1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

A decade of gaming

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dawn, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    As 2019 draws to close, we enter a new decade of video gaming! What are some of the best games of the 2010s that you've played? Anything life changing? Things you'd rather forget? Do you feel this decade has been better or worse than the last? What do you anticipate moving into the future?

As a bonus, can you name your favourite game from each year from 2010 to 2019?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,245.5
    The 2010's is the decade I truly explored video games, more than just what I got for Christmas from my parents. I explored many genres, discovered most of my favorite games, and thoroughly enjoyed a few years in particular. The highlights of the decade for me the PS4, 3DS, and Switch for consoles. A few games in particular that I want to mention are Bravely Default, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Xenoblade Chronicles. Each of these games triggered an interest in certain types of games, and serve as a foundation for what I look for in games.

With that being said, the decade wasn't without issues. Nintendo had a bit of a dark era with Mario that started near the end of the 2000's and carried on into the decade. We had a severe lack of 3D Zelda games for many years. I was disappointed by the direction of the Call of Duty franchise. They still can't get Star Fox right. The practices of some companies were questionable. Microtransactions and loot boxes ran rampant.

Despite all of this, the decade was full of games that I absolutely love. As neutral as I am about battle royales, I think the genre has a lot to offer. Indie games had a major impact. Games are becoming more accessible again. Nintendo is in the midst of one of their best eras. I'm going to list my game of the year for each year:

2010: Xenoblade Chronicles
    2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    2012: Fire Emblem: Awakening
    2013: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    2014: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU
    2015: Star Wars Battlefront
    2016: Bravely Second (Western release)
    2017: Persona 5
    2018: Spider-Man (PS4)
    2019: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Definitely not my top 10 games of the decade, but that covers every year. The current trajectory of Nintendo and their leading IP's is promising, and I hope Sony continues to secure wonderful exclusives. Here's to the 2020's!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,229.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I started gaming right at the start of the decade (February of 2010) and it’s been a blast. I found the genres I love, developed a nice collection, and experimented from time to time.

Personal highlights include getting into Pokémon (May 2010), trying the Mario Oddesey demo at the Nintendo New York store (June 2016), and receiving my first PlayStation (February 2018).

My main regret was buying a handful of awful licensed games for my DS Lite. That Zach and Cody game in particular was the most clunky excuse of code I’ve ever experienced.

I expect the next decade to mostly consist of me going through my backlog. The number of games I play will go down as well because I’ll be in college and eventually work. Learning how to adapt in the adult world is my first priority.

4. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    I haven't played many games beyond Pokémon, Smash, and Mario until about two years ago when I got a Switch, so I haven't really been to experience this decade in its full force. That being said, I don't really know much of anything about the earlier parts of it, since I was I think 8 throughout most of 2010. I think there was a notable indie game renaissance around then but I dunno.

The absolute biggest thing to me was seeing Nintendo Switch's release, though. Since I wasn't involved in the community of gaming during the days of the Wii, it was awesome seeing Nintendo take such a huge jump up to the spotlight. As a kid I always got mocked for playing Nintendo games as opposed to the more "not for babies" stuff that other kids my age played, so seeing this big win for Nintendo was just amazing for me.

Not much else I can really say though. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to gaming history so I'm not the best person to ask here, but I really wanted to mention the Nintendo Switch's success. I guess I can say that some of my favorite games from this decade were Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Super Mario Odyssey, Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, and Pokémon Black and White, but that's about it.

5. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Nightmare Tala

Hoppip
    (Skiploom)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽16,889.2
    King's Rock ★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Darkinum Z ★★★★
    o I have no clue about the onces coming out around that time, but since day 1 , when I first got my gameboy color, have I met tons of great games.

6. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I feel like this was the decade for indie developers, I remember hearing about a lot of indie devs getting games so popular that AAA companies would bring them to their consoles, give them financial help, and even ask them to help on THEIR games.
    2014- FNAF, which is now on VR and getting a AAA game and a mobile game with AR (just like Pokémon GO)
    2015- Undertale, which got a release on Nintendo Switch, got Sans in Smash Bros Ultimate (as well as a remix of Megalovania), and got Toby Fox making music for Pokémon SwSh and Town (and also playing games with Sakurai, apparently)
    2017- Cuphead, which got a release on Xbox One and Nintendo Switch

I am positive there are other indie games that got limelight but I have terrible memory :x