1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Let's talk to the audience for a moment... (4th wall breaking in fanfics)

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by JadeFox, Apr 4, 2017.

1. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Long title, but I'd like to see what kinds of opinions you guys have about the 4th wall in fanfics.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I think that the wall is there for a reason and shouldn't be broken if it is a serious story. Explain things later if you think that the readers might not understand what is going on.

If it is a comedy like the Emperor's New Groove, it is different, but even then I think that it interrupts the story if dome badly or too often.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MetaKnightmareUltra

PokéPoints:
    ₽147.6
    man, i should try that in my fanfic...

4. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I think it works better in TV shows but in fanfics, I am usually not a fan. It has never been done well in my opinion in the fanfics I've read.

5. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    It does work better in movies and cartoons, but it is often awkward in fanfics, mostly because it interrupts the flow of the story. Tastefully done, it can be very funny.

6. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    I never break the forth wall in any of my stories. It's there for a reason. I might lean on it every now and then, such as when Niles comments on Lux's tendency to win because it's like he's the main character or something. Other than those instances, I don't enjoy wall breaking unless it's a comedy or Disgaea.

7. Venom Wolf

Venom Wolf Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽38.1
    I'm not sure if I have ever seen fourth wall breaking done well in a fanfic. I've seen it done well in some books though, like Lemony Snicket or Philip Ardagh...although in those cases the author is a character in their own right.

8. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    In my opinion, the fourth wall is a thing that you should not break, tap at, or actually, even attempt to touch. It ends up annoying me if the fourth wall is broken in the middle of a story I'm enjoying, as it interrupts the flow. Character talking to reader, eg 'My name is ---- and I'm sending this letter out' or whatever is fine. It can even be hilarious. But something like randomly breaking the wall in a story feels unnecessary to me.
    Sorry, I have really strong opinions...
    #MissingNo

9. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Breaking the 4th wall to me is pretty stupid and a waste of time. However, if you can pull it off just right, it can actually be funny and clever. But most writers can't pull it off well, making the break look uncreative and awkward.

4th wall breaking can also be more acceptable in stories that have more of a "lighthearted" atmosphere, like my sister's fanfic. A 4th wall break there might seem okay, but in a darker story, don't even try it.

10. Aiko

Aiko Anti-Shadow Weapon

SS Egg #2
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.2
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    It depends how and when its used. If for comedic effect, im all for it. If the tone is very serious, then I see it as a cheap way to get some info out. I agree with the whole, it works better in cartoons idea as well.

11. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    Depends on the mood of story. For my JourneyFic, it's a lighthearted adventure so there are bound to be comedic moments. I would see it okay for me to poke at the wall of straight up break it in DSTM (aka my fanfic's codename if you've never read it) because it doesn't stray too far from the general mood of the story, as long as I do it well and not a cheap laugh or info dump. And if you're doing a straight-up comedy one-shot, I want to see that wall shattered! It's totally neccisary if you're doing a comedy story as you can get plenty of nice jokes and comments from fourth wall breaking.

Now, let's say your story is exploring the darkest depths of something and there are tons of mature themes. Wouldn't it be weird to see a character suddenly become all cheery and say hello to the reader? That doesn't seem right.

Basically, it's the tone of the story and if a fourth wall break is required.

12. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    Fourth wall breaking is great if done well, like the others said. Personally, if it's a narrative with a character telling a story (to the readers), I think it's not bad. But if it's misplaced it'll just ruin the mood.