1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Quests

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Ryan, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Many, many games have quests and side quests; however, I've noticed that many of them tend to be the same old "fetch X", "kill Y", "talk to Z" with very little plot. What games do you know of that break the mold, and have fleshed out quests with a focus on plot?

The first that comes to mind for me is Runescape. I've never played a game with so many fun and plot driven quests. The second is easily Witcher 3. You'll be hard pressed to find a side quest in that game that doesn't have plot or lore behind it, and it really helps with muh immersion.

Skyrim also has its fair share of great quests, but it does have a decent bit of "fetch X/kill Y/talk to Z" quests.

2. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I think of Pokémon Ranger, it helps make you seem like a real ranger as you have to save the world without capturing any Pokémon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    That's actually a pretty hard question. o~o Most games I've played have very generic quests like the ones you mentioned, and I think as close as I got to 'unique' quests was having to get from one end of the map to another while dodging obstacles and avoiding enemies. Nothing plot heavy involving that; just something a bit different compared to the usual. That's probably considered generic also though, but I don't think the range of games I've played have gotten any closer to actual fulfilling side quests.

Heard some good things about Runescape so it's interesting to know that it has an interesting set of quests! Honestly, I've encountered interesting side quests so rarely that my mind can't even come up with any ideas for them. What are the ones in Runescape like? Are they the usual kill X, hunt Y type of quests, but with more story behind it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Seprix

Seprix Patron Sint

PokéPoints:
    ₽115.8
    I hate Quests. They feel like cheap ways to lengthen a game for little/no effort. I have yet to find a good Quest system. They're all automated reskins of "do this thing", "kill this guy", or "fetch this item". How you implement a good Quest system without it being instantly stale, I don't know.

5. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    So I'm going to disregard any quest for any game that directly advances the game's plot, because I don't think that's the point of the thread. Quests can have an isolated storyline on their own, yes, but I'm going to just leave out quests that contribute to the main story as I talk about this.

I've rarely played games with sidequests of any kind at all. The first one that comes to mind with a true quest system was Dragon Quest IX. The quests were generic, yes, but they were entertaining, and the fetch quests were thankfully repeatable (since some of them reward the player with items that are generally hard to acquire otherwise - good for the game's lengthy crafting system). There were some that tied into other characters, but more for a sense of closure than anything else. I didn't dislike it by any means, though. There's also the Etrian Odyssey games, but the sidequests there are fairly straightforward too, and usually unlock certain areas - or, in some cases, bosses.

But it really doesn't matter to me. After all, it's just one more thing to do in the game regardless, and gives a sense of accomplishment, even if small. It doesn't matter to me what you name them - fetch quests, things to do, new characters and areas - the end result is the same.

Except for Kinstones in LoZ: The Minish Cap. Those were just awful.

6. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I agree with this. The Ranger games did the questing right as it was optional, but oh so worth it to do. Not to mention I felt like a Ranger to just help Pokémon and people out.

But I also feel I have to agree with this. I loathe, loathe fetch questing and in games like Skyrim this gets old fast.

Seprix likes this.
  7. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    I think I played Skyrim for about 20 minutes to an hour, I never got into the side quests because I didn't know why I had to do them. I wanted to thief and kill people, not run and get someone X item or something.

8. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    I like sidequests when they're done well, and Xenoblade Chronicles X really sticks out in my mind when it comes to really well-done sidequests. Sure, there are your typical "get x amount of x item" or "defeat x amount of monsters/defeat this one strong monster" missions, but those are actually entirely optional, and the game doesn't really push you to take those on at all. The actual sidequests come in two different kinds- basic quests, and character quests. The basic quests actually give a lot of details and insight into the world and story of the game, and there are many sidequest chains that are really well-developed. Hell, one of the basic quests has you fight the actual strongest monster in the game to get the good ending of the quest. There are multiple endings of some quests too, which actually influence other quests and such.

Then there are the character quests- fully voice-acted sidequests based around the 18 playable characters in the game. There's at least one quest for each character, with basically all of them having multiple quests and storylines of their own. They're really interesting, and give more of a "slice of life" feel, as you're sort of just learning about the character as they go about their business. There are fights and level requirements and stuff, which can make some difficult to unlock, but they're all worth it. Plus, as an added bonus, you learn each character's special attack(s) to use as your own when you complete their character missions, some of which are really powerful (looking at you, Blossom Dance), so that's also added incentive to complete them all.

In my opinion, quests like the ones in Xenoblade X are what quests in other games should be like. Engaging, mini-stories of their own that expand upon the given universe and setting of the game.

9. 「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」

「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」 Dᴇᴀᴛʜ's Dɪᴘʟᴏᴍᴀᴛ

HeartGold
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Heart Scale ★★
    Mostly Online games like AdventureQuestWorlds or Eldarya tend to have quests. Mostly fantasy games too lol. But in a game that is pretty constant and movinv like AQW. They are very useful and i would have a hard time progressing in AQW without extra quests.

10. Morgaine

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    The thieving is the best part of Skyrim. The Thieves guild is such a happy place as well. I have to admit I actually liked that questline.

Cadbberry likes this.
  11. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    I really don't know anything about those kinds of quests or that group. If we get a switch and the game and I will have to look into that guild!

12. Morgaine

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    The guild is hiding in... Talos, the name is slipping, in RIFTEN. In the south-east corner of the map! Have fun with the questline! I love the Thieves guild a lot.

#12 May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Cadbberry likes this.
  13. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Thank you so much that description, that makes me hyped to hopefully get the game! I love being sneaky :P

14. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    Every Rune factory game. Some of the quests are quite entertaining, like the "bucket" quest in 4, or the mirage quests for Mana in 2. Another example is the megaman battle network series. Some of the quests helped you go towards achievments. What about KoToR 1 & 2? So many lore driven side quests in those games.