1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl - Past, Present and Future

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Pixel, Apr 22, 2017.

Tags:
?

Which Starter Pokemon did you choose on your first playthrough of Pokemon Diamond/Pokemon Pearl?

1. Turtwig

40.0%
  2. Chimchar

20.0%
  3. Piplup

40.0%
  1. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    [3D='turtwig'][3D='chimchar'][3D='piplup']​
    [3D='dialga'] Happy Birthday, Diamond and Pearl! [3D='palkia']​
    Err, but in America only

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl were released 10 years ago today in the US, so I thought it'd be good to talk about those games! So, down below, I challenge you to write some good things and bad things about Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (except you can't talk about the game's slowness, that's cheating), what you think of Diamond and Pearl today, and one thing you hope will be in the Diamond and Pearl remakes, which will definitely be released at some point! I've also included some full polls, so feel free to answer those!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,884.6
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I love the Sinnoh games, and would argue that they are the best as far as balancing Pokémon and storytelling. I know it didn't offer tons in the way of new Pokémon, though it did bring several new evolutions. My biggest complaint is probably that the move defog is such a waste because they needded to create a completely useless weather effect and area in order to justify it, and yet the HM, like most HM's, is more of a hassle then useful. In the remakes I would prefer a Pokémon registration system to HM's, though I don't really have a lot of hope there. I'd also be interested in some super cool cutscenes for the legendaries.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Pixel likes this.
  3. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    The villain team was really great, team Galactic was so menacing and just wanted to reset everything.
    Also the gym leaders were really great, I liked their deisgns and gyms, all fun in their own way.
    I HOPE for a remake of these amazing games, I would love to be able to enjoy them again.

Pixel likes this.
  4. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I love so many things about Sinnoh that I would just clutter this whole thread just by saying it. I love the music in it (ITS SO COOL!), as well as Cynthia and Team Galactic. I love Giratina and the Distortion World so much that I just trek out to Turnback Cave just to go there every once and a while. The Underground is AWESOME (I remember talking about this in another thread), and I anticipate that the most in the remakes (that WILL HAPPEN. It's just a matter of when.). The Battle Frontier was freaking amazing in Platinum, and I really hope that the Frontier from that game comes to the remakes as well, giving me something fun to do. I know Sinnoh like the back of my hand (literally), and it's my favorite Region (obviously, because of my rant XD). I even have started a Diamond and Pearl fanfic that is surrounded by Barry, Lucas, and Dawn! I definitely know that when the Diamond and Pearl hit the shelves, IM GETTING DIAMOND!

5. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    The story was a big plus. Unlike in the other games, it was more subtle. And there was a lot more to do in the game itself.

6. Aewynessa

Pidgey
    (Pidgey)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽219.4
    Staff of VerityCrown of ValorBig Nugget ★★★★★
    Diamond and Pearl have so much replay value. I've started their games over so many times to enjoy it once more. They had a huge pool of side characters to make the game interesting. They had useful Pokémon and an interesting team that has the most legit way to recreate the world. The storyline was fantastic overall.

I don't care about the pacing. It gives me even more time to play and love the game.

7. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Wow, has it been 10 years already? I can't believe it's been almost a decade since I received my first ever Pokémon game... This may be a little biased as I love this regions so much, but here goes!

Good:
    - There's so much to do! I spent so much time making poffins, running through Amity Square, entering contests and playing around in the Underground that it took me half a year to finish the game (also, I was 8 and dumb). There are also so many places to explore with Surf
    - That battle restaurant. I used to go there every day to battle, even when my Pokémon were so strong that they gained next to no EXP doing it.
    - This is probably just nostalgia talking, but I really like the starters. True, I favour Chimchar a little more since it was my first ever starter and I don't like Piplup as much since it's final design looks kind of odd. All the same, love those starters.
    - I'm going to have to mention the Underground again because dang it, that place was awesome. It didn't matter that I was alone the entire time and was just digging up stones and fossils by myself. I had fun!
    - I really did like the slow pacing of the story. Maybe that's partly due to the fact that I took forever to play it since I had to catch every Pokémon and try out every mechanic, but I like this generation's slow pace.
    - I really liked the designs of the Gym Leaders. And the player characters. And the professor. And... Everybody, actually. Although the Galactic Grunts' bowl cuts are a little questionable.

Bad:
    - Call me crazy, but I didn't like Team Galactic too much. Sure, Cyrus was awesome in every sense of the word, but I didn't find their motivations to be too compelling, especially since none of the grunts seemed to know what they were fighting for, either. I think this was fixed in Platinum, though, but I've never played that instalment.
    - Defog. It's useless. To be honest, I never actually obtained this HM because I never knew how to find it, but I could navigate through that foggy route just fine without it.
    - Lucian. Just... Lucian. I like the challenge he give me, but... It took me forever to beat him when I first played through (true, that may be because I only had 3 Pokémon that were actually strong enough to battle him and 2 were weak against Psychic) to the extent that I had no trouble at all battling Cynthia. During my second playthough, I had less trouble, but it still took too many tries.
    - I never liked those honey trees. It's time-consuming and you never get the Pokémon you want. Also, it costs money to buy honey.
    - There were only two fire-types in Diamond and Pearl. This was fixed in Platinum but still... How can you mess up that bad?

8. Anubis the Lucario

Robert
    (Nidorino)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽44.7
    Crown of Valor
    Am I the only one who picked Turtwig just because it made sense for Dawn to have Piplup?