1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

4 Move Limit in Fiction - Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Flyg0n, Sep 7, 2020.

?

Should the four move limit be observed?

1. Yes, in everything - games, anime, and fiction

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Only in games and anime

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only in games - it's just a game mechanic

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. No, they should take it out of everything - Games, Mange, Stories - Everything is cooler without it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Eh, whatever

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. RWBY Gaster

Root Seed
    (Root Seed)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽489.0
    King's Rock ★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    @ShinigamiMiroku @Flyg0n
    Well, no limit may be very difficult to write, but it does give the author more room to expand on. From a novel I have read, the author used a creative way to use the concept of no move limit by combining moves together to make one move stronger or have very special effects.

If I have to give an example, I will use the one where the author creates an actual railgun with Pokémon moves and Pokédex entries. The author gives the main character a Magnezone with physic powers via hidden power. Then, Magnezone learns Magnet Bomb, lock-on, and gravity. With special training on controlling the magnetic fields, Magnezone is able to shoot out a coin-shaped Magnet Bomb in the style of a railgun(Lock-on to further improve accuracy and gravity makes sure the opponent's Pokémon does move much)

Maybe that is not a great example, I will use another one. Later, the author gives the main character a Bulbasaur. By mixing leech seed, vine whip, and growth, he basically made a much stronger version of leech seed(the setting of the novel is that leech seed can be destroyed through struggling, the action not the move, and protect is not as OP as the game).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  2. Flyg0n

Flyg0n PKMN Breeder

Mojave
    (Trapinch)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽365.8
    @RWBY Gaster
    That's true, the freedom of having more moves does open a lot of doors to really interesting combos.
    But that does carry slight risk of unintentionally writing yourself into a corner, where the MC could look stupid if he doesn't just teach his Pokémon an obviously useful move.
    But the same could still be said when keeping the 4 move limit I guess.

I just think eliminating the limit makes the story much much harder in the long run, because of all the potential Hyper Beam sized plot holes such a system can create (see that nifty pun there? ;) ). And these potential holes only get bigger as time goes on.
    Like I mentioned earlier at some point, a story I read features an MC who has talked about teaching his team Protect for like ... 25 chapters and still hasn't done it. And in that story, protect is pretty OP.
    long story short here, at some point I start asking why the MC (or the author) hasn't had some of the Pokémon learn some very obvious moves, since they can learn an infinite amount.

But not gonna lie, those combos and the potentials do sound really cool. Like, really cool. I really think its just the kind of thing that really is cool, but cooler isn't always better.

But it is definitely fun. And fanfiction should be fun.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...