1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Favorite game genre!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Sheep, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    So there are tons and tons of games out there from varying genres--from puzzle to action to simulator games. Which is your favorite? Which do you tend to spend most time playing? And lastly, what's your favorite game from that particular genre? Discuss!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. An Evil Wizard

An Evil Wizard The Ironic Mage

Chef Boyardee
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.7
    Fightinium Z ★★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Beedrillite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    RPGs would have to be my favorite genre. Especially if the story is interesting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,871.5
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I generally lean towards RPG games, though I also spend a lot of time with survival sandbox games like Terraria and Minecraft.

4. kindred

kindred Collector

friend
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽205.8
    I really like sort of..turn based RPGS? But my absolute favorite is probably..whatever genre Sonic the Hedgehog is. I like those kinds of games.

5. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I usually like RPGs, both on console and PC, but puzzle games are a pretty good way to pass time.

6. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    Technically, Sonic's a platformer. He just moves too fast for you to even tell the platforms are even there. (I'm assuming you're talking about Genesis Sonic, by the way.)

I would choose either RPG games or rhythm games. RPGs are fun, calculated, and often come with above par stories. Meanwhile, rhythm games tend to be mesmerizing to me, and I love getting as high of a score as I can in those games! The replayability is outstanding!

kindred likes this.
  7. POKE

POKE Ace Trainer

Johnny Waffles
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.3
    Premier Ball ★
    Shooters (FPS) RPG, action, horror, racing with stunts

Game: Borderlands trilogy, Call Of Duty trilogy (except infinite warfare, bo3) Resident Evil 5, infamous trilogy except second son and a ton of others, typically 80 games xD

8. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    RPG, both action, and turn based. Puzzle games, management simulation games like keeping a shop, or bar. I have played a lot of genres and these are the ones I fall back on every time.

9. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Fantasy MMORPG are my favourite. Having a Class, Subclass, Skill Points, being able to fly, get your wing, PVP...

♥♥♥ L O V E - R P G ♥♥♥

10. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I have noticed that I tend towards RPGs, and thus they are my most favourite genre of game. They are also my least favourite genre of game.

There are a few reasons for this, but it largely depends on how the game is made and executed. Factors include ease of play, style, complexity of gameplay and/or mechanics, music, and so on. I tend to be rather picky with RPGs, and the easier, simpler, and/or quicker to pick up and understand they are, the better. It's difficult for me to describe my precise criteria for what I do and don't like, but that should give you a general idea of what I look for.

My favourite games out of all that I've played tend to be RPGs, but I am attached to a few visual novels as well.

11. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    3D platformssss, yasss! I'm also a sucker for a good hack 'n' slasher. In recent years, JRPGS have started to appeal to me as well, though I've only completed a handful, Pokémon excluded of course.

12. Dwlr

Dwlr Banned

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽14.3
    Blue Orb ★★★★★
    Since I disregard RPG as a genre since it really is all encompassing and not limited to the accepted definition of the genre since even in something like Frogger you're Playing the Role of Frogger in the Game thus making it a Role Playing Game. I'd default to Shooter though my favorite games aren't really part of the genre it is the genre that is the largest in my collection and one that has the most consistently liked titles when purchased.

For games from that genre I'd pick:
    -Borderlands 1 & 2 not the Pre-Sequel actually disliked that one quite a bit.
    -Resident Evil 4 though it's much more Survival Horror than Shooter and to a lesser degree Resident Evil 5 though the IMO it was too easy, provided too much ammo and the Stun Rod was far to strong with the exploitable AI.
    -Gears of War 1, 2, and 3 not Judgement or 4, while both had decent enough single player the multiplayer in both was severely lacking and that goes for Horde in 4 which is a complete mess and not the Horde I loved in Gears 2 or the Horde I enjoyed in Gears 3.
    -Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda the latter taking undeserved flak IMO from the expectations of the Mass Effect name being appended to it and I firmly believe if they desync'd it from the Mass Effect name and simply called it Andromeda cutting out the ties to Mass Effect except for maybe throwing in an N7 armor as an Easter Egg suit like they had in Deadspace it'd have done much better.
    -Deadspace 3
    -Fuze, really felt compelled to put this one here since I feel it was overlooked and vastly underrated with a decent enough Horde style mode for multiplayer and while it didn't excite me as it did before they hedged on the design I enjoyed it pretty well.
    -Resistance (series)
    -Metal Gear (series) particularly Metal Gear 2 despite not caring for Raiden himself.

13. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Poké Ball ★Dawn Stone ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Story-rich games are my favorite kinds of games to play. Whether those are shooters or turn-based RPGs, I get attached to games that are plot-driven. Some great plot driven games are the Final Fantasy series, and even Dark Souls I'd argue. I also enjoy stealth-based puzzle games and skillful platformers, like Ori and the Blind Forest, Wings of Vi, or even some classic Mario.

But of the story rich games I love the most right now, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the absolute best. That game has unparalleled interaction options, and different styles of play for different kinds of people. It's a great game, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

14. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    Does 'visual novel' count? I've been getting into that quite a bit recently. Simulation games are also fun.

15. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I really like puzzle games as they test you, but at the same don't require a whole lot of concentration. Of course, this entirely depends on the puzzle, though. I prefer games like sudoku and minesweeper that I can play on the go.

16. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    Very often do I get asked this question on DeviantArt. But my favorite genres are JRPG, Adventure, and Metroidvania. I just like exploration.