1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pokémon Violet Sky DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by hunduel, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    I opened this topic for random discussion about anything: music, plotline, gameplay features, and so on. If someone has a question, they can ask it here, and even the staff and the people are working on it can talk about it if they don't understand something.

2. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    I know it's a double post, but since I wanted to write in the first post what's the topic about, now I'll write it in a separate post that what are MY questions. If it's a problem, feel free to merge the two posts.

I'm working on the prototype of the game, and I implemented the following features:

- Pokémon datas (Type, Species, Legendary, Generation, Weight are all working. Gender is still W.I.P.)
    - Different levels for the Pokémon
    - Capture System
    - Evolution System
    - Side-view battle system
    - Team leader (the trainer doesn't involving in the battles, just a sprite)
    - New save system & No lv limit (updated the system of the game, so it will allow LV100 Pokémon and evolutions/multiple captures)

Work in progress:

- Combination. Tell me if it's needed or not, but I thought that it could be a fun feature being able to fuse Pokémon instead of adding Fakemon. This system could be substituted by adding "parts of Legendary Pokémon" (for example, the feather of Ho-Oh), and these could be used like the evolution stones to evolve your Pokémon. Of course, both fusion and "legendary evolution" would have rules and restrictions, but it would give the game a huge customization value.
    - Trainer data. Now only wild Pokémon works, and there is no 1V1, but all Pokémon are involved in the battle.
    - Lots of other things, but these were not planned in the prototype (like storyline).

Feel free to share your ideas.

Oh, and who should be the main character and rival, and how the staff should appear in-game?

3. Pyramid King

Pyramid King Just checking on things

Egg
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽66.6
    You know you can edit your first post so you didn't have to double post.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    I know I can edit my post, I just wanted to separate my own questions/ideas from the opening post.

5. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Just curious, Shedon, are you working from the storyline when you begin? If possible I'd like it to be as accurate to what was written as possible. Also, I think it would be best to think about the staff bits when work on that particular town begins. Thanks for all of the hard work!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Nope, at the moment, I'm just doing the features of the games, so storyline is currently ignored. HOWEVER, of course, later, it will be added (and it will be as accurate as possible to the official storyline), but it's easier to do if we already have the features.

7. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Yes I agree with you there!

8. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    One idea: the plotline would be the same, but the names of the characters would be rewritten and named after the staff (and the most important members, mostly those who help/support the project) of the Lake Valor. What do you think?

EDIT: Here's two thing I've in my mind and needed to be discussed:

1. How about the fusions/special evolutions? As you said you don't want any new Pokémon except the legendary, I think adding one of these could improve the game's customization. Fusion could be an interesting method, as it gives a lot of variety, but can be confusing too. While adding special items, like the legendary/special Pokémon's DNA could work like the evolution stones, but more universal (even thought it would have its own rules too). I think the latter could be really interesting and would also fit with the villain team's theme.

2. I suggest the following modification in the evolution lines, as I think it makes more sense than the official, and you also said that some modification is more than OK in the game (like the type-mods too):

Venonat -> Butterfree
    Caterpie -> Metapod -> Venomoth

And if anyone has an idea something like this, feel free to share it. And of course if you don't like it and/or don't want to include anything too radical, feel free to tell it. In my opinion, it would make the game more exciting, as you won't know when and how your Pokémon will evolve, even thought you will use familiar faces. But since it's a new region, it would have its own rules.

9. EmeraldGlee

EmeraldGlee DESPAIR FOR ME!

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    I'm a bit hesitant on the whole fusion thing, tbh. Wouldn't it be a bit hard to do? Though, if the programmers can handle it, I don't really mind it. I'm just a bit worried that the staff can't handle it, is all.

As for changing the evo line...hm...we can make it part of the plot or something. That because of the evil team's experiments, they don't evolve to what they normally evolve to? There could be a small gag that a Magikarp would evolve into a Charizard, or something. XD (that's just a joke. Please don't take it seriously!)

I'm planning to make pre-evos of some mons to complete their evo line, like Kangaskhan (my goodness, I keep on spelling that wrong, I'm sure!), Miltank and Tauros, and some others.

10. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    It won't be that easy, but it's not impossible. Of course, it wouldn't work with everything, just only with a few Pokémon. That's why I said that special evo items could be interesting too, which would do the same effect. It's up to the moderators what they want.

Yeah, that's why I said that it also fits the storyline. Not just the scientist, but the legendary Pokémon could do that too.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you. Fakemon are not needed, BUT custom pre-evolution and evolutions, even alternate lines would be a great addition to the game.

I'm also thinking about adding different gameplay modes to the game, like "Normal" and "Nuzlocke". It won't be so easy, but if you're interested in, we can give it a chance.

11. EmeraldGlee

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    I say we do that Nuzlocke version! God knows how many times I cheated on my own Nuzlockr runs...maybe we can also add a hard mode after the player has defeated the game once?

12. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    A Nuzlocke mode would be a god like feature, would really make the game stand out among others.

13. Potatrobot

Potatrobot Resident Potato

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.0
    I haven't seen anything regarding saved data. Will this game have multiple save files? It's something that the mainstream games have really been in dire need of. However, since this is a hack game that will most likely be played on an emulator, they may not be necessary. Just worth mentioning.

I like the idea of fusion. Using it on the dragon trio in B2/W2 was interesting (although I never used the damn monster), so I'm interested to see what else can be done. I gathered that it will mainly be exclusive to Legendaries, which makes sense, and I assume that the player can only fuse similar Pokémon for simplicity's sake. For example, birds like Ho-Oh, the Legendary birds, and the other form of Tornadus would be easy to design and therefore fuse, although that's just my idea.

The idea of a Nuzlocke play mode is amazing. I've never had the gall to start one, mainly because I really don't want to destroy the progress I've made so far. I keep all my Pokémon (within reason) and refuse to delete them. But I also don't think I'd have the discipline to maintain the rules. This is another one of the reasons why multiple save files seem so appealing. One save file could be for a thorough playthrough while the other could be for a Nuzlocke challenge.

Of course to have a Nuzlocke play mode it must be decided at the beginning of the game, and while the mandatory rules should apply to the challenge, the other optional rules should be available to use. For instance, I start up the game and choose Nuzlocke play mode. From there, I might choose to enable some optional rules like 'Use the Pokémon centre once per town' or 'only use medicines to heal', or even the leniency to catch a wild Pokémon if it happens to be shiny, even if I've caught a Pokémon in that area. There are loads or different rules, so it might just be better to leave it up to the player to enforce those by him/herself. That's a part of the thrill of Nuzlocking, anyway.

Another thing to consider in terms of a Nuzlocke play mode is the ability to turn it off, irreversibly. If the player has decided enough's enough, they'll want to stop the enforced rules.

14. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    It won't be a hacked game. It will be a standalone game. It will support multiple savegames.

Yup, fusions would mostly support similar Pokémon, while the other mentioned "Special Evos" would be a bit more interesting: imagine a Caterpie with the DNA of Kyogre. Of course, that evolution couldn't evolve more, but even thought it's really small, it would be a really strong Pokémon. This could be done with Fusion, by the way, but this makes more sense with special DNA items. (like the Feather of Ho-Oh)

Obviously, in Nuzlocke mode, only the two mandatory rules would be programmed, the other were optional.

15. EmeraldGlee

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    The idea of fusions are starting to appeal to me. :) Though maybe we should stick to legendaries fusing with other legendaries, for simplicity's sake...or, if you want, a special Pokémon, just one or a select few, that can fuse with the legendaries, maybe acquired through special side quests. Maybe we can use the really weak Pokémon like Magikarp or something as a reward. XD Maybe some people would think "WTF! I went through all that trouble and got a lousy Magikarp?!" but then it turns out it's a really strong creature when holding...a Zapdos feather, for example. XD

16. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    I see that you're really interested in Nuzlocke, and I also think that it can be a good feature to the game, so I'll try my best to add it as a standalone gameplay mode. The two mandatory rules will be added: Pokémon dies, and only the first Pokémon can be captured in that area.

I thought about something like that, yeah. As I said previously, using a fusion/special system where everything can be combined is not as good where you need to realize which Pokémon can be combined and how.

Something like this:

[​IMG]

I think it's a perfect example of how you could use the Fusion/SpecEvo system for the game. If I remember well, these sprites themselves are even allowed to be used in a project if the author is credited... (There are a few devArtists who makes sprites which are allowed to use)

Also, how about baby legendaries?

17. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    I don't know about baby legendaries, after all the legendaries are supposed to be strong and look strong. I think for now the main feature I support is the Nuzlocke feature, fusions sound great but also pretty tricky, we'll need all of the sprites done too so it'll take a while.

18. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    I think Nuzlocke is so highly supported that it's no question anymore to include it or not in the game.

For the fusion: that's why I said that NOT all variations should be included, just a few. There would be rules of Fusion so there would be less work and more challenge/experience in the game to find out which fusions work actually. Or the other variant I mentioned that there would be special items from Pokémon ("Tail of the Kitsune", Item Fusion for Ninetales, "Feather of the Phoenix", Ho-Oh item, and so on"), so it would be like an evolution stone, but still more varied. OR both method could be used.

For the legendary babies: I think that there should be a method to obtain already existing legendaries as a baby, to show that there are more members of a species, even thought they are really rare. So you get an egg/baby instead of catching an "adult" version. But that's just my opinion and obviously it would be really limited.

Another thing: I won't implement breeding. It's just ruining the fun of the game, and make obtaining rare Pokémon easy (Eevee army, for example). I understand the importance of breeding in a competitive game, but here, it's just for getting more of the rare species.

EDIT: Screenshots. Because just.

[​IMG]

Our first steps in a new adventure.

[​IMG]

I used Oakwood Town from the game concept to test out the features.

[​IMG]

The Pokémon Lab with a familiar face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Poké Center with a temporary nurse instead of Joy (yes, the feature itself works).

[​IMG]

Let's start the grinding adventure!

[​IMG]

The current Pokémon Battle view. It makes sprite-making easier, as only front-view sprites are needed. Yes, the right one is a Pidgey crossbred/fused/evolved by/with (the help of) Zapdos.

19. EmeraldGlee

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    Whoa, those screenshots are looking pretty boss!

No doubt on the Nuzlocke thing. ;) I think it's a really smashing idea. Baby legendaries, though...It kinda ruins the whole "legendary-ness" of a legendary. Plus, that's added work that may not be appreciated by the players.

As for the breeding thing, we would need to come up with a reason to NOT support the thing. Breeding has been such a constant present in all games since gen 2 that removing it is kinda...not great. Maybe having breeding available after the first region is completed, if you really want the players to focus on getting Pokémon the hard way but the players could still breed if they want...or something.

As for the fusion thing...maybe just one special Pokémon for fusing purposes, instead of all Pokémon that can fuse. But this would mean that this Pokémon would be kinda-legendary and overpowered like and we don't want to add more legendaries...Hey! Maybe we can use the cover legendary of this game for this purpose, kinda like how Arceus changes types with plates.

20. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Pretty nice! You know that Pidgey thing? I think we should make the Pokémon appear like they do in X & Y. Not like 3D but with artwork of the Pokémon.

[​IMG]

And obviously, we might want to make the backgrounds/houses more in the style of Pokémon, instead of it seeming too far from the actual games. Original is cool but still. It'll be great to see all of the details changed and stuff and of course the sprites changed to Pokémon ones.

Also, I agree with Emerald, breeding should be available after the first region. I agree with the fusing thing too, not all Pokémon should be able to fuse, only special specific ones. I think we should just ditch the baby legendary idea all together, it just seems kind of redundant and we can spend more time working on the more important features which everyone loves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.