JJ said, piping in.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright, no worries Niko, we can have a one versus one battle. Are you ready?" Niko nodded his head, albeit a little nervously. "Great, let's get started then!" Brock said, running off to the far end of the battlefield. Fay, JJ, and the children went into the stands on the east end, and Niko went to the opposite end of the field, which was closer to where they had all been standing previously.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"This will be a one versus one Pokémon battle against challenger Niko from Pallet Town," the judge directed. "The first Pokémon to faint will be the loser of the match. Any questions?" The judge turned to both Brock and Niko. Both shook their head, indicating they were ready. "Alright, then let the battle begin!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright onix, let's get this started!" Brock exclaimed, throwing out a pokéball containing a large snake-like creature covered in boulders. Niko shuddered at the giant Pokémon staring down at him. He had never seen anything so big before.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"R-right, bulbasaur! I choose you!" Niko tossed out his only Pokémon, who came out and looked back at him. "This is our first gym battle! Are you ready?" Bulbasaur nodded decisively, giving Niko a little bit of hope that they might be able to pull this off. "Then let's make this a battle to remember! Vine whip!" [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Bulbasaur jumped forward, releasing two vines from the bulb on his back as he landed. The vines barely reached onix, who retaliated with a swipe of its tail to block the attack. Niko frowned. He suddenly realized this might be a longer battle than he expected. Brock then ordered onix to use tackle. The rock snake Pokémon then lowered its head close to the ground and slithered right towards bulbasaur, who was barely able to get out in time. Niko then commanded another vine whip, which successfully hit onix in the face, causing the giant Pokémon to crash into the ground.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Nice dodge, Niko, but we aren't through yet. Onix! Use rock throw!" Onix then whipping its tail towards a nearby rock protruding out of the ground, and smacked in bulbasaur's direction. This time the seed Pokémon could not evade in time, and was hit in the side by the rock. Bulbasaur skidded across the dirt-covered floor of the gym, right in front of Niko.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"We can't give up yet, can you get up?" Niko asked, bending down to look at his exhausted Pokémon.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Bulb...bulba!" Bulbasaur affirmed, standing back on his four legs. Both trainer and Pokémon turned back towards onix.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright bulbasaur, let's start off with a tackle! Aim for the head!" Bulbasaur ran right for onix, who did not seem to move for the duration of the attack. Brock knew that onix could endure it. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]As bulbasaur was getting closer to onix, Niko then ordered a vine whip right on the head. Bulbasaur did as told, but onix was faster. It quickly grabbed the vine and spun bulbasaur around, throwing it across to the west end of the gym. Niko clenched his teeth, but when bulbasaur got back up, he looked around at the rocks on the field, and got an idea.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Bulbasaur, grab onto the closest rock with vine whip! Then pull yourself towards it!" Niko yelled. His Pokémon wrapped its vines around a nearby rock and pulled itself towards the object. "Now swing off of it onto another one!" Bulbasaur did as told, nearly missing the next closest rock. "Okay, we can do better, now do it again!" Bulbasaur kept going. "And again!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"What's Niko doing?" JJ asked, curious as to this surprise tactic. Fay was rubbing his chin, also pondering the newfound strategy.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I think he is trying to build momentum, but I'm not sure what for. It seems like a silly tactic."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright onix, smack down the rocks! Let's break this strategy!" Brock directed. Onix then slashed its tail around, shattering any rocks it could find. But it was too late. Bulbasaur was now moving from rock to rock fast enough that it no longer needed them.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Bulbasaur! Leap onto onix's head! And don't give in!" Bulbasaur then launched itself into the air towards the rock snake, successfully landing on its head. As onix was trying to shake it off, bulbasaur was gripping on the horn on onix's head, but barely so. "Now, vine whip! And again!" Niko screamed as bulbasaur slashed at onix's eyes and face with the twin vines. Eventually onix seemed to have enough, and bulbasaur was thrown onto the ground. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Onix also collapsed, clearly exhausted from the fight. As was bulbasaur, but the seed Pokémon collapsed second. Niko had won.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Onix is unable to battle, bulbasaur is the winner. The victory goes to Niko from Pallet Town!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Niko ran over to his Pokémon and skidded on his knees to hug it. "We did it buddy! I'm so proud of you!" he said, a single tear running down his face. Bulbasaur looked up at his trainer and smiled.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Bulb...ahhh."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Niko, congratulations, you have received the boulder badge as proof of your victory here today," Brock said, reaching into the pocket of his cargo pants and handing over a small gray badge in the shape of an octagon. Niko grabbed it and then held it in his fist for a moment, overjoyed that he was able to win his first gym battle. "Now, let me heal onix up, and then I'll battle..." Brock paused, looking at Fay and JJ.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I'll go next," Fay said. Brock nodded, and ran back to his end of the field to go heal his Pokémon. "Congrats, Niko! That's incredible. I didn't think that momentum strategy would work!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Thanks Fay. To be honest, neither did I!" Niko said, chuckling a little. "It was just impulse, I guess."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Well, it definitely worked!" JJ said as the two walked back into the stands. Fay then went to the same end of the field Niko had been on, ready for his own match.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Brock had returned, now holding two pokéballs. "Alright Fay, two on two?" Fay nodded. "Then let's begin. Geodude! I choose you!" Brock threw out a pokéball containing an unfamiliar Pokémon. It was a rock, about a foot or so in diameter, with two arms with fisted hands protruding from what seemed to be its head.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I see," Fay said as he examined the geodude. "Let's go charmander!" out of the pokéball came Fay's lizard Pokémon. "Use ember!" Charmander blew a series of small flames at the rock Pokémon, who responded by grabbing the embers with its outstretched hands.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Geodude, use tackle!" Brock commanded as his Pokémon rushed at charmander.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Dodge it, charmander! Remember what I taught you!" Charmander nodded at his trainer as he jumped out of the way, albeit a little too early, as geodude changed course and slammed into the little lizard Pokémon. Fay then ordered it to use ember, up close and in geodude's face. This attack seemed to land, with the rock Pokémon gripping its head as it tried to put out the embers. "Now, use tackle!" Charmander took a few steps backward and then ran at geodude, hitting its opponent square in the face with its shoulder. Geodude hovered back a few feet, clearly damaged by the barrage of attacks.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright geodude, now use mega punch!" Brock yelled out. Geodude's fist glowed, and it shot like a bullet at charmander.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Dodge it now!" Fay called out, and his Pokémon was able to evade just in time. "Now, use ember!" Charmander unleashed a flurry of little embers at geodude's right side, enveloping the rock Pokémon in flames. Then geodude crashed onto the ground, down and out.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Geodude is unable to battle, charmander wins. Brock will now use his second Pokémon," the judge turned to the gym leader as he sent out onix again.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Onix, use rock throw!" Brock said as onix smacked one of the few remaining rocks at charmander who, now pretty tired, barely got out of the way. "Alright, use tackle then!" Brock commanded, and his rock snake Pokémon slithered across the ground and hit charmander hard enough to launch it into a nearby wall.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Charmander is unable to battle, Fay will now send out his second Pokémon," the judge turned to Fay.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Mankey, come on out!" Fay said as he threw out the pokéball containing the pig monkey. "Let's start off with a karate chop!" mankey charged at onix, its hand glowing white. As it got closer, it leapt into the air and came crashing down onto onix, who retaliated by lifting its head fast enough to hit mankey in return. The pig monkey Pokémon fell to the ground and struggled to get back up. "Mankey you can do this, get up!" Fay commanded, a hint of concern in his voice.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Gee, this should be an interesting fight. Fay has the advantage but it seems that Brock isn't letting up at all," JJ examined, pondering the battle. Niko looked over at him, and then down at the children in the rows in front of them. They were all cheering for Brock. No surprise there–they looked like his siblings, or friends of his.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright mankey, let's go with another karate chop, this time at its midsection!" Fay ordered. Mankey ran forward again, but onix got in his way as it slammed its head into the ground in hopes of hitting the pig monkey. When he failed, Fay commanded mankey to leap onto its head and use karate chop there instead. Mankey obeyed, and slammed its glowing hand onto the rock snake's forehead. Onix roared in pain as mankey jumped off its head and used karate chop on its midsection as originally intended. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Brock stood there in silence, watching to see if onix was able to get back up. It certainly tried, but fell back to the ground, shaking the gym in the process.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Onix is unable to battle! Fay from Pallet Town is the winner!" the judge called out. Brock and Fay then walked to the middle of the field, having returned both of their Pokémon and thanking them for the hard fought battle. The gym leader then pulled out another badge from his pockets and handed it to Fay.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Thank you for the battle, Brock. I really enjoyed it!" Fay exclaimed, pinching the badge between two fingers and smiling a little.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"My pleasure, Fay. Your Pokémon look well taken care of. Keep it up, and I think you'll go far in the Indigo League," Brock then turned to JJ. "Your turn, right?" [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yes, I'm ready," JJ looked determined now. He wanted to fight Brock more than any of his friends. The gym leader ran back to his healing station for a second time while JJ walked to his side of the field. Within moments both were ready once again.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright, this will be a two versus two battle again." Brock yelled out in JJ's direction as the judge then lifted both arms indicating that the battle was ready to start. "Geodude, come on out!" Brock said, letting out his first rock Pokémon.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Ah yeah, geodude," JJ then threw out his own Pokémon, "Kakuna, I choose you!" Brock gave him a curious look.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Kakuna eh? Interesting choice. This'll be fun, I think. Geodude, use mega punch!" the rock Pokémon rushed at kakuna with a glowing fist as JJ asked his Pokémon to use harden in return. Both attacked collided, and kakuna flew backwards past JJ. Geodude, on the other hand, didn't seem as damaged. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Are you alright bud?" JJ asked as he looked over at his Pokémon. Kakuna nodded and hopped back onto the field. "Then use string shot! Let's try and immobilize it," the cocoon Pokémon then shot out string and wrapped it around geodude's arm. Kakuna then began to twist its body left and right as it tried to swing geodude around. However, it was clear that geodude was much heavier than both JJ and kakuna had believed. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Geodude, mega punch!" Brock commanded. Geodude then pulled its arm backward, therefore pulling kakuna forward. "And...now!" Geodude then slammed its fist into kakuna, knocking it into the ground. The cocoon Pokémon skidded on the ground and into JJ, covering the floor of the gym in a cloud of dust.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Kakuna is unable to battle! Geodude wins. JJ may now choose his second Pokémon!" the judge directed. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"JJ didn't even attack geodude. What's going on?" Niko wondered, troubled at the state of the battle.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Not sure but, again, he is at a huge disadvantage already," Fay responded, showing the same look of concern.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Alright eevee, I choose you!" JJ said, calling out his starter Pokémon. The evolution Pokémon looked up at its trainer, who smiled in an attempt to encourage it. "You can do this, eevee." JJ said, nodding a little with a smile. "Let's use tackle."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Eevee ran up at geodude, who quickly dodged and slammed its fist into eevee's side, sending it into the wall below the stands and right next to the judge. Everyone looked over at eevee curiously, waiting to see if it got back up. After a couple moments, it did, albeit barely.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Yes eevee! We got this!" JJ said, as he tacitly told eevee what to do. It then kicked up some dust from the ground to cover itself, and the field nearby it. Geodude examined the dust cloud to see where its opponent would emerge. JJ waited a minute, and as the dust cloud dissipated, eevee was gone. But there was a hole in the ground next to the judge. "NOW eevee!" JJ commanded as eevee popped out of the ground under geodude, knocking the rock Pokémon into the air. "And tackle it as it lands onto the ground!" the evolution Pokémon then ran into geodude as it was a foot off of the ground, and both Pokémon landed on the ground. Only eevee got back up.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Geodude is unable to battle, eevee wins!" the judge said. Brock then sent out onix for the third time. Eevee looked intimidated by the size of the rock snake Pokémon, who once again dove into the ground for a tackle attack as Brock had commanded. Eevee could not evade in time, and was sent flying right into JJ, causing both to fall to the ground. "Uh, now eevee is unable to battle. And the winner is gym leader Brock!" the judge exclaimed.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Fay and Niko stood up as JJ sat on the ground cradling eevee. He looked completely shell-shocked. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"JJ, you fought excellently. I totally didn't see that dig coming." Brock said, holding out his hand to pick JJ up. The gesture wasn't returned as the defeated trainer looked down at his Pokémon. Fay and Niko had finally approached their friend and sat next to him. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]JJ then stood up, looked at Brock, and walked out of the gym, slouching his shoulders a little as he did so. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"You two should go and see what's up with him," Brock gestured after a couple of minutes. "And when you're done, you're all welcome to come by for dinner with our family. I think Dad will be home tonight." [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Will do, and thanks, Brock," Fay said while nodding. Niko then motioned him to join him as he walked out of the gym.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]JJ was sitting at a nearby bench with eevee and kakuna flanking him on both sides. He seemed to be talking to them, but Niko couldn't quite make out what he was saying. They all looked up as they saw the two trainers approaching. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Hey JJ, you alright?" Niko asked, sitting down next to kakuna. He rubbed the back of the cocoon Pokémon's head in an attempt to comfort it. It seemed to be working, as kakuna didn't try to retaliate with a poison sting.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"I'm okay, I uh guess," JJ responded, looking back at his friend. "I just don't think I'm cut out for this. I mean, you both had a much easier time beating Brock. I barely got past his first Pokémon."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Don't count yourself out, you had one setback," Fay reassured his friend, sitting down next to eevee and rubbing its back. Eevee purred a little to indicate how pleased it was. "We all have them."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"True. I just think maybe I'm not destined to compete in the Pokémon league. Maybe I should try something else instead," JJ said, standing up to face his friends. "I've talked it over with eevee and kakuna, and I've decided to give up on the gym challenge, but I won't give up on being a trainer. I still want to travel with you guys, and see the world and meet new Pokémon. I want to keep training and be on this adventure with both of you," JJ said with resolve. Niko got up and patted him on the shoulder.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"We would love to have you come with us," Niko said with a warm smile. "You're our friend, and we will make sure that you be the best trainer that you can possibly be!"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"And we'll find you a new goal. Together," Fay said, patting JJ's other shoulder. Eevee and kakuna cheered as well as the five came together in a group hug. Fay, who normally doesn't hug others, even agreed to this. "Now, let's head back to the gym. Brock said that we could stay for dinner."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]----------------------------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"Wow! That's uh awesome!" JJ exclaimed, and the three headed back to the gym as the sun began to set on Pewter City.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"Well, so my son tells me that you three are taking on the gym challenge," the elder Brock asked the three boys mid-bite into their food. JJ was the first to respond.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Err, only two of us. I decided to not challenge gyms," both Brocks looked at each other, the elder one chuckling a little. He then looked back at JJ.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Trust me when I say that I know what it's like to change goals. I used to be the gym leader here, but I decided that it wasn't really my calling. I then tried out Pokémon breeding, and when I didn't feel that was right, I then got into nursing, and look where I am now. I travel the world helping people and Pokémon. I also got to travel with one of the greatest trainers I've ever met, so I'd say you're still on the right path, as long as you believe in yourself and never give up. That's what my friend told me."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]The three boys looked at each other for a moment. It didn't immediately dawn on them, but looking back at this interaction, they would later realize who they were actually talking to.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Well, thanks uh Brock. I really appreciated that," JJ said, looking back down at his food. He then rubbed his short, yet curly, blonde hair out of nervousness.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Anytime. So, where are you boys headed next?"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"We don't exactly know yet. I guess the next gym...?" Niko asked, shrugging his shoulders.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Oh...haha!" Brock started laughing again, as if recalling a funny joke. "You boys will love the Cerulean gym. I also used to travel with the leader there. At least, I think she's still the leader. Either way, please give Misty my regards if you run into her."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Will do Brock," Fay said as he finished his meal. "And again, thank you so much for the food. It means a lot."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Anything for aspiring young trainers like yourselves. You know, you two have a real shot at doing well in the Indigo League, from what my son told me about your battles. Niko, that momentum strategy is crazy as hell, yet you somehow pulled it off," Brock nodded, looking directly at the young trainer. "Reminds me of something my friend would do. Keep it up."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]"Thank you Brock," Niko said, also finishing his meal. The three trainers stood up from their chairs and headed out of the gym and back to the Pokémon center, where they would rest for the night until resuming their journey in the morning, this time for Cerulean City.[/SIZE]