1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Character Designs

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by UnstoppableGamer, Mar 23, 2017.

1. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    How do you come up with your character designs? Do you just draw them as they come to mind? Or do you base them off of other characters?

I try to keep a lot of characters original, however that results in a looooot of one face syndrome. So, I usually try to base hairstyles off of other characters and face shapes off of different art styles. How about you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    An Evil Wizard likes this.
  2. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I literally made a new OC a few days ago because someone told me to draw on the spot. I ended up making a cute little OC. I usually just let my mind move my pencil, and then you have a new OC.

To avoid "same face syndrome" I usually experiment with drawing new emotions or even go into my secondary art style. It's hard to think of expression though wothout feeling like something's off. (or feeling guilty because YOU made them cry.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MetaKnightmareUltra

PokéPoints:
    ₽147.6
    if you're referring to a drawing style, then i came up with one on my own.

(i dunno how to upload it then)

4. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    Most my characters were designed when I was much younger and over the years have been refined and simplified (for the better.) and given more cohesive colour schemes instead of 40 shades on one character haha.
    My most recent characters (aka a few years old now) have came from abstract doodles whilst I've been on the phone at work.
    Doodlebop:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    'designed' whilst on the phone at work when I was doodling little cute alien designs without much thought and I ended up with Doodlebop! Her name is also because she was a doodle.
    Illuminyati:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    doodle whilst I was on the phone and was idly doodling a charm that I put on my aunt's charm bracelet the night before which was the illuminati symbol

But I've not designed a human like character for a long while because I've kept my core group that I've had for years:
    [​IMG]

Mandriel and An Evil Wizard like this.
  5. MetaKnightmareUltra

PokéPoints:
    ₽147.6
    illuminyati would make Bill Cipher proud.

AeroHail likes this.
  6. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    They could be besties. Only not. Because Bill Cipher is terrifying. XD

7. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    I just sort of draw. TBH, I usually use a avatar creator/dress up game to kind of get a visual to how I want them when I don't have a clear idea. Then I'll draw them and go through a lot of design change until I find the right design. It's pretty fun, but my sketchbook is mostly filled with OCs that I'll never use ...that and angsty art that features a lot of masks...

I don't like writing without a character design though, it's much easier to imagine them and thus describe them.

8. An Evil Wizard

An Evil Wizard The Ironic Mage

Chef Boyardee
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.7
    Fightinium Z ★★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Beedrillite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Pretty much most of my characters come from random doodles I make while I'm bored. My most recent character, Desty, is the product of being bored and watching weird Youtube videos at 10:30 PM.
    This is the sketch I made.
    [​IMG]

And this is the colored version (Might make him less purple later.)
    [​IMG]

I really don't use my OCs. I want to sometime in the future, but for now they're just character designs.

9. brsajo

brsajo Idioddish

Sproot
    (Oddish)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,218.2
    Like, all of my characters are fan OCs of an existing species and most of them are ponies so when it comes to character design, usually all I have to worry about is the hair and personality. The hair, I just sort of do a mix of making it up and using real life hair as a reference and exaggerating it so it looks more lively. The personality is pretty easy since it's usually what inspired me to make the character in the first place, it's just a matter of embellishing it over time.

10. MetaKnightmareUltra

PokéPoints:
    ₽147.6
    but bill can play piano!

11. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I usually start by drawing a Pokémon I base them off (my main OC's basis is Giratina, obviously), whether because I like the 'Mon's backstory, potential, or just plain design. After that, I usually end up getting inspiration from some weird place and writing a few drabbles about them before I actually draw them for the first time. It's odd, but that's how I came up with my original OC. After that, I usually refine their look by drawing from other fandoms with character elements that match mine, then adding those as a private joke. I also try to add a few odd quirks in the drawing, whether it be that they are exhibiting a nervous tic or showing an emotion they usually wouldn't. I get a much better feel for who they are in the end.
    #MissingNo

12. 「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」

「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」 Dᴇᴀᴛʜ's Dɪᴘʟᴏᴍᴀᴛ

HeartGold
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Heart Scale ★★
    I draw them as how they come or based on a thing I like. For example my first Character Sin's marking's are based on a Vocaloid song called Matryoshka!

13. Kinku

Kinku Time to Draw

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.5
    Amulet Coin ★★★
    For character designs, I usually try to mix-and-match things when I get their personality down. What inspires my characters are usually music, creatures, or stories.

14. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I usually just randomly start drawing, adding random effects, slowly changing things in and out. It takes me a lot of time to decide I like a design. I often can't decide or don't enjoy my own designs so I purchase my designs from others

15. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Sometimes I just doodle stuff, and it ends up turning into character that I just seem to really enjoy. Most of my characters are somewhat influenced by other designs, and sometimes I will draw characters without even noticing how close they look to other characters.

I also like drawing different expressions on their faces in order to make them unique, and also to show their personality. I don't really like a lot of bland characters.

And design wise, I keep things rather simplistic, although I do toy around with character designs a lot.

16. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I try and draw my characters how I visualise them in my mind, though they usually don't turn out looking how I pictured them. I'm working on overcoming drawing most of my characters with the same or similar faces.

17. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I usually use some kind of dollmaker and then when I draw I change things slightly to better fit my vision of them, however, I do need a reference to work with and that is why I use dollmakers to get a rough idea of what I want.

18. Nyanja

Nyanja › The fairy king ›

BEN!
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.4
    Crown of Valor
    This is going to sound weird but it comes through my dreams to be honest with yeah. Normally my dreams give me plot ideas and the character personality trait. Once in awhile I'm given a clear vision of the character but other times thanks to the small hints that were given to me, I just doodle and try to draw them out based on their personality.

19. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    For me, it can be as simple as picking up a pencil and doodling. I try not to copy characters that already exist, but I do base a few things off of some characters. Once that's done, pretty much everything else about the character just comes to me (like the personality, name, and all that fun stuff).

20. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I don't think that is weird at all. I get a lot of inspiration from dreams as well. Never whole characters, but simple things. Like that Marina, the girl in my Discord Avatar (Aero Art), has red hair.

Nyanja likes this.