1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

A to Z, Ask Zero Anything (AZAZA)

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Absolute Zero, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    We have much to discuss.

Back on topic...

:: Do you find yourself pressed to aim for word quotas, or is it just something you like doing?

:: When you're in the middle of a thought, but it suddenly breaks or vanishes from you, what do you do?

:: Why do I learn so much every time I read one of your answers? (Seriously, it's like having a miniature history lesson with each post. I'm learning so very much and I love it.)

Absolute Zero likes this.
  2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    (I appreciate how Eclipse chose three very good questions that will say a lot about me. However, If this is a wall-o-text, my own opinion is that answer #3 is the deepest-cutting answer, insofar as "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" means that phrase)

1: They're not quotas, they're guidelines for saying/writing something gustatorily filling. You know how some early school teachers try to describe essays/stories as sandwiches? The opening and conclusion are slices of bread, the actual subject matter of the writing is the thing that fills the sandwich? That has almost nothing to do with what I'm about to say, just more of the food in general. There is such thing as tiny, exquisite literary art, something smart and powerful that leaves a reader with a sense of wow*, but with a food metaphor, not much has been read, the reader might want to eat more. Contrarily, it is totally possible to make a giant literary meal of what is pretty much unflavored tofu. What I try to do is write a good and flavorful meal: I want my reader to say "that tasted good, and also I feel full!". On my next Pokémon Historia, if it's a meal, right now it's like a pretty good plate of single-dish Chinese food. You got your cultural beef, your Pokémon info broccoli, and your humor rice, but it's still just one small dish. I'm trying to find something that can be a good side of lo-mein or miso soup (wait, isn't miso Japanese?) that can complete the meal.

*A perfect example of tiny but powerful literature is my favorite piece by Hemingway. I memorized it, so I'm not even looking it up right now. This flash fiction goes as so: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." I'm left speechless after that. It's six words long, but it's probably more powerful than anything in my Delta Effect, which is like 25 installations of 3000 word average chapters. As powerful as it is, though, it only occupies the reader for a few seconds, and isn't very good for reading on a road trip or curled up by a fire.

2: This happens to me a lot. In conversation, I am too yielding to my opponent (there goes that Wu Wei of Daoism again), so I often tend to just keep my retort/contribution in my back pocket until it's too late. Sometimes, when it's not too late, I just forget and say "well, it probably wasn't important anyway" (a statement with which some people may disagree, based on my answer to #3). This reminds me of something: I try to be really on the ball with my sense of humor. Someone say "Oops, that was a secret. You never heard that." And I'll say "I never heard what?"; or if someone starts bragging about their accomplishments "I can bench-press 350 and run two miles in twelve minutes and kick your butt in Gears of Dutyfields Black Zombieghosts Twelve", I just go right into "And you're also the best at being humble!". So I sometimes try to just work my comedy into conversational responses like that. Wait... where was I going with this? Whatever, it probably wasn't that important.

3: I pride myself on being a learn'ed man. I have studied six languages (only currently speak two fluently, though) and have followed five majors in college for at least a semester each, I read every single science, history, and culture article that arrives on cracked.com's front page and before that, I followed How Stuff Works' weekly newsletter. I try as many foreign foods as I can (still waiting on a chance to try Filipino insect-on-a-stick) and have thoroughly read seven holy books (the Christian Bible, the Koran*, the Dao De Jing* (my favorite, and I have three different translations at my disposal), The Analects of Confucius, The Bhagavad Gita, the Way of the Bodhisattva, and the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster) and studied their respective religions (in addition to Wicca and LaVeyan Satanism). I know enough about computers to have built my own desktop from self-picked parts and rooted my tablet and have just gotten a surprisingly challenging job in over-the-phone PC+Console videogame tech support (remind me to post in the daily accomplishment thread), and am enamored and self-taught enough with scientific astronomy to theoretically have a scholarly talk with Neil deGrasse Tyson over coffee or wine. I have an ability to teach myself skills quite easily (I taught myself to play piano basically, give massages excellently, throw kunai with fair accuracy, and am currently learning the art and science of artisinal French and Turkish coffee-making). If I'm not enough of a nerd already, I'm a self-declared expert on the history of DC/Vertigo comics (Especially Batman and the works of Alan Moore) and Nintendo, and thanks to my prior work with a book publisher, am fairly knowledgeable with classic literature from around the world.

*Some people transliterate these two books as Quran and Tao Te Ching, but I'm using the spelling of my Koran and my favorite copy of the Dao De Jing. Different name, different translations, same heart.

It just occurred to me that I'm a renaissance man. You wouldn't know it by the way I'm going on right now, but I usually keep this all under wraps. I speak intelligently (with a voice that people tell me they envy, so that's nice too), but all those things above only come out one little piece at a time, and even then only if someone else starts the conversation (like asking questions here, thanks everybody!). My brain is a big, organized place. The door closes, but all you have to do is knock and I'll let you see what's inside. Maybe we can add something to each other's archives in the process!

PS: If you want me to expand on any of those things I have in my brain, feel free to ask. This is a Q+A thread, after all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sugar

Sugar Pokemon Coordinator

Deoxys Egg
    (Deoxys Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,357.1
    Can you use the longest word you know in a sentence?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Take your pick.
    Sureicanthatseasyimeanallihavetodoisinventawordanduseitrighthereanditcountsasawordrightevenifthedictionarydoesnotagreebecausethatsnotacriteriaoftherequestsoiamjustgoingtorunwiththisforawhilelongerjusttobeefupthelengthofthewordbutnowthatithinkofitstephencolbertwasabletoinventawordandmakeitintoarealwordinthemerriamwebsterdictionaryjustbypopularizingitsufficientlysoallyouhavetodoisstartusingthiswordtooandwecanmakeitofficial.
    I wanted to make this a question, but instead I'll phrase it as a statement so it still counts as a sentence, but anyway, it would please me to hear you use the longest word you know in a sentence.
    (You did ask me to use "the longest word you know in a sentence").
    I can. But will I? No, not here.

5. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    When was the last time you got a present from somebody?
    Do you sleep with your window open or closed?
    What does water taste like?

6. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    1: You mean an actual, material gift beyond free food? ... ... ... Uhh, wow. Probably around New Years Eve/Day 2015. My ex-girlfriend/not-ex-bestfriend gave me a late christmas present even though I told her not to get me anything. Actually, she got me three gifts: One was a beautiful and poetic translation of the Dao De Jing (or Tao Te Ching, as this translation names itself); another was some Rose Lemonade Soda imported from someplace far away (I have a thing for unique-ish glass soda bottles), and I don't remember the third, but I'm sure it was awesome. My gift to her was really lame and I felt like garbage afterward, but she saw my gratitude and I made it up to her later. That is why I tell my friends not to get me anything for christmas, because I suck at keeping up my end of the deal. You! Don't get me anything, you hear?

2: Open in fair weather. I enjoy the smell of my local outdoors, and don't mind waking up to natural lights and sounds (and the sound of rain is especially nice.) Unfortunately, I only get maybe a month and a half of perfect weather, so I don't get to do it very often. It might be for the best, since I've heard doctors say that the prolonged exposure to outdoor dusts and spores and whatnot while asleep can be unhealthy. I suppose I have a decision to make.

3: To me, water tastes like one of two things: coffee or instant ramen flavor packs (or else it's shower water and is not tasted by me). Does water even exist outside of those forms? I mean yeah, I'm studying chemistry and used to work in a lab, but most of the water I come in contact with is in the form of coffee or ramen broth. I have almost no reason to suspect "pure water" even exists. Like it's some kind of holy grail concept in science. No wonder we're looking for it on Mars, all we have on (my little part of) Earth is inseparably bonded with these two beautiful contaminants. We're more likely to find a far-from-home yeti hiding in the CERN facility than this so-called "pure water" anywhere I can taste it. (Why yes, I am a college student, how could you tell?)

7. Sanctuary

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽94.1
    Sorry if one of these has already been asked before. :P

Do you prefer Protoman or Zero? Why?

What's your favorite Megaman game?

Have you ever played any games from the Battle Network series? If so, which one's your favorite? If not, is there a specific reason?

Any food you slightly dislike, but still eat just because?

If you could choose between being blind or death, which would you pick and why?

Have you absolutely despised any TV shows or movies in the past? If so, which and why?

8. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Protoman or Zero: Dude. Duuude. Duuuuude. Come on. Really? Zero all the way. Part of it is because of my answer to Question #2, but beyond that, there's a large stylistic difference between them. Sunglasses are cool and all, but long viking hair is where it's at, man. That plus the sword asthetic and Zero's self-sacrificing nature and general badassery, he's just that much cooler. Admittedly, Protoman does have his own coolness in being the first (?) robot to be made with unrestricted AI, completely free of pre-installed laws to control his actions, but that's really all I can say in his favor.

Furthermore, let's compare their spring-into-action theme songs. Protoman. Zero. I think I've made my point.

Favorite Megaman Game: Before I answer this, I'm going to mention that I'm not opening the megaman wiki at all during these answers. Moving right along: there are a whooole lot of Megaman games. By my recollection, there are 10 MM classic games, 8 MMX games, 4 MMZ games, 2 MMZX games, 5 MMBN games, 4 of that constellation-themed series, plus all the many, many spinoffs of the classic series and split versions of the BN and constellation themed games. That's like... 1... 2... at least 50 games. Land Before Time better check itself, yo.

So Imma break down the answer some: I think the MMX series (actually, I miscounted, there are only six games. 7 and 8 don't exist. I don't care what you say, they don't exist. Stop telling me they do. I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA!) are among the best videogames ever, and the MMZ series follows close behind. MM classic wasn't much my thing, partly for the sillier aesthetics, partly because I played MMX before MM Classic and can't bear to not have dash. I never got around to playing much of BN or the constellation games, and I think ZX was a mixed bag of upgrades and downgrades from MMZ, ultimately being a couple of steps below.

That said: Of all the Megaman games I've played, this is the list of my notable favorites in descending order: X2, X1, X3, Z3, Z4, Z1, Z2, X5, X4, X6, C2, C1, C3, ZX2, ZX1. Whew. A lot of close ties in there, especially Z3 and Z4 and all the first three X games. Color coding to help show the pattern. I didn't like any of the blues we have on quickselect, so I literally BBCode'd them up individually. Eh, it's worth it.

Battle Network: I played Battle Network 1 for maybe a few hours of gameplay. The thing is, its such a departure from the previous entries that I just didn't enjoy it. It seemed so limited compared to the platforming and acrobatics and all that from every other game before it. I'll give it another try one of these days, I'm sure, but I haven't yet.

Foods I dislike but still eat: I don't turn down any food for not liking it. Partly because I have a policy to never turn away free food (survival trait), partly for the sake of politeness of not pushing away unfamiliar food and turning up my nose in favor of trying new things, and partly because I can just be a man and deal with it. Prime example: my parents like making stuffed peppers. If you've never had it, it's where you take a giant bell pepper, empty it out, stuff it with meats and cheeses and less-gargantuan peppers, and eat that as a dish. The thing is, with that meal, the large bell pepper is not only the vehicle, but it's the food too. The way I see it, I don't want to eat my extra plate, and I don't want that much pepper in one meal. But you know what, I still eat it, and I don't complain about it. I'll just never order it in a restaurant.

Blindness or Death: You know, voice-to-text and text-to-speech programs for computers have come a long way in the past few years. For all you know, I could have had your questions read to me automatically, and replied to them without ever seeing or touching my keyboard.

What I'm saying is, why choose again?

TV and Movies I hate: It's hard for me to use that H-word. But if we change it to strongly dislike, hmm, let me think. In no particular order: Two Broke Girls, that fan-made Zelda movie featuring that guy who looked like David Spade, the Super Mario Bros movie, Sixteen and Pregnant. I mean there are a lot, but one of the wonderful things about my brain is that if I don't like something, I don't obsess over it. It's like people who are strongly anti-, wait, I don't want to get political here. How about people who are anti-Broccoli? It seems like they're constantly talking about how broccoli is ruining our children's lives, destroying traditional values, plunging the economy into an abyss, and letting the terrorists win just by being eaten. It's non-stop! Can't they just take five minutes and think about something nice, like carrots? I'm not saying they should just go polar opposite and rave about how onions are what this country needs and we're all going to burn in the electric vegetable steamer if we don't accept onions into our lives, but just something neutrally nice like carrots. Back to the point: I don't think about things I don't like unless it's actually relevant. All these TV shows I dislike, I'm not going to go on about them because I don't care about them. For all I know they're all canceled. Or maybe they have a devout following. I don't care, I'm not the one watching them.

=====

BONUS ROUND!

Or something like it. Next three askers will have their (first) question answered in twelve words or fewer. Whaaaat? Yeah, I'm going to be in pain writing those.

Sanctuary likes this.
  9. Sanctuary

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽94.1
    Ahh my friend, then you have not seen the Battle Network version of Protoman. Allow me to enlighten you with this beauty:
    [​IMG]

I like Battle Network's Protoman 10x more than regular Protoman. Honestly, I don't even like regular Protoman all that much to begin with lol. But Battle Network's Protoman is badass in many different ways.
    I still completely agree with you on Zero though, I've always preferred him over Protoman and always will.

Very nice selection of games I'd say. I can't remember exactly which 2 MMZ games I've played in the past, but if I were to take a guess, I think they'd be MMZ 1 and 2. I'm almost positive I've played every MMX game, including X7 but excluding X8 (even though they're both non-existent).
    Out of the classics, I can't remember which ones I've played exactly, but all I know is I've played 8. Multiple times. At least 30 times by now actually.
    I've actually been playing a lot of Megaman & Bass on an emulator on my phone recently (beat it at least like 5-6 times now), which is basically a GBA version of MM8 (as in the graphics/sprites and cartoon-y style of the game, and also the bosses), except you can also play as Bass, who has different attributes and skills, so the controls are a bit different. I prefer playing as him over Megaman in that game honestly.

I'd highly suggest giving it a 2nd go if you're looking for something new to play. The games last much, much longer compared to the MMX, MMZ, and MM games (individually of course). Each game packs a minimum of approximately 16-18 hours of gameplay, and some of them up to 24 hours (basing these numbers off of my past experiences).
    The gameplay honestly is different, without a doubt, but it gets interesting once you get into it, and I love the story for each game because it's a lot more interactive than any other Megaman game I've played, and each Battle Network game is always better than that last.

With that being said, my favorite BN games in order would be: BN6, BN2, BN5, BN4, BN3, BN1.
    If you end up trying it any time soon, I'd recommend starting off from BN2. The stories for the games are all connected, but from BN1 to BN3, you're not missing out on too much if you skip a game. I believe BN4 is where things start to shift around, with new antagonists, skills, etc...
    To be honest, I don't even remember much of BN1, considering I've only played it once.

If you could only listen to 3 artists for the rest of your life, which ones would they be?

Do you exercise often, or have you exercised often in the past?

Outside of the Megaman franchise, what would be your top 3 video game series recommendations?

Have you ever stop being friends with someone, whether it be over time or over something silly?

10. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Can you use one of your watches to tell me what time it is in the Fairy Tale guild?

11. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    And to that, reading ahead, I have two things to say: damn you, Sanctuary, and double-damn you, Kouhai! How am I going to reign in my rambling fingers when talking about music and my hopes for the future! If only someone would ask me to elucidate and expand upon my answers...
    1: Sinatra, Apocalyptica, Älvestam. Luckily all of them have many songs plus variety.

2: I've got a pretty fast metabolism, so I don't have to exercise much, but still remain in good health. Good, but not great. In high school, I ran the mile in, and I quote, "13 minutes plus". The gym teacher got bored of waiting. That said, my cardiovascular health hasn't been much to brag about. Last summer, 2014, I decided I would start jogging just because. And I got into it for a while: First time at my local park (which has a roughly 1 mile with a lot of elevation change walk/run/bike path), I probably ran out of breath about 20 meters in, and did a 13+ minute mile again. But I kept going to the park (or high school track on weekends) three days each week, and rapidly improved. Within a few months, I was two miles with inclines in the time I used to do one on flat ground. My best run was probably two miles nonstop in that same 12 minutes or so, maybe . I kept digital records of where, when, and how I ran, but I can't seem to find my 2014 records. I started again in spring of 2015, but didn't keep it up as well, since I got a very physical job at that time and didn't feel like being even more exhausted. June 14 this year, on a very hot day, I ran about 3/4 mile in 5:25 and had to stop. I wrote that I'd never sweated that hard before. That's my last recorded run.

I would benefit more from strength training though. Nothing wrong with being more physically capable.

3: Including the bad games into statistical averages? In no order, I'll say Far Cry (I just wrapped up 4 and am eagerly awaiting Primal. The characters of FC3, the story of FC4, the parody of FCBD were all awesome, but no game has been 10/10 yet), Ratchet and Clank (Although I haven't played since Deadlocked, since I don't have any PS beyond 2), and the hmm, what to pick for the last one? Oh, right, Pokémon. I'll say Pokémon.

4: I have a horrible tendency to drift apart from people. I'm just no good at sending out that text message or phone call saying "hey, what's up, you wanna get coffee on Saturday?". We've all stopped being friends with people: do me a favor and open up your school yearbook from six years ago (or some other timeframe depending on your age). Look at the autographs you have in the covers. How many of those people have you not talked to in the past three years, for instance? I don't have to grab mine, I know the answer: one. I drifted apart from everyone else. Just not friends any more. Same with (most) co-workers from jobs I've had and other social situations I've befriended people.

If you're talking about more deliberate "You know what, eff you, dude, we're not friends any more" I have a few of those too, just spoken with more class than that example. Some of the reasons were "You stole twelve music CDs from me", "you spoke quite poorly of my girlfriend", and "you, sir, are an incomprehensible and insufferable douche, and I no longer wish to associate with you. Good day, you may leave, and may we never cross paths again." That last one, you can replace "douche" with bigot, elitist, liar, or any other kind of person who can be described with that one phrase that rhymes with "glass bowl". I just don't like them, so why should I consider them my friends?

- Okay, yeah, that Protoman design is pretty boss (especially since he totally stole Zero's hair and sword!), but Zero had an incredibly awesome BN redesign too. I feel it's worth mentioning that Proto's whistle music is awesome, but it's not action-packed. I think those two songs were supposed to be "Here comes Rock's super-cool friend to either save the day or totally rip Rock a new USB slot!", and Zero's fits that energetic purpose better.

- Now that you mention it, I did play one of the PS1 Megamans. According to the wiki, it was 8 (I remember Clown Man). Again, this was after I played X, so the lack of some features was a deal-breaker for me. If you're trying to identify the Zeros you played, try this: Z1 you had almost no mission selection like previous games where you could choose from any bad guy from the get-go, Z2 had grapple-swinging obstacles, Z3 had Omega, the giant gladiator-looking robot (If you don't recognize the name, do not look him up on the wiki, but play the game first), and Z4 had level-changing weather effects each time you returned to a stage (and some of the coolest bosses of the whole MM series). Also, the other weapon in addition to the sword, gun, and shield: 1 had a spear, 2 had a chain/whip/grapple, 3 had tonfa, and 4 had your bare fists.

- Yeah, I can knock out any entry of X1-X3 in an afternoon, any one of X4-6 in 2-3 afternoons, and any of the Z games in a similar timeframe. By your recommendation, I'll pick up BN2 and then, if I like it, I'll jump back to 1 and 3. Maybe that was my problem: wrong expectations and an un-ideal order.

1: Done school, good career. Maybe married, maybe father. Perhaps published author, unlikely.

2: It's tool time with Tim the T-- wait, no, that's not it. It's adven-- definitely not that. It's clobb-- not it either. I don't know? I'm pretty sure right now it's between yesterday and tomorrow, but I can't even be sure of that. Also, like I said, curse my self-imposed limitation of answering the first question of the next three askers in twelve words. I feel like I covered the important points. Maybe that's the lesson I should be learning here.

12. Pitmore

Pitmore Mild Internal Pain

PokéPoints:
    ₽84.0
    Are you remaking ABBA with AZAZA?

Did you ever go to hero, from zero?

Favorite chapter to write from your fanfic?

13. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8

1 (final twelve word answer): I yabba-dabba will not ABBA my AZAZA. Quoting Schnitzel: Radda radda.

2: Did I ever go from hero to zero? One time I went from hero to zero while battling a Fearow-- wait, not that. I have a tendency to ruin good things happening to me. Skipping by all the own-goals in sports or otherwise embarrassing events, I tend to soundly ruin my chances with ladies after I've become a hero in some regard. Things are going great, and then I put my foot in my mouth so deep I have teeth marks on my knees. Talking about 'fun stuff' with a new ladyfriend and get a bit too forward, or when I said the entirely wrong thing when another ladyfriend said "I love you" too soon, or the time that my favorite potential paramour yet asked me out, (which means I was sort of a hero, to her at least), and then through a series of events I'd rather not detail, totally blew my chances with her. She was a solid 9/10, smart, and classy too. I make myself a hero in someone's eyes, do something colossally stupid, and become a lower-case zero.

3: Most of my favorites are, strangely enough, not public yet. I have two and two-halves chapters relating to my next story written up that aren't posted yet, and one Delta Effect about Alexa visiting a psychic and getting a tarot card reading. I did a lot of research on the major and minor arcana card meanings and all that to make it more legit, too, but I never found the time and place for it.

In Delta Effect, I like how "Heist" and "Two Thousand Ghosts" turned out. Like, I'm not re-reading them right now, but I think I implemented some good reasonable action in there. On a similar note, the ending segment of Sinnoh that I'm currently working on, roughly 2.5.X or 2.4.X to the end, I have liked more than most of what I did. Maybe it's because I saw the light at the end of the tunnel, that I could let it grow and come to a maybe climactic end. It's just around there that I started putting my characters into some more high-risk situations and explore how they handle such stress, and had some fairly decent character development around there. Alliances being made and broken, all that stuff.

A single favorite would be one of those "and a half" chapters I mentioned at the beginning. One of them is going to be very old-school detective noir. I'm thinking back to those old detective radio dramas*, and am trying to re-create that flavor (if just a tiny bit gloomier or shadowier). It's a lot of fun to emulate that cool, suave, smart type of character who charms or punches answers out of the witness, solves the crime, catches the baddie, and gets the girl at the end. I'm wrapping up that chapter once I finish writing "Moment of Truth" for Delta Effect. So far I think it's a well-made piece of a classic and uncommon flavor these days, so I hope it's well-received. That one and its style-sequels will likely be my favorites.

* (specifically the detective radio drama series "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar", for a good sample go here and ctrl+f to find the "Meg's Palace" episodes, or if you're feeling christmassy, "Nick Shurn". I don't know the name of my favorite episode though (I know the plot, but I can't find episode summaries online), so I'm gradually working my way through the whole thing until I find it.)

14. Sugar

Deoxys Egg
    (Deoxys Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,357.1
    Would you like to go into space one day?

15. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I would like to go to space every day.

I mean Earth is nice and all, but I could seriously go for a change of scenery. I would love to inhabit an exoplanet with just few hundred or few million people, even knowing that it may very well permanently sever my social relationship with everyone else on Earth (you're all welcome to come with me). I've got a pretty good life right now, nothing to complain about, but there's not much rooting me to this life. I don't have a significant job to worry about leaving behind, I'm not a homeowner, I don't have a massive fortune to decide about passing along. Going to another celestial body is probably a one way ticket, and I'd be okay with the change. Even if you lower the permanence of change, just talk about a week long trip to the ISS (or some kind of space station vacation resort that may exist in the future), then my willingness to leave Earth goes from 70% willing to 100% willing.

Not to mention the exploration. That's the thing about our time in history: we're all born too late to explore the planet, and too early to explore the galaxy.

16. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Let's see how much I can provoke the thoughts.

:: Does the month of December hold any sort of significance to you, and why or why not?

:: What things have you learned about yourself from your mental journey? Why are those things important?

:: I know that if the part where lots of fire comes out is pointing to space, then I will not go to space today, but what is the "bad problem"?

17. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    1: Remember, remember, the fifth of Decem-- no, not that. December isn't particularly special to me, it's more like it wants to be special. There aren't any super-significant birthdays in my closest circle that are in December, nor any anniversaries or deaths or any other life-changing event. If something I wanted to do earlier today was able to happen, then December would be more significant, life-changingly significant, but alas it didn't happen. January has a lot of important things, so maybe the postponement of this event will make January even more important-er.

As far as December wanting to be special, let me portray it like this: I have twelve dogs, and each one is a month. January is my favorite dog, always by my side. November is calm and loyal, July is friendly, and they each have their own personality. December is just yapping and barking all day shouting "Hey! It's Christmas! Do important things! Hey! Listen! CHHHRRRRIIISSTMAS! HEY!". Just calm down, December, okay? I like your weather, but if you don't shut up about this two-day holiday that you want to stretch out into twelve thirty-five days, you'll never be as close to my favorite as January and February are.

2: My mental journey? Like as a whole? Well, I spend a noteworthy amount of time engrossed in Daoist and Buddhist meditation, and the thing is, both of those are mental and intellectual as well as spiritual. In these meditations and self-reflections, I have identified that my thought process and general modi operandi seem to be noticeably different from people around me, so much so that I sometimes wonder if I have some underlying mental condition or otherwise an abnormality in my brain or mind. I have a way of seeing the world that many people seem to gloss over, the fine details mostly. I'll use speech as an example. Today I got McDonalds for lunch (because I had some free food coupons that expire tomorrow, but anyhow), and the guy at the cash register says to me "Hi, welcome to McDonalds, how are you doing today?". I think the generally accepted response to that is "I'll take a number one.", but my answer was "I'm doing fine, just fine, how about you?" Let's follow the conversation so far. I was asked a question, I answered it, then I asked another question in response. His answer to my question of how he's feeling? "What are you ordering today?". Man, I asked you how you are today. Sure, you're a total stranger, but I kind of care a little bit about what you have to say. That's what I discovered in my meditations and reflections: that I pay attention to details. I notice changes in expression, I notice when the flowers bloom, I notice the person in the background who seems distracted by something other than the on-the-street news interview that's being filmed in front of them. I don't think most people notice these things, or at least they don't care enough about it to give a second thought. A first thought, maybe, but not a second. That's what I learned about myself in my mental journey of reflections, and it's important to me because, like "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", I think it's best to know the inner workings of one's life.

3: First off, High Five (but not up-goer-five high). I was going to reference XKCD in my #2 answer, I've seen some comics where Munroe makes a similar point that I did, how some people just rush past everything without noticing the beautiful underlying factors of the world. Anyhow...

If the superheated chemical byproduct of the combustion of rocket fuel is ejected in the direction of zenith, that being the opposite of nadir (otherwise known as the specific direction of most influential gravity in the local area), then the projectile which is being launched with the explicit intention of reaching away from local gravity is not moving in the desired direction. Due to the noteworthy mass and velocity of the discussed object (that being the Ascended-Direction Vertical-Traveler Square-Root-of-Sixteen-Plus-One), any inaccuracy of trajectory is exceedingly difficult if at all possible to amend during its journey, and immeasurable monetary funds, laborious manhours, and potentially also the priceless investment of human life will all be irreplaceably lost.

All because the little fire on the rocket pointed at the big fire in the sky.

18. Sugar

Deoxys Egg
    (Deoxys Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,357.1
    Have you ever seen a sunrise or sunset?

19. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I can't begin to count how many I've seen. They remain beautiful and special, sure, but I've watched (like sat down and watched) dozens and dozens of each.

Sunsets: I have a pretty nice view from my back yard. Got a swing that faces pretty much directly west and it's going downhill, so depending on the time of year the sun sets some variable distance to the left of straight ahead. I've spent a number of sunsets with one lady or another watching the sky turn from blue to yellow to red to black, and it's a real nice experience. Not to mention watching at the running track, the amphitheater at school, the balcony of that one special restaurant, working at a summertime outdoor movie theater and waiting for it to be dark enough to begin the show, and even just waiting for the university shuttle bus to arrive. And those are just the more unique specific instances that come to mind writing this up.

Sunrises: Also from my backyard, there's another sitting place that faces pretty much east (it's a stack of lumber). The thing is, there's a hill and a pretty dense forest that way, so in the summer it can be as late as 10 AM before the sun is entirely visible, but maybe 8AM in the summer before its glimmering can be seen in between the trees. My job this last summer had me going to work at 7:00 AM, so I saw quite a few sunrises on my commute in as well. Most special, however, some summers my family will go on a vacation to a certain east-coast beach. Even though I'm on vacation, I wake up before sunrise every day to watch the sun emerge over the absolute horizon, watching with the pelicans and dolphins as the new day arrives. I recommend you do that if you get a chance: watch a sunrise (or maybe sunset) over the ocean, or any other body of water big enough to be the absolute horizon.

20. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽498.9
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    Have you ever noticed that vile from megaman X basically looks like a purple boba fett? This has bothered me since 1995.

If you became an evil dark overlord, what would your top 5 rules be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.