1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

A to Z, Ask Zero Anything (AZAZA)

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Absolute Zero, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    What made you want to be a Writer?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Ever? Wow. The thing is for me, I make clever quips and one-liners quite a bit, (most are puns, but many are also references), so much so that I don't often remember them once they're said ("Once the straw dog is burned", if you want me to reference the Analects of Confucius). As a metaphor, it's like Nuzlocke-ing. If you only have eight Pokémon at all, then they're all memorable and precious to you. But if you have eight full boxes of thirty? Ask me what my best Grass-type Pokémon ever and I'll be equally stumped. There are just so many candidates to choose from.

Uhh... so, in recent memory. I was at a formal event, dressed to the nines and feeling as sexy as James Bond. I was doing this mostly black thing: black suit, shoes, tie, all that stuff, and a nice crimson shirt. Really, you should have seen me. Anyhow, I bumped into a... gentleman who I do not consider a friend. He starts reminding me why we're not friends, and eventually tries to pick a fight. So I quote Barney Stinson (Neil Patrick Harris) in How I Met Your Mother. I say to him. "No, I don't fight. Well, actually, there are three things I fight. One: stubborn bra hooks. Two: paternity suits. And three: the urge to vomit when I see a man wear brown shoes with a black suit." *smug grin*.

If you want to know how that story ends, he says "You know what? You're a reeeaaal dick." To which I reply "Yeah? I'm taller than you (if you know what I mean)." Hey, he started it. (Also, 6'2")

I like pink. My reason is twofold: The first reason is I like putting words together calculatedly. Whether I'm writing a forum post, letter, email, note, or just speaking, I like to go through the effort of choosing proper diction to convey my points as elaborately as possible. See? I just did it there. I could have said "Because I like writing", but I did all that fluffed stuff. It's just part of what I do, even when I speak casually and pointlessly. The second reason is because for a long time, in the back of my head, I've entertained the idea of going into journalism (most likely radio). I even majored in Communications for two semesters or so at college because I wanted that much to be a radio journalist, but that's unlikely to happen. Unlikely, but if someone asks why I say "unlikely to happen" instead of "impossible at this point", well, I might answer that question too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Pixel likes this.
  3. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    I know this isn't technically the place for this, but I am asking something, so here we go.
    Would you like to roleplay with me on here? Imagine, the two Writers of LV, pairing up to write an amazing that everyone can read! We would be unstoppable!

4. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I saw a question mark in there. It still counts.

I've never done 1-on-1 before, and I haven't RP'd much at all. Last time I tried I was too busy with 40 hours of work plus school to do anything (I had to drop out of Ravenide's awesome RP about three posts into it), but now that I'm unemployed and have decided that my next employment is certainly going to be part-time... maybe. Alternatively, I really liked your Heirs to the Origin. Concept, quality, execution, all that. On that note, I'm about to put my obscenely-long* Delta Effect on hiatus in a few more weekly posts (three to five more), and I have a fresh idea in the oven I was going to execute soon. Maybe we could something along the lines of a co-authored story? Instead of a post-by-post, we could collaborate on something with a more ironed-out format. Hit me up on PM with your RP ideas and we might be able to iron out some details. I'm organizing my stuff already.

*It's half as long as a Tale of Two Cities already, and will pass up Paradise Lost by the time I'm done with the last few chapters of this "book" of the "series". I'm ready to put it to bed.

Pixel likes this.
  5. Sugar

Sugar Pokemon Coordinator

Deoxys Egg
    (Deoxys Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,357.1
    Favourite Pokémon sprites from each generation?

6. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Some of these were easy, some not.

1: [​IMG] Omastar just looks so fabulous in Gen 1! Forget Oma-, this one's a Superstar on the dance floor!

2: [​IMG] Feraligatr was my favorite Pokémon in Silver, so this is mostly a good memories choice.

3:[​IMG]Mawile's backsprite shows the Pokémon's actual face, which means it's actually the front sprite? I don't know, but it literally brings a new perspective on this Pokémon.

4:[​IMG]Gible is ready to rumble! He's all like "YEAH! FIGHT ME!"

5:[​IMG]Krokorok is such a chill mofo. I mean for real, that is one cool cat right there.

6: A lot of fire-type Pokémon. The animated fire they use on flame bodyparts is much better than I anticipated. [3D='rapidash'] [3D='emboar'] [3D='charmander']
    If you prefer a single favorite for Gen6, I'll say Mega Steelix. Design and execution, that thing is just beautiful.[3D='steelix-mega']

7. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    That gif bugs me because the loop is clearly broken. Anywho...

:: Which incarnation of Mega Man's Zero do you prefer, if any (X, Zero, BN, ZX series)? and why?

:: Are there any objects you own that tend to fall out of your pocket and land/roll into some hard-to-reach cavity?

:: If you were told that being a 'junior executive' meant you had to wear a tie, would you do it?

8. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    > I actually never played any of the Battle Network, and there's something about ZX that just didn't reach out to me. I liked his visual appearance in X (like we discussed in that one status update), but he was so so so much more badass in the MMZ series. MMZ itself was like MMX on adrenaline shots and steroids, and Zero himself was a total boss (especially when you got around to MMZ3, spoiler alert) in those games too. That said, I like the Zero series Zero better. I just wish his new character design was... different. By the way, the end of MMZ4, that little post-boss cutscene that makes you think it's all over? I think that's a misdirection. Zero is still out there.

> For some reason, maybe because it's old and small, my phone falls out of my pocket when I'm sitting in certain chairs. Maybe it's the angle of the cushion, maybe it's the reclining, I don't know. Anyhow, I'd say "beneath the couch cushions" counts as a difficult to reach cavity. At least it's findable with the "someone call my phone!" method. (and then just listen for this sound)

> Sure, why not? I mean ties can be good, I don't know why people give them a hard time. After all, there's a reason Barney Stinson loves them so much. If you're asking on behalf of yourself, this is what I recommend to make ties and business-wear all more tolerable, in no particular order:
    1: Don't button the shirt's top button, but instead cinch the tie up high enough to hide the unbuttoned button. That makes it ten times easier to go a whole event or workday wearing a tie.
    2: Avoid wearing white, pale blue, and other pastel color dress shirts if you can (unless you're outdoors in summer). Also, don't wear short sleeve dress shirts. Instead, roll up the sleeves on long sleeve shirts, and do it right! And don't roll up past the elbows; that's for manual labor, not warm weather. Just ask these guys. Roll/fold below the elbow. Do it.
    3: Get a good variety of ties. Some solid and boring, some bright and attractive, and at least one that's just a little bit crazy. If you wear the same two ties every day as a junior executive, people will notice it like BO. If you have five ties and five shirts, that's potentially twenty-five combinations there so you're not seen wearing the same thing every day.

Edit: Speaking of ties, I stumbled across this just now. I've taught like... ten people how to tie their ties, plus one old-dog-new-trick kind of oldster I've tied his tie onto him at least a dozen times. How come I get no recognition, huh? (weird how I sometimes find these things with good timing)

9. LunarRabbitPikachu

LunarRabbitPikachu Angel of the Moon

Saura
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37.7
    Moon Ball ★★★★Poké Ball ★GS Ball ★★★★★Mario Mushroom ★
    I see in your sig that you are playing Pokémon Black 2. :) How did you come up with the name Nadir for your Riolu?

10. Sugar

Deoxys Egg
    (Deoxys Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,357.1
    Have you ever successfully completed a Nuzlocke of any variation?

11. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Short story: it's yet another Arabian word for Zero, in addition to Sifr (Cipher).

Long story: the Arabians used to be the leading scientific civilization of the entire world. Not only did most of the financial trading between Asia, Europe, and Africa cross through their lands, making them into an extraordinarily wealthy people, but scientific ideas and inventions were also carried into their lands from the diverse cultures all around. Mathematics, medicine, arts, astronomy. Especially astronomy, in this case. Zenith, a more common term than nadir, is a word meaning directly up from where you are, the exact opposite direction of gravity. When looking at orbits, this becomes pretty much synonymous with "highest point" (since outside of the tropics, the sun can never quite be directly up at zenith, but its highest point in a given day is still called zenith), which in turn means it also is the best thing, (like if quality can be measured with a number. I'll get back to that). Nadir, on the other hand, is the opposite of zenith: it is directly down in the direction of gravity, which also carries the other opposites of zenith: it's the lowest, the downfall, or the worst (it gets a score of zero in whatever's being mentioned.) So that's what it is, the bare minimum, the lowest, zero. But why would I name one of my favorite Pokémon a word that can mean "the worst"? In a storytelling sense, I'm hoping it would give him an opposite-name mentality. Like a strongman named Tiny or my puppydog named Kittycat.

Also: Months and months and months ago I tried to participate with the New Beginnings RP, but had to drop out because I was too busy to keep up. My character's starter Pokémon there was a Riolu by the same name and, only finding this post after writing my Long Story paragraph above, this is what I said back then.

So I guess there's that too. Not only is nadir the direction straight down, but it's down to the core, or as the French would call it, the Coeur, or the heart. (btw, I did all this without external reference right now. This was all kept in my head from previous research, even the Arabian and French stuff)

\\\

*siiiiiigh* no. A long time ago I tried a standard kind and failed pretty early in, and more recently I tried a themed one of some kind, maybe it was wedlocke. And again, for the recent event here at LV, I was going to do a Valorlocke, but I kinda chickened out. It would have been so cool to name my captures after the members who claimed them too!

Right now, as far as Pokémon is concerned, I'm splitting my attention between finishing B2, waiting for Z, and trying to get started on my customized version of the 493 SacredGold/StormSilver Romhacks by Drayno. Alas, none of those are probably going to be Nuzlockes any time soon.

LunarRabbitPikachu likes this.
  12. Komari-chan

Komari-chan School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    What does Sifr mean in your username?

13. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Excellent followup to my previous answer! Sifr (pronounced Cipher), is the Arabic word for Zero (transliterated into the English alphabet, or else I would be Zero صفر). That's the short answer.

I like high word-counts, so I'll expand a little bit more. On the same note as part 1 of my previous answered questions, you may think that I like Arabian things (and also in my signature, my current Black2 team has 2.5 Arabian-inspired names). Well, for the most part, yes. I mean every society on earth has their ups and downs (even if their down sides are very low, very noticeable, and very downright-evil during some spans of history), but Arabia has had some pretty high ups. Take a ride with me through the time machine I totally finished building and tested out a few days ago, and we'll visit Arabia around the year 800 AD under the rule of Harun al Rashid, otherwise known as Harun the Righteous. While he was ruling Arabia, Baghdad was literally the best city in the world. Today we can say maybe it's London, maybe it's New York, or Tokyo, or Paris, or Dubai; but during Harun's time, Baghdad (the de facto capital of Arabia), was indisputably the greatest city in the world. Just look at it on a map: it's right between Asia, Africa, and Europe, and is sandwiched between two large rivers providing deceptively fertile agricultural lands for what you probably think of when you read the phrase "middle east". With those three diverse continents' and countless cultures' trade routes all passing through Arabian lands, how do you not become rich? How do you not pick up technologies and inventions from all around the known world? How do you not become the center of rapidly-evolving culture, science, and art? Arabia was on top of the world for a long time until things went wrong. Between ruthless attacks from jealous Mongols (who wrecked Baghdad so badly over 750 years ago it still hasn't fully recovered) and zealous Europeans (have you ever heard of the Crusades?) and bealous internal changes (that's not a real word, I just wanted to rhyme with the first two, but yeah, one bad ruler can ruin it for everyone), it took a lot of hard work to take Baghdad and Arabia down from its place at the top of the world.

Anyhow, I like some parts of Arabian culture and history. Other parts, not so much. If you feel like reading more, just look up "Islamic Golden Age" and see how undeniably awesome that part of the world was for half a millennium.

Komari-chan likes this.
  14. Sugar

Deoxys Egg
    (Deoxys Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,357.1
    What is your opinion on unicycles?

15. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    If you could have control over one element (earth, water, fire, air), which would you choose and why?

16. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    No.

I spend too much of my time watching Avatar, so I've actually thought for a long time about this, and am pretty sure about my reasons for and against having each.

Fire: Do not want. It's way too easy to accidentally burn down a house, burn yourself or someone else like Zuko's face was, or straight up cause a wildfire. Sure, it would be nice to be able to heat my coffee anytime I like, but the risk isn't worth it.

Earth: These days, with all the subterranean utility lines and plumbing and all that, it would be hard to manipulate earth without causing significant damage to local modern life. Even if I do avoid that, I'm going to be leaving ugly grass-less craters and mounds of earth everywhere unless I put each clump of earth back exactly where I found it! True, I do some landscaping in some times of the year, but I'd rather just do the hard work of that. Metalbending, on the other hand...

Air: I used to think air manipulation would be pretty lame while watching Avatar, at least until I saw people like Tenzin, Kai, and Zaheer do it. Aang was just kinda meh with it. The glider-enabled flight would be awesome, and this is my number one choice if I'm living in a world where element-manipulating combat sport is a thing, since I'm totally not forceful. I would even convert to vegetarianism and live the monk lifestyle if it meant I got to study Airbending with the best of them. Otherwise, we're moving on to...

Water: Water is pretty easily accessible in large amounts, it can be manipulated without tearing up the local land and buildings, is still combatively useful, and would enable me to walk through the rain without getting wet and shovel a snowy road effortlessly and could make showering incredibly awesome. Also, I'm a masseur on the side, so can you imagine how great it would feel to be massaged my a ball of water? No need for oils to make you all slippery (and need a shower afterwards) and the size, shape, pressure are all easily optional. No longer would I be limited to the size and shape of my hands and fingertips! Best massage-giving ever. Also, water fits well into my preferred philosophy of Daoism. Reading from my favorite translation, this is an excerpt from Chapter 8: "The highest efficacy is like water. It is because water benefits everything, yet vies to dwell in places loathed by the crowd that it comes nearest to proper way-making". This is the first bit of the concept known as "Wu-Wei", or "non-doing". Long story short: water goes with the flow. It just flows downhill, no big deal. Something gets in its way, it keeps going around. While this may seem lame, keep in mind this very principle is what carves out canyons and valleys through erosion. How deep it is, so efficacious, that it shapes the world without trying! That last bit was me talking, by the way, not Lao-Tzu.

17. LunarRabbitPikachu

Saura
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37.7
    Between 1 to 20, what is your favorite number?

18. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    It's pretty hard to elaborate on a question like that. Are you trying to make me give shorter answers? Is this because of things like me being asked what "Sifr" means and turning that into a 350 word history lesson? Here I thought I was improving when I answered Nature Lady's question with "No.", just no. I'm sorry, I can't help it, I'm wordy online. In person, not so much, I'm really a quiet type, saying more than I talk. You know what they say, the near-empty can rattles the most, and the shallower the water the louder the river. Which also, like my Daoist reasoning for preferring water manipulation over the other three classical elements, is another reason I like water: I find my personal metaphors in it. Accomplishing great things with little effort, my deeper waters influencing a calmer surface, and my own tidal connection with the moon. Or something. But yeah, high word counts. I'm getting ready to post my next Pokémon Historia, but it's at 345 words right now, making it about a 3 minute read. I am entirely unsatisfied with that: I don't want to keep you all reading my thing for fifteen minutes, but I think five minutes can be a good length to satisfy curiosity on the subject at hand. And the contents so far are pretty narrow, just a single subject connecting to a concept acknowledged in only one part of the world. I'm trying to be multicultural there, so I was going to try to segue into another thing that influenced Pokémon from a nearby part of the world, but these two are sometimes clumped together despite being very different. It would be like blending Spanish and Portuguese cultures as being the same, or Aztec and Incan. It's just not right to mix them, so, to bring it full circle, I'm having a hard time reaching a pleasant word count for that next article.

Oh, right, my favorite number. Let's say "e", the constant number used as the mathematical base for the natural logarithm, coming to be about 2.72. The natural logarithm is OKAY I'LL STOP!

19. LunarRabbitPikachu

Saura
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37.7
    Oh! So you like math?! :D keep talking more about math!!

20. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Let me ask you a hypothetical question: Do you enjoy trimming your nails or undergoing routine body or facial hair removal of some kind? I'm going to guess your answer is "Not particularly, but I do enjoy the benefits of doing those things better than the consequences of not doing them." Like having unruly long nails, uncomfortable amounts of bodyhair, or things like that, it can get uncomfortable to endure the consequences of the unwillingness to address these things. That's the same way I see math: I don't like doing it, I just don't, but I do acknowledge that it makes a lot of things easier. Just try to cater a party without knowing simple algebra (this food costs this much, that other kind costs that much, I need to feed this many people, what should I get to match my budget); or build a deck without addition (this part of the house is 12 feet long, that part is 8 feet long, meh, I'll just buy enough lumber for 200 six-inch wide planks use the leftovers as firewood), or calculate expected arrival time without division (I'm driving sixty miles per hour, my destination is 120 miles away, but I have no idea how long it will take me to get there). Math is not fun, but math is useful. Or it can be, but for some reason my trig teacher thought it would be fun to trigonometrically measure the distance to that Hawaiian mountaintop from this Hawaiian mountaintop knowing it's that far above the horizon and it appears to be at this angle below the 90 degree plane between zenith and nadir (see my answer to your previous question) when I can totally just pull out a map and find out the easy way! *siiiigh* Math is not fun. I do not like math. Math is useful (sometimes). I do respect math (always).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.