1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

A Thread Full of Questions!

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Malc Modnar, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malc Modnar

Malc Modnar Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    I only took up writing for fun about two months ago, actually. Before that, most of my writing was either academic or very long-winded posts in game forums. A friend of mine (who is very much addicted to fan fiction of all kinds) suggested I try my hand at it. Twenty four thousand words later...

Anyway, I have to say I enjoy writing fiction very much. It's satisfying, fun, and both difficult and easy at the same time. Other than that, I'll usually write about anything that interests me - technology, design, and even philosophy from time to time. I pride myself on my wide range of knowledge.

She's well meaning but hopelessly misguided. This idea that others have merit, are worth anything other than pawns or momentary amusement... the error is obvious. Others are blind, fearful, ignorant. Their utility lies only in how they serve me - any value they may have beyond that is drowned in an endless sea of idiocy. Her strange determination to help others, to sacrifice for something so nebulous and ill-conceived as a 'greater good,' is simply baffling. The world is for those with the intelligence and insight to seize it. Those without deserve nothing but their own foolish dreams.

Besides, I have type advantage. I worry about Cresselia about as much as you worry about the average housefly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Ever punched some one right in the face?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Malc Modnar

Malc Modnar Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Just once. The situation demanded it.
    I see what you did there.

Usually, if someone really makes me angry, I prefer to... dismantle them. Find their weaknesses, their fears, their psychological vulnerabilities, then start pulling strings. It's like a game of psychological Jenga - I see how much I can build them up before removing the one little brick that sends them crashing down. Fortunately, I very, very rarely find anyone that merits this special treatment. Usually it's enough to just avoid people I don't like.

I'm not evil.

8542Madness likes this.
  4. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Given that Halloween is fast approaching...What do you think of things that go 'bump' in the night?

5. Malc Modnar

Malc Modnar Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    I bump back with Science!

There's plenty humanity doesn't understand about the world, and it's natural to fear what we aren't familiar with. However, we fear them less the more we know. Eventually, we can turn anything once unfamiliar into a force under our control (we once feared lightning, now we use it to build incredible machines). The things that go bump in the night don't go bump in the day because their only power is in hiding. So next time you think you're hiding from a monster, ask yourself: are you sure the monster isn't hiding from you?

Reckless likes this.
  6. DIO

DIO KONO DIO DA!

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽239.2
    Do you hide from people?

7. Malc Modnar

Malc Modnar Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Whenever possible. After a while, people catch on and just leave me alone. I prefer it that way.

8. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    How has writing made an impact on your life?

9. Malc Modnar

Malc Modnar Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    That's a... difficult question to answer.

It gives me a chance to deconstruct the world, to create characters whose beliefs don't align with my own (and whom I may not even like) and explore situations from their perspectives. It's an exercise in considering different viewpoints, and has allowed me to view certain situations in an entirely different light.

On a related note, it's also made me seriously question my sanity. Creating characters for a story means holding them in my mind. In a way, I don't ever really stop using their perspective completely. It's easy to lapse into looking at a situation not as I normally would, but as one of my characters - reflexively creating dialogue and narration for real-world situations. Which sounds entertaining, until one realizes just how annoying having an entirely fictional person make snide remarks on one's everyday actions can be (I'm not crazy). Also, I'm still not used to characters taking me by surprise. I never would have thought that something I created could turn out in a way I didn't expect.

Oh well. Sanity is overrated anyway.

10. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    What is your favorite adjective?

What is your favorite verb?

Can you use both in the same sentence?

11. Airenee

Airenee Psychic

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    What story genres do you prefer most?

Can you write a short sentence that is totally out of character? I mean you write really deep, profound and dark.
    How would you fair writing a light, sunny and positive phrase?
    This is not a mere yes or no. Give a sample.
    And yes, I might be a Fairy-sympathizer. XD

12. Malc Modnar

Malc Modnar Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Indubitably and pondered.

"He pondered on matters indubitably profound."

Fantasy, followed closely by science fiction. Books like the Dresden Files, Inheritance Cycle, and Singularity Sky rank among my favorites.

Er... this is... difficult. Extremely. My positivity usually stems from having carefully analyzed a situation and found what I stand to gain - baseless optimism does not come naturally to me. Give me a context to reply to.

13. Airenee

Airenee Psychic

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    In the life of a cheery Sylveon.... :D

14. Malc Modnar

Malc Modnar Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    You are not helping.
    Also, a very strange sense of deja vu regarding that post. Moving on...

--------------------------------------------------

Fae the sylveon darted between the trees, the sunlight glinting off the polished bronze of her explorer's badge. "Hurry up, Tik!" she shouted, laughing as she burst out into a clearing in the woods. "We're almost there!"

"Just... wait up!" her partner, a joltik, huffed as he struggled to keep pace. Tik stumbled out into the clearing, only to find it completely deserted. His teammate was nowhere to be seen. "Fae? You there?" he called out, looking around for the missing sylveon.

A rustling in the trees answered him. He whirled around as a figure leaped towards him, pinning him to the ground before he could react. He cried out in surprise, only to be cut off by the sound of his attacker's laughter.

"Fae!" he cried angrily, glaring at the sylveon with all the fury the tiny bug could muster. Fae, in reply, tumbled to her side, laughing madly.

"You shoulda... your face was just..." she gasped in between fits. Tik couldn't help but find her mirth contagious.

"Okay. You got me." He grinned. "Now come on, you're gonna crush the berries if you keep rolling around like that."

"You worry too much, Tik! Everything's... oh." She looked sheepishly at her treasure bag, the normally vibrant blue stained dark as a mixture of berry juices soaked through. "I think we need new berries."

The diminutive Joltik sighed at his partner's familiar antics. The sound nearly sent Fae into another fit. "Well, we'd better get back to the guild, then-"

"Wait!" Fae interrupted. Her ears shot upright, and she smiled broadly. "There's all kinds of berries in these woods! I'm sure we can find some more if we just look!" With that, the sylveon bolted for the trees once more, her teammate scrambling after her.

--------------------------------------------------

There. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go burn down an orphanage or two.

Airenee likes this.
  15. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    What about you do you consider evil?

Do you believe that there is an equal amount of good and evil in a person? Or does one outweigh the other?

16. Malc Modnar

Malc Modnar Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Evil is that which destroys. Good is that which creates.

Everyone is a mix of good and evil. Often, evil is simply born of ignorance - not realizing the danger and harm of one's actions. It's why I value knowledge so highly. The more I know, the less evil I do. And yes, I do believe good can outweigh evil (and vice versa). In fact, I hold that people are fundamentally good - evil is born of failure, either on their part or on the part of others.

Of course, this mindset doesn't necessarily align with more conventional (and, in my opinion, poorly defined) morality. For example, I believe that selfishness, in the sense of pursuing one's on desires and ambitions, is an inherently good thing. Self betterment is a fundamental characteristic of humanity, and is one of the few things every human being has in common. This makes selfishness an incredibly powerful force for the betterment of humanity as a whole - think of every invention, every discovery, made because someone wanted to discover, learn more about the world, or simply earn a profit. True selfishness is not evil - only the blind pursuit of short-term gain at the cost of long term suffering is. That which benefits one person most is never harmful to others, simply due to how interconnected the world is.

17. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    *cracks knuckles*
    *places fingers on keyboard*
    *dramatically takes deep breath*
    *CTRL+V*

The Madness question list!
    1. Which is better: Stripes, plaid, or polka dot?
    2. What do you normally smell like?
    3. What is your least favorite Pokémon?
    4. Which is better: Spicy or sour?
    5. Favorite flavor of toothpaste?
    6. You drop a very heavy object. Would you rather it crush your toes or your fingers?
    7. What is something you want to learn more about?
    8. Are you a night owl or morning bird?
    9. How would you react if you suddenly burst into flames?
    10. You DID ask for fries with that order, but the idiot at the cash register insists that you, in fact, did not. You've already paid for the fries you are not receiving. The cashier did not print you a receipt, so you cannot prove anything. How do you react?
    11. Do you regularly swear when you speak? Why or why not?
    12. Do you consider yourself to have strong morals?
    13. Which would you rather eat: Potato salad, or that filthy green normal salad?
    14. The Deep Question: Is there anything you consider great enough to die for, and why or why not? It can be anything. A moral, an idea, a friend, a family member, you name it.

18. ThatPsychoticPichu

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Do you think I'm awesome? XD
    How psychotic do you think I am?

19. Malc Modnar

Malc Modnar Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    *glares*

You people enjoy this far too much.

1. Stripes, by virtue of being marginally less hideous.
    2. I've been told I smell vaguely like a waterfall scented candle. I do not know why this is.
    3. Klefki. It's a stupid design, combines the defenses of the dirty fairy menace and the steel type, and is generally annoying.
    4. Sour. I do not like spicy foods.
    5. Mint. I prefer the classics.
    6. Toes. They're much less important, and much more durable.
    7. Everything.
    8. Night owl, definitely. I cannot stand mornings. In all seriousness, I much prefer nighttime to daytime - it's quiet, cool, and nowhere near as harshly bright.
    9. Stop, drop, and roll. Remove clothing as quickly as possible and attempt to smother the flames. I would also avoid bodies of water at all costs, since the most likely situation for spontaneously bursting into flames is that I was somehow covered in sodium or potassium dust, both of which react to water by burning more.
    10. Oh, that franchise is about to have a very bad day. I would begin by calmly asking to see a manager (appeals to authority are always wonderfully effective). Then, because I always pay using a debit card, I would simply call up my bank and show the transfer, which their own records should reflect (if their records do not reflect this, they will be facing some very messy criminal charges very quickly). I would then make it abundantly clear that I am not happy to not receive a product I paid for, nor am I happy that they failed to provide appropriate documentation. I am in the right, and I will make sure they realize this.
    11. No. I find swearing uncreative and crass. That said, I will strive to use a creative and/or unusual oath if I want to convey a strong emotion (at some point, "bloody" found its way into my regular vocabulary - I have been unable to remove it so far, despite living in the middle of Texas).
    12. Yes, very much so. I've spent a very long time considering my own personal philosophy, and have created a moral framework that I find acceptable. Other people find it unusual at best, but I neither find their counter-arguments valid nor their opinions particularly valuable.
    13. Depends. A good house salad is delicious, but so is a good potato salad.
    14. No. I seek to better myself. If I die for a cause, I cannot enjoy the fruits of my efforts. It's a question I've pondered for a very, very long time, but I always reach the same conclusion. There are many causes I will strive for, a few I will suffer for, but none worth dying for.

No. Don't worry, though, I think very few things are awesome. The word is horribly misused - it means "extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring great admiration, apprehension, or fear." You're pretty close on that last part, though.

On a scale of one to bathe-in-the-blood-of-my-enemies, I'd rank you at about a six. Maybe six and a half.

8542Madness likes this.
  20. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    How much do you rate my signature from 1-10?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.