1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What Kind Of Worlds Do You Like Writing?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by UnstoppableGamer, Mar 18, 2017.

1. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    Based on Sheep's favorite character type thread. What kind of worlds do you enjoy building? Fantasy? Sci Fi? Or do you not like building a world?

I personally see this as one of my best skills, or maybe its not. I don't know. Anyway, I enjoy building fantasy worlds over scientific worlds because I feel that I have more leeway. However, that doesn't mean that I won't build a sci fi or modern world. On terms of what kind of fantasy I'll write, I'll actually write both Urban and Medieval fantasies. So, those are the kinds of worlds I enjoy building.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,913.7
    I am a sucker for cool creatures, epic quests, and worlds filled with lore and secrets, so I have a soft spot for fantasy and fantastic sci-fi (in the vein of Star Wars)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Same. Though, I'm also beginning to branch out towards the mystery genre somewhat.

4. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I really love taking a canon established world and building upon it. That's how I got my start with my 350k+ word Pokémon AU. I tend to make them a bit darker in some places, a bit more lighthearted in others. I love writing those worlds that I can build upon.

So I really don't have a genre... I could do this with anything. Though I would love to do this with sci-fi more often.

WavePearl likes this.
  5. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I love to write convoluted huge universes of worlds that are all connected but not in the most obvious way. And the worlds don't have to match, they can have scifi on one planet and tribal magic on another.
    Then I inevitably trip my self up and get tangled in the lines of canon I've created and I end up dropping the whole thing hahah.

6. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Fir sure fantasy or Sci-fi, I like to think about what could exist in that world, build on ideas and create something new. I want them to be out of the elements I know since what I know is boring.

7. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    Fantasy for sho. Mostly because I just prefer fantasy, but I enjoy thinking and writing about how would the different societies develop if they had magic, like how would they fight their wars. What would their normal daily routine be? How would they interact with other nations? How would it impact them as a whole?
    (it is times I wonder if I should get into sociology instead of cosmetics)
    Though I definitely enjoy putting a more realistic spin on whatever world I'm writing. It does mean more research, but it's worth it because the world feels more real then a fantastical dreamland.

8. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I adore complicated worlds. Ones that are not clear and have many gears running in the background. This is not to say that I prefer Sci-fi, I just enjoy complicated and realistic narratives and world design. Magic can be very complicated if you can write it right. I love worlds that explore the complicated aspects of their world and don't leave anything out.

I also like building off ideas that are already present. I am very good and understanding what would be realistic in a world and what would be stretching the lines. Because of this skill, I like building off existing worlds in a way that I think would logically flow.

9. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,634.9
    DRAGONS!!!!!

10. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Wait, are we talking worlds or genres?

If we're talking genres, then for me it's pretty much fantasy exclusively. If we're talking worlds, well...

I like painting thorough pictures of areas or landscapes. I take more joy in describing an area or location, than I would for describing something else. Part of it is that I am not very good at describing features of people very well (especially facial), but a larger part is that, when describing places (buildings, landscapes, nature, skies, and so on), there is a lot more freedom to paint things - adding, editing, going into more detail, and so on. I'll spend 2 or 3 paragraphs just describing one place before going on to the next thing, and if I want to describe multiple places at once (such as to set the starting scene for a story), it will be that much longer.

World-building is fun.

11. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    Fantasy, sci-fi or angsty-gothy romance...I suck at writing them though ha ha! For some bizarre reason, I like to make giant storylines that weave into other stories I've written and half the time I don't explain how the two or three are connected...I also am a fan of mystery.
    #MissingNo

12. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I usually prefer writing already existing worlds such as the Pokémon world as I'm not creative enough to be able to create a new world of my own. Other than that, I also like 'normal' or 'real life' worlds. I sometimes like to mix things up - I sometimes fit characters from a fantasy setting into a normal life and vice versa.