1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Do you associate people with their avatars?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Achromatic, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Title. Do ya?

I do, quite often. It really gives me an image of this person in my head. It's kinda silly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Sonic Ramon likes this.
  2. MetaKnightmareUltra

PokéPoints:
    ₽147.6
    oh god lots of times. especially with Wolfey

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I do all the time. Which is why I was kinda irked when you changed yours, but I get used to it. By the way, love the avi, Ben!

so how many people here associate me with hetalia trash show of hands

4. Drew Blackstone

PokéPoints:
    ₽58.7
    Yes.
    It's a good thing my friend uses the same or similar profile pictures everywhere or I wouldn't know it was him.

5. An Evil Wizard

An Evil Wizard The Ironic Mage

Chef Boyardee
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.7
    Fightinium Z ★★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Beedrillite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I do most of the time.

6. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    Yeah pretty much! I'm always sort of lost when people change their icons to something totally different and I'm like "but my headcanon of you!??!"

Which is why I'm always hesitant to change my icons on sites. I've had the same on on tumblr for 4-5 years now.

But I do want to change my one here though. But I haven't decided what to.

Kimochiru likes this.
  7. Seprix

Seprix Patron Sint

PokéPoints:
    ₽115.8
    I do this all of the time. When people change their avatars, I get mildly annoyed for half an hour.

8. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I do quite often, i am terrible at names but pictures I remember often.

9. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I usually do. That's why I was mildly confused when Ben changed his.

I also have a tendency to think that's what you actually look like... I always have to remind myself that Skittle is in fact not Japan from Hetalia.

kindred, Drew Blackstone and AeroHail like this.
  10. ~Nova~

~Nova~ Birby Friend

PokéPoints:
    ₽284.5
    I do. Everyone else who does probably hates me because I usually change my avatar every month. It takes me a day or two to associate someone with a new avatar, though.

11. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    I somewhat associate people with their avatars, but not a ton. It's a combination of the name and the avatar for me. I do, to some degree, picture people in my head as whatever their avatar of choice is though.

Kimochiru likes this.
  12. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Do I? Yes, intentionally. Not always with the avatar that person is currently using - perhaps more with a past avatar - but I definitely do this by choice.

I have to associate people with some sort of quality that I remember about them. I deliberately don't want to try and segment people either by appearance or voice, since those are physical traits, and not things I want to remember people by - they have a lot of power (at least for me), and I want to avoid that. I much rather remember people by their mental attributes, like choice of speech, personality, actions, that sort of thing. If I want to try to match a face to the name, I use the person's avatar - or at least an avatar that person has used before.

This means that, based on that standard, I perceive Wolfey as being flamboyant and LL-obsessed - and therefore meme-loving. Coincidentally, I'm completely correct.

kindred and Beffie like this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I do sometimes, but I know people aren't their avatars of course. I'm glad to know most of you will associate me with Lockon <3

Sonic Ramon likes this.
  14. Sonic Ramon

PokéPoints:
    ₽10.6
    Haha. I do that so often. xD

15. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    lmao yes. Especially if the person uses the same avatar/character in their avatar often... I start to visualize them as their avatar. Harder to for people who change forumsets a lot, though. Those people (if I've never seen a photo of them) I tend to just imagine as blanks. x'D

16. kindred

kindred Collector

friend
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽205.8
    very much so, so if someone changes their avatar often i get..mildly annoyed. i bet a lot of people here think of me as Star, lol but that's flattering~ and i'm sure everyone on pc think of me as dan and phil omg

17. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    Yeah, and half the time I associate people more with the avatars then the name, so when they change them I'm like 'OH MY GOD THEY DISAPPEARED' and am more than mildly irked for a while. I also (somehow) get irked with myself if I change my avatar, which I did and it was SO WEIRD but I like this avatar better anyways.
    #MissingNo

18. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    You do realize that if you ever switch your avatar from that edited Silver sprite, I will not recognize you ever again? Same goes for everyone else. I'm like 'who the hell are you and what did you do with my LV friends-oh wait'. And if people change their avatars on FF, I will never find them again because I NEVER look at the names.
    #MissingNo

19. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I associate everyone with their username and avatar. I just get stuck on it and it causes an image of them to form in my head. I get stuck on that image and then end up mistaking their gender based on that perception. For example, I thought eclipse was a girl when I first met them. All because I got that image stuck in my head based off of their username and avatar. I can read people in real life but not over the interwebs. @.@

20. Teddybear2345

Teddybear2345 Which is cooler, to be cool, or uncool?

PokéPoints:
    ₽529.7
    Rage Candy Bar ★★★Bicycle ★★Razz Berry ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Slowpoke Tail ★★★★
    Not so often as I used to...

Cause usually they are a 'trap' or other such variant of gender.
    Not to say I don't switch gender roles either lol

I am more with their display name to the person and not the avatar.